Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Telework mods for an RV

Does anyone telework from their RV for periods of time ranging from a week or longer?

If so what types of mods have you made to your RV to make the teleworking experience compatible with RV living and assist in the separation of work and pleasure?

What challenges or obstacles have you faced and overcome when teleworking from an RV?

Although everyone's comments are welcome I'm especially interested in comments from folks that are not self-employed.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I haven't done it from my RV--yet. Both my work and my wife's work allow us to telecommute. Usually its just a day or so here and there but we've often contemplated spending a week somewhere and just telecommuting from there.

The big issue as I see it is if you need an internet connection to VPN into the office all day or not. I don't; since I write software I can just write it on my laptop and I don't need a VPN connection to check the corporate e-mail. My wife, on the other hand, needs a good VPN connection; something that many campgrounds don't really have. Although since we'd be doing it during the week the campground's WiFi wouldn't be overloaded. (We've been calling these possible trips: "Camping and commuting".)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:40 AM   #3
Site Team

THOR #1469
I telework when not travelling on business which basically means I work from home except for 1 week out of every 6 or 8 depending on conditions at any of the client's 15 plant locations. Both myself and my wife considered hanging our hats late last year (prior to age 60) but then decided she would retire and I would keep working as long as I'm having fun doing this, my gig allows, or another two to three years

I actually have to VPN into my corporate network for admin and management type stuff and the client's network using dedicated laptops (one for each network) having different VPN clients. During trips while I was on vacation when the client needed assistance (always happens) I was able to use my Verizon MiFi to VPN in if the campground network was inaccessible. The biggest problem with this to date was in January when the wife and myself (without kids) went to Disney World and stayed at Fort Wilderness. I got on their waiting list for a modem when we arrived but one didn't become available until the night before we left (one week later).

The way I envision this is 4 to 6 weeks out and 4 to 6 weeks home. When going out I want wheels turning Sat and Sun and disk drives burning Mon - Fri.

Certain things I know I want to do in preparation are:

Setup an IT closet that allows for the travelling of equipment while minimizing time required for setup and tear down. The ideal would be a semi permanent configuration where the equipment can be assembled the night before leaving home and then disassembled after returning home.

Installation of a coach security system. A monitored system similar to the one in my house would be ideal

Changing the locks on the coach over to electronic locks for enhanced security

These are the areas where I would appreciate folks thoughts, ideas and any lessons others have learned.

I am hoping to roll out on the first excursion the beginning of September for a 6 week trip around New England.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-11-2015, 01:17 AM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Telework successfully

I had done short 'working trips' in old RV - a few days typically - but last winter did 3 months of telework from my Hurricane... (not self-employed)
I converted the front passenger seat to an 'office' - the dash has a flip out table that became keyboard rest - monitor on the dash... plenty of 'desk space' with the table in place between drivers and passengers seat.. And out of the way of the other RV resident...

For connectivity - I had set up a PicoStation2 to connect to the campground (or other) wifi as a single device (typically they limit the number of devices... this way they only see one) - and feeding a linksys router that was my local wireless inside the RV - my PC and other devices connected to that... All tested on my home wireless before leaving.
(as a backup - phone supports a hotspot which I successfully used - including VPN - and also tested in advance.)
A single switch in my 'IT Closet' powers up the router and Picostation.. Both run on 12 volts. Ideally I want the PicoStation on the roof (TV antenna mast) - and run the Ethernet cable through roof (uses PoE - Power over Ethernet - so only one cable to the Pico) - haven't tackled that yet...

The dependency is of course the RV Park wireless... They had a wireless issue in my section (of course) - so after a week I ended up paying for high speed internet from Comcast to limit my phone data use... That of course discovered a wiring issue in the RV - while the factory cable wiring carried the tv signal fine - it wouldn't carry the high speed internet at all - No tone on the cable tester...
So a splitter outside and a separate cable wire slipped in through the slide track to the cable modem solved that issue (still need to fix permanently...) Used the cable router wireless network and bypassed the Picostation and Linksys router in that config.
I had hoped not to pay for the internet - but small price for 3 months away..
(RV Park is redoing their wireless - and promises it will work better next winter - we'll see...)

