Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2016, 02:49 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
RV Cookin recipe's

I have noticed that there are quite a few 1st timer campers that might want a few ez ways to utilize their new RV galley.

If you have a quick n EZ recipe ... Let Er Rip Tater Chip!

Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:08 AM   #2

THOR #3916
Crockpot cooking while traveling. (Place crock in sink, use your inverter or run the gennie)

Figger out where You want to stop for the night,(4 or 5 hrs travel time)

Bachelor Beef Stew.
1lb or more stew meat (nothing fancy)
1 packet of Knorr ,McCormick or Schilling beef stew mix (or veg/beef)
1 smallish Walla Walla sweet onion chopped..or if you are on the wrong side of the country...Vidalia sweet onion
2 or 3 smallish spuds whacked up a bit
1 or 2 cups water
1 cup (or 2) frozen mixed veggies ( diced) I like a mix of green beans,carrots ,sweet peas & corn.
( just keep it simple, I don't do spicy, no salts or peppers)

throw it all together in crock, set on lowest heat.
Hit the road

When it starts to smelling really good,(4 or 5 hrs more or less) Park, & give it another hour or so ,
While you are waiting grab that cast iron Husband whacking skillit and whip up some honey sweet corn bread in the gas oven .. & some 3-2-1 cake for desert!

Put a baking mat or similar under the crock to keep it from sliding around in the sink while you are going down the road
Thor Infinity
Old 04-25-2016, 03:28 AM   #3

THOR #3916
EZ steak when it is wet and dripply outside.....or there is No fires or BBQ's allowed in the campground due to fire season restrictions....

Pre-Heat oven (Gas or convection) to 125 deg. (yes 125 deg.)

Put steaks in for 40 to 45 minutes.. (med rare to medium)
(NO additional seasonings/tenderizing needed)
While you are waiting, boil some spuds for "lumpy" mashed taters and cook a veggie
Git that Husband whackin skillet hotted up
When time is up "sear" each side for 10 to 15 seconds..
Enjoy a tender juicy steak & fixins

Just a note..
if the beef is a thick (1.25" cut) up the temp to 135 no higher!
The meat when you take it out of the oven may look like it hasn't cooked a lick.... but it has.
then sear.
Adding any salt/pepper or other slather only adulterates the taste of the meat and is an insult to the producer.
Pork(and Bear) on the other hand must be thoroughly cooked! NO EXCUSES
Thor Infinity
Old 04-25-2016, 11:58 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We are preparing to head west for a month or so and we do some precooking. I smoke some ribs and bag cut ribs about 10 bones per pack and freeze, they are great re heated on our small weber or microwaved if the weather is bad. We also make a meat loaf and freeze slices which also reheat great on the grill.
Good eats and good travels.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #5

THOR #3916
3- 2- 1 CAKE
These individual little cakes are amazing and ready to eat in one minute! They are perfect for whenever you feel like a treat without all the fat and calories that cake can have. Genius idea!

So Easy!!!

INGREDIENTS:

1 box Angel Food Cake Mix

1 box Cake Mix - Any Flavor

Makes 1 serving.

(Keep reading)

DIRECTIONS:

In a zip-loc bag, combine the two cake mixes together and mix well. For each individual cake serving, take out 3 Tablespoons of the cake mix combination and mix it with 2 Tablespoons of water in a small microwave-safe container. Microwave on high for 1 minute, That's It! you have your own instant individual little cake!

KEEP remaining cake mixture stored in the zip-loc bag and use whenever you feel like a treat! You can top each cake with a dollop of fat free whipped topping and/or some fresh fruit. Helpful Tips:

This recipe is called 3, 2, 1 Cake because all you need to remember is:

"3 tablespoons mix,
2 tablespoons water,
1 minute in the microwave!"

TRY various flavors of cake mix like carrot, red velvet, pineapple, lemon, orange, etc. Just remember that one of the mixes has to be the angel food mix; the other is your choice. The flavor possibilities are endless!

NOTES:
The best thing is, you open both cake mixes into a gallon storage bag, one that 'zip locks' or 'self-seals', or a container that seals tightly, shake the two cake mixes to blend and then make the recipe. Storage of mix is simple, put it on a shelf. No need to refrigerate, since the mix is dry.

