Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2015, 12:48 AM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Travelling Pets - Who are they?

Folks,

Many of us travel with our furry family members and they often get ignored during the discussions on the forum.

I would like for you to meet Marta, my co-pilot (sorry Kathy). Marta is a Collie mix that we rescued about 4 years ago. Since she adopted us she has become a certified therapy dog and is a member of Reading Education Assistance Dogs (READ). When we are not travelling Marta gets dressed in her work clothes and goes to a local elementary school and assists children having reading difficulties.

In the pictures below Marta is enjoying a camping trip in the snow and supervising the pre-flight checks during our trip to Nashville last November.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marta in snow.JPG
Views:	644
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	837

Name:	Marta ready to go.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	838

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
That is great Dave, If I only knew how to post I would show you a picture of our three schnauzer they are real camping pups. When I bring the fifth wheel home they go nuts check out the truck on every walk. when the cooler goes out than the fun begins
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Here is our motor yacht Captain -- Lily. When we were looking (just looking) at RVs, when we went in the Vegas 24.1 she immediately jumped up on the couch and made herself at home. Well just look at those eyes -- how could we not but something she obviously liked so much. That's our story and we are sticking to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150612_142918188.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	843  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:49 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Dual Fur Co-pilots

Traveling with the fur babies, Click image for larger version

Name:	The Fur Babbies.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	849.

The one to my left in the picture is "Satin Doll". She is a 9 year old English Black Lab (95lb "puppy"). Satin is a registered Therapy Dog and has been visiting Hospitals, Hospice Homes and Nursing Homes for the past five years. My DW had an earlier Yellow Lab "Pogo" who was a therapy dog for 9 years.

The other fur baby (as my DW calls them) is "Munpi" (pronounced moon pie) is a 65 lb "puppy". She is a lab and Austrian Shepard mixed. She got her name because of the white and black mixed chest blaze...looks like someone squeezed a Moon Pie cookie and the marshmellow squished out. Munpi is in training to be also be a Therapy Dog; final testing later this year.

They both enjoy riding and the Vegas suits them just fine.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Two additions to the traveling family

During the past winter our neighbor befriended a stray outdoor cat and was going to "throw her away" when she had kittens. My wife took them in and was going to make sure they got adopted rather than die in the elements. Well adoption never happened and as a result for the trip starting tomorrow we have 2 new travelling family members, Spooky and Sugar. I'll let you guess which is which.

Name:	Sppoky and Sugar.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	892

And ready for Halloween

Name:	Spooky.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	893

The momma, Maggie, is not quite socialized enough for travel so she'll stay with the house sitter and possibly participate in our December trip.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #6

THOR #2142
Dave,

We are now up to 5 cats (not travelers yet) to go with the two dogs (love to travel). For the latest addition, Chester, we are "Foster" owners...over a year now.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:36 AM   #7

Model: Citation 24SR
State: New Mexico
THOR #2570
Meet Henry

Henry is the lucky boy I bought the RV for so we both could go traveling together. Best travel companion ever. Here he is buckled in for another adventure. Henry was a rescue and is about two years old. He was picked up as a stray and afraid of his own shadow when I got him. Now he's been to the Grand Canyon and the forests of Northern New Mexico. Colorado in the plans for next spring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0210-2.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	903  
Old 10-08-2015, 01:40 AM   #8

Model: Citation 24SR
State: New Mexico
THOR #2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Here is our motor yacht Captain -- Lily. When we were looking (just looking) at RVs, when we went in the Vegas 24.1 she immediately jumped up on the couch and made herself at home. Well just look at those eyes -- how could we not but something she obviously liked so much. That's our story and we are sticking to it.
I understand totally. I was so afraid Henry wouldn't like to travel, especially with some of the fear he had after being a stray and in a shelter. I opened the door, he bounded up the steps and settled right in on the loveseat. I swear he looked at me like "Where are we going? Let's ride!" He's a pro at it now! "How could we not" is right!
Old 10-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's RV View Post
Henry is the lucky boy I bought the RV for so we both could go traveling together. Best travel companion ever. Here he is buckled in for another adventure. Henry was a rescue and is about two years old. He was picked up as a stray and afraid of his own shadow when I got him. Now he's been to the Grand Canyon and the forests of Northern New Mexico. Colorado in the plans for next spring.
Such a beautiful dog. I'm certain Henry has given you so much pleasure and good time travels. Great of you to adopt him and give him a wonderful life. We have Lucy, an 8 year old Lab who loves to travel also. She has her spot between us up front so she can look out. Have a couple of small crates placed end to end with her bedding on top so she can look out as we travel.

