Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I have verizion and I called Wineguard they said I needed a sim card, I ask why? It says I can connect to any wifi at a campground or anywhere else. We connected my wifes phone using her wifi hot spot. Now we have wifi for all of our phones and tablets, no extra cost for a sim card
It's not the SIM card that's the extra cost, it's the plan that goes with it.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:55 PM   #22

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
I have verizion and I called Wineguard they said I needed a sim card, I ask why? It says I can connect to any wifi at a campground or anywhere else. We connected my wifes phone using her wifi hot spot. Now we have wifi for all of our phones and tablets, no extra cost for a sim card

You are not using it properly. The Winegard can connect to any WiFi network.... open or secure.... campground or home. You do not need a SIM card to use it that way. You only need a SIM card and a data plan for Cellular data when you don't have WiFi.

Also.... the Winegard has a better antenna than your wife's cell phone. My AT&T phone can have 0 or 1 bar of signal and I can't use it as a hotspot but the Wingard w/ AT&T can often have 2 bars or more and provide internet coverage (and WiFi calling) when the cell phone can't.

It costs more but well worth it IHMO.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:07 PM   #23

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
You are not using it properly. The Winegard can connect to any WiFi network.... open or secure.... campground or home. You do not need a SIM card to use it that way. You only need a SIM card and a data plan for Cellular data when you don't have WiFi.

Also.... the Winegard has a better antenna than your wife's cell phone. My AT&T phone can have 0 or 1 bar of signal and I can't use it as a hotspot but the Wingard w/ AT&T can often have 2 bars or more and provide internet coverage (and WiFi calling) when the cell phone can't.

It costs more but well worth it IHMO.
That is what I'm saying we have unlimited data through Verizon so by using my wifes phone I don't need any extra data plan and it boosts the signal and it makes surfing the web safe because the Winegard has security built in, even though I have Norton security on all my devices also
Old 11-19-2020, 04:01 PM   #24

THOR #12751
Quote:
That is what I'm saying we have unlimited data through Verizon so by using my wifes phone I don't need any extra data plan and it boosts the signal and it makes surfing the web safe because the Winegard has security built in, even though I have Norton security on all my devices also

The Wingard can boost the WiFi signal from your wife's phone with its WiFi antenna but it is not boosting the cell phone signal of the phone itself. If the phone does not have a good cell signal, the Wingard won't boost that signal. It will only boost the cell signal if it us using its own SIM card and cellular antennas.

All I am saying is if your wife's phone has a lousy signal, the Winegard won't do anything about that but it could boost the cell signal if you were using a SIM card and a data plan for it.

if it works for you as is, that is great but you are leaving some of its potential on the table.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:45 PM   #25

THOR #20274
Quote:
The Wingard can boost the WiFi signal from your wife's phone with its WiFi antenna but it is not boosting the cell phone signal of the phone itself. If the phone does not have a good cell signal, the Wingard won't boost that signal. It will only boost the cell signal if it us using its own SIM card and cellular antennas.

All I am saying is if your wife's phone has a lousy signal, the Winegard won't do anything about that but it could boost the cell signal if you were using a SIM card and a data plan for it.

if it works for you as is, that is great but you are leaving some of its potential on the table.
I hate it when companies come out with products that cost extra to use them. All the cameras around my home don't need an extra cost plan to use. If I wasn't able to use my hotspot it would just be a useless weight holding the roof down. Ten GB for 59 dollars is a joke. We do a lot of streaming and using the web
Old 11-19-2020, 04:55 PM   #26

THOR #12751
Quote:
I hate it when companies come out with products that cost extra to use them. All the cameras around my home don't need an extra cost plan to use. If I wasn't able to use my hotspot it would just be a useless weight holding the roof down. Ten GB for 59 dollars is a joke. We do a lot of streaming and using the web

You are correct...... the Winegard data plan is ridiculous. There were some great deals until early this year when AT&T ended the unlimited RV plan for $360/year.

If you do some searching on the Forum, you will find that Cricket has a pretty reasonable plan that works with the Winegard ConnecT 2. Here is the start of a thread about Cricket and you can get 20GB for $35/month.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...a-21352-6.html

I have the AT&T unlimited plan that will end on December 31. I have only used about 160GB and that was with streaming YouTubeTV, Prime, etc. quote a bit on the road when the camp WiFi was not good enough.