Always remember, that one of the cake mixes MUST be Angel Food. The other can be any flavor. The Angel Food is the cake mix that has the eggs whites in it.

Thor Infinity
Old 04-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
I find motorhome recipes hilarious. Just pick up ANY cookbook, or recipe and get to it. MOst fulltimers have figured it out after their first 21 days!

1. Motorhomes are equipped with a complete kitchen.*
2. Motorhomes have running water and electricity.
3. A modern motorhome is better equipped than most unfurnished apartments, or any college dorm.

Essentially, anything that you can cook anywhere in the world, you can prepare in your motorhome.

I migrated from Folding Trailers, (PopUp campers), and their newbees have the same issue, "what to cook"? But then they quickly realize that they also have a virtually complete kitchen and can cook anything.

*Disclaimer: Some late model motorhomes no longer include an oven. However, that is the purchaser's decision to purchase a motorhome without an oven.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
I agree with Beacher you can make anything. We spend our time outside and try to busy all the time, so what I like to hear is ease of creating eats, just like the cake ides.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher
Disclaimer: Some late model motorhomes no longer include an oven. However, that is the purchaser's decision to purchase a motorhome without an oven.
When they don't include an oven the microwave is upgraded to a convection oven/microwave.

We have such a setup on our Axis and love it (especially because we gained 3 more drawers for storage). We've already used the convection oven in the microwave more than we used the propane oven in our last camper (that we had for over 10 years).

In addition, since the convection oven is electric it provides a handy load for the genny when running it in the winter; and boy does it load it down! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:23 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Crock Pot!

I like the crock pot cooking idea!

We have a "full" kitchen in our Hurricane, but it's still tight with limited prep space. I like the idea of a one-pot meal that cooks itself while traveling. It could also cook during the day while we're out doing "things" or just relaxing.

I think I will search for a new small crock that I can keep in the RV. Thanks saddlesore for the idea!
Old 04-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
We have used a crock pot for years. In fact when we were upgrading from the class C to the class A my wife had the crock in the car whenever we were looking a different models. Two criteria had to be met for a coach to be considered. The first was the crock had to fit in the refrigerator and second the unit had to have an outdoor kitchen. My wife will often prepare a crock pot meal the day before departure and it will ride in the crock in the fridge for day 2 of the trip.

Important note, if you plan on cooking in a crock pot while driving find a crock pot with a locking lid. Hot food and crock pot lids flying around during a sudden stop can be hazardous to one's health. That is why we believe in the use of the grill at the end of a travel day.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #11

State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
I find motorhome recipes hilarious. Just pick up ANY cookbook, or recipe and get to it. MOst fulltimers have figured it out after their first 21 days!

3. A modern motorhome is better equipped than most unfurnished apartments, or any college dorm.

Essentially, anything that you can cook anywhere in the world, you can prepare in your motorhome.

I migrated from Folding Trailers, (PopUp campers), and their newbees have the same issue, "what to cook"? But then they quickly realize that they also have a virtually complete kitchen and can cook anything.

*Disclaimer: Some late model motorhomes no longer include an oven. However, that is the purchaser's decision to purchase a motorhome without an oven.
WOW you nailed this one right on the head.... When ever we use to camp in a tent is was always hot dogs, hamburgers and steaks then the first travel trailer we got into chicken and ribs but now in the MH the DW is back to hamburger helpers.... LOL....
Old 04-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #12

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post

I guess I didn't read the original post to mean these are only motorhome recipes. I use a crock pot at home, so the idea of bringing one into the RV makes sense...I just hadn't thought of doing it myself.

I also use my microwave at home all the time, so the idea of making simple desserts in the RV was helpful to me.

We're not full-timers, so perhaps have a different perspective on this, but I appreciate all suggestions and ideas to help make our RV trips more enjoyable.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
.....We're not full-timers, so perhaps have a different perspective on this,.....
Not only fulltimers, weekend warriors, and even the "once or twice a year" RVer can cook anything.

- Casseroles cooked in the oven, (or microwave/convection unit), steaks in the broiler.

- Braising on the stovetop or in the oven in a fancy French made Dutch Oven , or outside with charcoal in a Lodge or Camp Chef model.

- Pizza baked on the Weber grill, along with the normal wieners and burgers.