Bottom line - it worked well - and I would do it again...
From the nature of my job - no one except my boss knew where I was... unless I told them... and was able to work without missing a beat.

Hope that helps... Feel free to ask questions...
Greg
Old 09-11-2015, 03:48 AM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Greg,

Thanks for the info. If I have questions I will definitely ask.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-27-2015, 12:31 AM   #6
gmc

THOR #2829
Telework update

Thought I'd post an update after a year using my setup - and as I begin another 3 months 'remote' from my normal home office.

My setup (a PicoStation2 to connect to available wifi as a single device feeding a linksys router that provides local wireless inside the RV - my PC and other devices connected to that) has worked great for the last year... The only caveat is the reliability of the campground wifi - but with the Picostation on top of the TV antenna mast - even if the closest hotspot is having issues - I have typically been able to connect to another in the park. My fallback is still a hotspot on the phone that the whole network (or just my work laptop) can connect to in a pinch.

I have not found a reasonably priced 'unlimited' means to actually have a full time hotspot in the RV - so haven't gone that route yet.. If anyone finds a deal - let me know..

Just got back to our winter home - and they did fix the wifi... of course added a charge for it now - but after connecting the picostation to the closest of the 3 towers it could see - the connection has been solid... How solid? well - the wife got a PS4 for Xmas... and first thing she did when we got online was download a 14GB game - not taking much longer than it would have at home (wouldn't want to pay hotspot data charges for that one!)

RV network supporting 2 phones, 2 tablets, 2 PCs, Bluray player in bedroom and PS4 in living area... with no complaints.

Sites wifi is thru Camplink... Wish the cost was a bit less 3 mon about $120 - but so far impressed with their service. No advertised bandwidth limits - and no complaints with my usage thus far.

Comcast cost about the same last year - plus a bunch of setup issues with site and RV cabling for which they wanted to charge me much more...
Old 12-30-2015, 01:04 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
I'm wondering if you've thought about (or heard about) Karma Go. It's a portable hotspot that doesn't appear to break the bank. Runs through the Sprint network. I bought one just to have when the campground wifi doesn't work (which is quite often), or when our school's wifi goes down (which is also often). So far I've like it. AND I like the data "sales" they have, where you can purchase data at a 2-for-1 rate. If you've got any questions about it, feel free to send me a PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
gmc

THOR #2829
I've heard of Karma Go... My current data usage would force the 'neverstop' plan which is $50 a month... and limits connections to 3 devices (I can get around that though...)
At low usage I could see it as attractive.

I like the non-expiring data (on 'refuel' plan) and may look into it as a backup... but $149 for the device to start... then $10-14 per GB (unless on 'sale'). Won't work for me at home (brick/mortar) - can't make a call on a Sprint phone from my house - much less a 3G/4G connection.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo
THOR #2248
I have not seen the MIA folks mentioned here so I will throw it out for those of you that NEED a i-net for real issues, unlike me who needs it for only personal gain! MIA - Mobile Internet Aficionados is run by Chris & Cherie and focuses on i-net availability for RVers whether for fun or for work. I have found their website and newsletter useful!
Here is a link to their home page RV Mobile Internet Resource Center
BTW - is should go without saying I have no interest in their business except as a satisfied customer.
They did mention in their recent newsletter that Verizon appears to be making it easier for folks who want to "sell" their unlimited data plan to do an Assumption of Liability that has been in the past pretty difficult to do except for businesses! So if you need an unlimited data plan and know somebody that doesn't need or use theirs (not me) then this might be an option!!
Old 01-03-2016, 10:29 PM   #10
gmc

THOR #2829
Good one to mention... While I haven't joined their site - I did buy their book in 2014 when I started setting up the RV for teleworking.

And while Verizon appears to be allowing the transfer of grandfathered Unlimited Data plans - a quick look on ebay shows one such account already bid up over $500 - with 2 1/2 hours to go... and a lot of restrictions/opportunities to lose the unlimited service.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:02 AM   #11

Model: Palazzo
THOR #2248
gmc
Thnax for the info. I was wondering what the price range was but since I am not interested I haven't taken the time to look!
Old 04-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #12

Model: Liking the Challenger
State: Texas
THOR #3984
Hi everyone, I am real glad that I happened to find this forum in that my better half and I have been toying with full time rv'ing but seeing as I still work full time the issue of being able to get internet access is one that I need to address before I get past the starting line.