Dave,
Good luck with your cats on their maiden voyage. We have 2 cats but haven't had the nerve to see if they would behave themselves in the RV. Would probably need to stop by the Vet's office for some strong sedatives.

Larry
Old 10-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 29G
State: Ohio
THOR #3019
Here's a couple of pics of our "Travel Buddies"...
Dixie - a 9 year old Yellow Lab
Gunner - a 4 year old Chocolate "Labradoodle"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Doodle2.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunner.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	992  

Old 11-06-2015, 02:17 AM   #11

Brand: DRV
Model: Dallas
State: Wisconsin
THOR #2170

Name:	10479701_869997743029480_6042057060647647077_n.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1030Starting from the top.....Brighton....Caramel on the lap with Betsy by my legs. Daisy was on the floor due to space! They let me sit on their chair occasionally.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:07 AM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
This is Jed (the Lab) and Tilly (the beagle). They travel with us wherever we go. Tilly's favorite place to perch is on the dash of the rig. Jed's comfortable on the couch.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:06 PM   #13

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Several dogs ago was a big reason we got our first RV. Fast forward to black dog 1 and black dog 2 ... they all have favored camping spots where they can run free!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3541.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	1058  
Old 11-14-2015, 10:26 PM   #14

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
If you are a pet owner and also an RVer and haven't read John Steinbeck's "Travel with Charley" you missed a great book. It's a free Kindle ebook if you have a Kindle. I recommend it highly.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:01 AM   #15

THOR #2142
All, this post will combine a simple mod and an idea for those traveling with pets.

For our last road trip I designed a simple modification that added almost 6 sq feet of floor space and gave us a nice place out of the way place to put the dog bed.

I cut a piece of 22" X 34 1/2"out of 5/8" plywood, painted with some black textured spray paint and then, once we were buttoned down and ready to drive put it over the step well and then placed the dog bed there. Later, once we were ready to call it a night, set it up again and the old lab had her bed over the steps and out of the walk way.

It stores behind the couch when not in use.

Doc

Old 12-14-2015, 12:15 AM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #1052
Awesome! We picked up our 30.1 July 2014 and after the first quick 2 hour drive with the pups (2 Saints and 1 Bullmastiff) realized that the stairwell was not only a waste of space when underway but also a safety hazard. The thought of one of these guys 100-160 lbs losing their balance and falling down the stairs against the outside door was a chance we did not want to take. I built the same out of plywood except covered it with carpet similar to the carpet in the motorhome. Now the dogs compete with being first at laying on the platform! Thanks for sharing with others and happy travels with furry family

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
All, this post will combine a simple mod and an idea for those traveling with pets.

For our last road trip I designed a simple modification that added almost 6 sq feet of floor space and gave us a nice place out of the way place to put the dog bed.

I cut a piece of 22" X 34 1/2"out of 5/8" plywood, painted with some black textured spray paint and then, once we were buttoned down and ready to drive put it over the step well and then placed the dog bed there. Later, once we were ready to call it a night, set it up again and the old lab had her bed over the steps and out of the walk way.

It stores behind the couch when not in use.

Doc
Old 12-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #17

Model: Challenger
State: Florida
THOR #3118
Our pups:
Macey, Jaida and Capone
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Challenger - Dogs.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	1168  
DEimerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #18

THOR #2142
Nice looking dogs.

JM&C spells good RV security!

Doc

Old 12-15-2015, 09:54 PM   #19

Model: Challenger
State: Florida
THOR #3118
Thanks Doc! They are good camp dogs! This picture of Macey was taken at a Off Leash beach in Carrabelle, FL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Macey - Carrabelle.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	1170  
DEimerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #20

THOR #2142
Dale, again nice pictures.

Back in the early 60's my grandfather (on my mother's side) Everett Simpson raised German Shepards and showed us kids the registration of one of his breeders that went back to Rin Tin Tin. Those are big smart dogs!

We are on our second Therapy dog with Satin Doll (our 9 yr old Black Lab) and our third Therapy dog "Munpi" (pronounced moon pie, a 2 yr old Black Lab and Australian Sheep Dog) is in training and should get registered and insured early 2016.

They both love to RV it with us and we would love to get them to an Off Leash Beach one day, hard to keep them out of the pool during the summer!

Doc