The Winegard unit does not cost extra to use it as a wireless router.... like your home wireless router. However, it does has the cellular data feature, which is like adding a data plan to hotspot device, a tablet, etc. to give you Internet when WiFi is not available.

I have cameras and temperature sensors in my coach so we can keep an eye on it and our dog when we are out so I want access to the Net as often as possible so I will likely switch to Cricket net year.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:57 PM   #27

THOR #20274
Quote:
You are correct...... the Winegard data plan is ridiculous. There were some great deals until early this year when AT&T ended the unlimited RV plan for $360/year.

If you do some searching on the Forum, you will find that Cricket has a pretty reasonable plan that works with the Winegard ConnecT 2. Here is the start of a thread about Cricket and you can get 20GB for $35/month.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...a-21352-6.html

I have the AT&T unlimited plan that will end on December 31. I have only used about 160GB and that was with streaming YouTubeTV, Prime, etc. quote a bit on the road when the camp WiFi was not good enough.

The Winegard unit does not cost extra to use it as a wireless router.... like your home wireless router. However, it does has the cellular data feature, which is like adding a data plan to hotspot device, a tablet, etc. to give you Internet when WiFi is not available.

I have cameras and temperature sensors in my coach so we can keep an eye on it and our dog when we are out so I want access to the Net as often as possible so I will likely switch to Cricket net year.
Sounds good let us know how Cricket works when you get it
Old 11-21-2020, 03:47 AM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post

I'm looking into this because after I retire on Dec 2 I am no longer eligible for my employee discount of 20 percent with Verizon...................
Your signature indicates that you are retired military, I am too and I get the 15% military discount Verizon offers (just like I got it with AT&T before switching).

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:13 AM   #29
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
Your signature indicates that you are retired military, I am too and I get the 15% military discount Verizon offers (just like I got it with AT&T before switching).

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member.
I currently get a Verizon 20 percent discount through my employer and it is still more than the Xfinity plan. Even with the 15 percent discount through Verizon it is still more, naturally, Xfinity.

I'm still not sold on making a switch but the more I look into it the sweeter Xfinity looks especially since they use the Verizon towers so there will be no loss of coverage.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:58 PM   #30

State: Texas
THOR #21839
thats what i am trying to figure out...I too use xfinity, there back bone is verizon, I am thinking it shoudl work. Did you ever get any more info...thank
Old 01-15-2021, 08:01 PM   #31

State: Texas
THOR #21839
xfinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
I spoke with Xfinity about a data SIM card for my Wineguard since I already have two lines on their unlimited data plan. $45 per line per month, and really good service.

They are a Verizon MVNO, but the rep said that he was pretty sure that the data SIM wouldn't work in the Wineguard. Apparently their system restricts device types based on the IMEI.

Has anyone actually gotten the Wineguard ConnecT 2.0 to work with an Xfinity SIM?
thats what i would like to know, ever get any more info...thanks
Old 01-15-2021, 08:11 PM   #32

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince View Post
thats what i am trying to figure out...I too use xfinity, there back bone is verizon, I am thinking it shoudl work. Did you ever get any more info...thank
If you look at the coverage map for Verizon and XFINITY there is no comparison. Verizon's map was all covered in red for 5g and 4g Xfinity had almost nothing on the map of the UShttps://broadbandnow.com/XFINITY
Old 01-15-2021, 08:13 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We've always stayed with Verizon for that reason: they seem to have better coverage across the Country...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:38 PM   #34

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Same here, have taken GSM phones along just to check and Verizon always won
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We've always stayed with Verizon for that reason: they seem to have better coverage across the Country...
Old 01-15-2021, 10:49 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The way I figure it: I've got the phone so that I,can contact someone. If it doesn't work when I need it to: what did I save?
I could have spent ,ZERO dollars; and had the same lousy results.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:04 AM   #36
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
If you look at the coverage map for Verizon and XFINITY there is no comparison. Verizon's map was all covered in red for 5g and 4g Xfinity had almost nothing on the map of the UShttps://broadbandnow.com/XFINITY
Apples to oranges. You are comparing Verizon Mobile to Xfinity internet.

Xfinity uses Verizon towers so coverage is the same.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #37

THOR #12751
Quote:

As others have said..... youa re looking at the wrong map. The dark blue is Xfinity and the Red is Verizon.... virtually identical.

I've thrown in AT&T's map as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 6.29.23 AM.png
Views:	2903
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	28066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 6.30.43 AM.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	28068  

Old 01-16-2021, 01:33 PM   #38