- Anything on the stovetop like eggs, pancakes, apfelskivers, steak, fish, soups, stews! I just made a nice paella mixta for dinner this past Saturday, (see pictures)!

- And, you can always use pressure cookers, crock pots, waffle irons, airless fryers, popcorn poppers, pizza machines, etc...

Old 04-25-2016, 11:01 PM   #14

State: Texas
THOR #3261
Pretty fancy meals, especially the paella mariscos.

But at the end of the day this bachelor will be getting way more out of the EZ steak, 123 cake, and crockpot traveling ideas. No offense intended. In fact, when I get back home I am going to find out what size crock pot will fit in the large side of the sink in my 37ND.

Hopefully folks keep the ideas coming!
Old 04-25-2016, 11:12 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I may even bring along my Sous Vide cooker on a trip (haven't yet but you never know).

Tried the 3-2-1 cakes tonight..turned out pretty yummy (yeah you can even make them at home. LOL With a yellow cake mix they taste like waffles LOL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:16 AM   #16

THOR #2005
[QUOTE=Beacher;32870]Not only fulltimers, weekend warriors, and even the "once or twice a year" RVer can cook anything.

- Casseroles cooked in the oven, (or microwave/convection unit), steaks in the broiler.
QUOTE]

LOL...I recently made a huge breakfast casserole for a group camping potluck and my baking dish was so big it had to go into the RV oven at an angle. But it came out great!
Old 05-29-2016, 07:38 AM   #17

THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I may even bring along my Sous Vide cooker on a trip (haven't yet but you never know).

Tried the 3-2-1 cakes tonight..turned out pretty yummy (yeah you can even make them at home. LOL With a yellow cake mix they taste like waffles LOL).
Hmmmm....taste like Waffles....AH HA! fry an egg and grab the syrup!
Thor Infinity
Old 11-14-2016, 05:57 AM   #18

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Elevation 3410
State: British Columbia
THOR #5932
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Crockpot cooking while traveling. (Place crock in sink, use your inverter or run the gennie)

Figger out where You want to stop for the night,(4 or 5 hrs travel time)

Bachelor Beef Stew.
1lb or more stew meat (nothing fancy)
1 packet of Knorr ,McCormick or Schilling beef stew mix (or veg/beef)
1 smallish Walla Walla sweet onion chopped..or if you are on the wrong side of the country...Vidalia sweet onion
2 or 3 smallish spuds whacked up a bit
1 or 2 cups water
1 cup (or 2) frozen mixed veggies ( diced) I like a mix of green beans,carrots ,sweet peas & corn.
( just keep it simple, I don't do spicy, no salts or peppers)

throw it all together in crock, set on lowest heat.
Hit the road

When it starts to smelling really good,(4 or 5 hrs more or less) Park, & give it another hour or so ,
While you are waiting grab that cast iron Husband whacking skillit and whip up some honey sweet corn bread in the gas oven .. & some 3-2-1 cake for desert!

Put a baking mat or similar under the crock to keep it from sliding around in the sink while you are going down the road
Sounds delicious have to try it out.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #19

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I have an easy crockpot recipe for pulled pork:

Crockpot (of course) with liner for easy cleanup after
1 pork roast
1 large yellow onion
2 small or 1 large can of Chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
1 12 ounce can Dr Pepper (do not substitute this)
1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (I use Sweet Baby Rays)

Cut onion up in large chunks and layer in bottom on crockpot
Place pork roast on top of onion
Spread Chipotle chilies on top of roast
Pour entire can of DP over top of roast slowly
Cook 6-8 hours on low, or about 3-4 hours on high

Remove roast and place in large mixing bowl, shrewd with forks
Mix in BBQ sauce to taste
Heat in microwave
Spread on buns and enjoy!

You can start this in the morning and then enjoy the delicious smell all day as you are driving, when you stop for the evening enjoy an easy meal. I put our crockpot on the stove grate with a couple of notched boards I made to hold it in place, never had a spill on the road.

If you try and like this let me know, but don't tell anyone, it's a secret family recipe!!!
Old 11-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #20

Model: 16 Vegas 24.1 6 sp
State: Washington
THOR #3051
I need to try this with our pressure cooker.