Granted, I just need enough bandwidth to gain access to my companies vpn network and have reasonable throughput. Writing computer software does not mean that I need full time network access, just when its time to test and upload changes.

The other issue is being able to set up a work area within the rv how have others solved this one?

Thanks,

JD
Old 04-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdftwrth98
The other issue is being able to set up a work area within the rv how have others solved this one?
When its nice out I just plop the laptop out on the picnic table
Can't beat that work environment.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #14

THOR #3984
I like that, except from May to October here in Texas, the dang laptop might melt due to the heat.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Like Jamie when it is time to work if it is nice outside I use the picnic table or a small folding table that travels in a storage compartment.

If it is not nice outside I will use the work station at the passenger's seat. Since I have to access my corporate and client VPNs with separate laptops or a laptop and an iPad I prefer the picnic or folding table under the awning.

For network access I carry a Verizon Jet Pack MiFi device for when the campground WIFI is weak or non-existent. I have not yet had the need for a printer since everything I do and/or sign is through digital means. I also have Office 365 on my iPhone and iPad so I am pretty much set.

I had envisioned doing this more this year but the birth of the first grandchild on Halloween resulted in a reduction in the planned travel for the year. The DW decided to be the head babysitter in charge for the first year or two so we will be doing more shorter trips and fewer multi week trips.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #16

THOR #3984
I hear you there about the grand kiddies, mine are all in their mid to late teens so now its just my better half and our dachshund the "diva". The dog is an issue that we need to address too, she is getting up in her years and has some "issues" that would be problematic for entry and exiting from an rv, she is not easily held (50lbs of dead weight to be exact) so maneuvering her in and out of an rv could be interesting.

Y'all take care now.

JD
Old 04-09-2016, 01:49 AM   #17

Model: SOB
State: Colorado
THOR #2733
I'm so glad to see this topic asked on the forum. One of the reasons that we purchased the Axis 25.1 is because of the ready built office in the back. This multi-purpose room has multiple names. In the morning it is the "changing room.” In the evening it is the “way back.” At night it is the “bedroom.” During travel time it is my “office.” It has just what I need – a table and a door to prevent interruptions to my conference calls. I even do video conferencing while in mid-travel.

I work remotely for my job often (not self-employed). We just bought our Axis in November and I've already worked from my "mobile office" (as my boss calls it) on three separate trips. I work while my husband drives. When we arrive somewhere, it is time to stop working and have fun!

Here are the modifications/additions that I've made:

- weBoost Wifi booster. I placed the magnetic antenna in the ceiling vent in my "office" and it is working great. I bought an adaptor to be able to plug it into the outlet rather than the cigarette lighter. I have a Verizon Mifi through my work and using it with the booster is so far working great. I’ve only lost coverage for about 1 hour in north Texas/panhandle of Oklahoma. We run the generator to get power for all the devices.

- a smallish printer/copier/scanner which is housed in the overhead cabinet in my office. Perfect for printing, signing and scanning contracts.

- good quality road noise cancelling blue tooth headphones

- walkie talkies to communicate to the driver without leaving the office

Things to watch out for:

- don’t leave your laptop on a table while getting up to get a drink… one quick turn and it will go flying

- rumble strips – the bane of my existence during conference calls

We’re still learning – but so far I am a huge fan of this new remote working lifestyle!
Old 04-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #18
gmc

THOR #2829
Working while driving hasn't been an issue for me - as the one that works is the one that drives... (me...)

When parked, I use the workstation at the passengers seat typically. The flip open 'desk' holds the laptop easily for the shorter trips.
On the longer (3 month) trips, the passenger seat area has a desktop tower on floor, monitor and laptop on dash (sharing keyboard/mouse between them via software/network) with full UPS/surge protection (on top of the RV surge).
The 'IT cabinet' (just left of the entry door above and behind the passengers seat) has wired/wireless router, cable modem (if needed), a compact printer... The router runs on 12v... a power backup for the cable modem is on my 'todo' list. Wifi antenna goes on the roof (shares TV mast) if extending the available WiFi...

Certainly done conference calls on cell with bluetooth headset while wandering around the campground...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote