Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2020, 12:16 AM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Verizon Wireless vs Xfinity Mobile

Has anyone swapped from Verizon Wireless to Xfinity Mobile?

I am checking Ito this and I found out that Xfinity Mobile uses the Verizon Wireless towers so the nationwide coverage will. be the same. Xfinity's unlimited plan is cheaper that Verizon's and Xfinity does not charge a line charge on top of the plan charge like Verizon.

The other thing I noticed is with 5G coming around Verizon is going to throttle folks back to 4G after a certain 5G data limit. Xfinity does not mention throttling folks back to 4G after using so much 5G data.

I'm looking into this because after I retire on Dec 2 I am no longer eligible for my employee discount of 20 percent with Verizon and it appears they can get real expensive real fast. When I talked to an Xfinity rep over the weekend I can get 2 iPhone 12 Pros and unlimited plans on both lines and pay less that my current Verizon plan is with a 20 percent discount.

Wondering is anyone made the switch and how it worked out.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:01 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations on finally reaching the rat-race finish line (in a couple of weeks!)
Old 11-11-2020, 01:42 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You know their unlimited definition is 20 Gb of high speed data, SD streaming (480p) and "Hotspot" data is limited to 600 Kbps?

40 Gb of 3G data for $180 a month doesn't seem like a good deal.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:44 AM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You know their unlimited definition is 20 Gb of high speed data, SD streaming (480p) and "Hotspot" data is limited to 600 Kbps?

40 Gb of 3G data for $180 a month doesn't seem like a good deal.
Where are you getting 40GB of 3G data for 180.00 per month? Not sure I follow.

Verizon's unlimited is 15GB of 5G /4G LTE Data per month and then scaled back to 600Kbps so it looks like the Xfinity unlimited is better by 5 GB in that regard.

Also, since I have the Winegard Connect 2 I'm not sure I'll use a hotspot. I haven't used one on my Verizon account so I don't think it would change any.

Keep the info coming, it is always good to learn and research.
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-11-2020, 03:19 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Where are you getting 40GB of 3G data for 180.00 per month? Not sure I follow.

Verizon's unlimited is 15GB of 5G /4G LTE Data per month and then scaled back to 600Kbps so it looks like the Xfinity unlimited is better by 5 GB in that regard.

Also, since I have the Winegard Connect 2 I'm not sure I'll use a hotspot. I haven't used one on my Verizon account so I don't think it would change any.

Keep the info coming, it is always good to learn and research.
Well you said (2) iPhone 12 Pros and unlimited plans on both lines which is roughly $90 per line with the phone cost rolled in; so $180.

I look at data I can use off the phone so 600 Kbs is 3G speed and you have a total of 2 x 20 Gb data on the "unlimited" plan so; 40 Gb of 3G speed data.

Don't you need to put a SIM in the Winegard Connect 2? That would require another "line" and it's own data for that line since the two Iphones are on their own data plans (not a shared data plan) so that's another $45 a month for another 20 Gb of data; but you do get streaming at 720P for that plan.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Well you said (2) iPhone 12 Pros and unlimited plans on both lines which is roughly $90 per line with the phone cost rolled in; so $180.

I look at data I can use off the phone so 600 Kbs is 3G speed and you have a total of 2 x 20 Gb data on the "unlimited" plan so; 40 Gb of 3G speed data.

Don't you need to put a SIM in the Winegard Connect 2? That would require another "line" and it's own data for that line since the two Iphones are on their own data plans (not a shared data plan) so that's another $45 a month for another 20 Gb of data; but you do get streaming at 720P for that plan.
Thanks. I'm still digging into it. The phones are under 45.00 per month if purchased before January. The Winegard requires a SIM regardless of the service and Verizon no longer offers an unlimited plan for the Winegard and AT&Ts is ending at the end of the month. The last couple of trips I used the Winegard data plan which runs off AT&T's towers and it is amazing how many dead spots we were in where the Winegard 4G could not connect due to no signal. If that's representative of the AT&T network I wouldn't even consider them.

We have been with Verizon since long before they were Verizon (Bell Atlantic days in the early 90s) and they were infants in the cellular service game (brick and bag phone days). I don't take a change lightly and whenever we considered changing we always found that for us Verizon was the best game in town. Like I mentioned, beginning Dec 2 I am no longer eligible for my employee discount and there will be a 20 percent increase in the cost of my service. A 20 percent increase in plan cost drastically changes the parameters in the decision making process.

As a note, when we are on the road we rarely stream video using our cell service. Before leaving on a trip, as part of pre-trip prep, we find a few things we may want to watch over time and then download them to a device and then run the device through our switch. Works great even when there is patchy cellular and crappy wifi. Since we quit watching sports there is little need for television while traveling so streaming video is extremely low on the priority list.

We have a couple of weeks before decision time so I will continue checking it out.
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I have Xfinity and I am considering moving one of our two phone to it. From what I have seen their fees are very low and the plans are very flexible.

Right now my Winegard ConnecT 2 uses AT&T and my wife and I have AT&T. I like the idea of one our phone being on a different network (verizon) when we are traveling because if one carrier has poor coverage, the other might have better coverage.

I'm trying to decide where I would go with the Unlimited plan or one of the per GB plans. It will depend on what plan I go with in the Winegard unit when my AT&T unlimited plan expires at the end of the year. I am thinking about the Cricket plan for the Winegard at this point based on some threads about it here.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:40 PM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
We have the Verizon unlimited plan (includes data) which is only available in some states and over 65.

I have taken GSM phones along on trips and Verizon almost always had coverage when they didn't.

Tried Cricket and others as well comparing them real time and location and always back to Verizon. Perhaps as LTE develops and expands things will be better
Old 11-15-2020, 02:58 AM   #9

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
When I worked I got a discount with Verizon, When I retired they asked for proof I retired and I still get the discount. Check into it.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:29 AM   #10

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Utah
THOR #19910
Xfinity

I spoke with Xfinity about a data SIM card for my Wineguard since I already have two lines on their unlimited data plan. $45 per line per month, and really good service.

They are a Verizon MVNO, but the rep said that he was pretty sure that the data SIM wouldn't work in the Wineguard. Apparently their system restricts device types based on the IMEI.

Has anyone actually gotten the Wineguard ConnecT 2.0 to work with an Xfinity SIM?
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi (TOAD!)
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Greybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:24 PM   #11

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Thanks. I'm still digging into it. The phones are under 45.00 per month if purchased before January. The Winegard requires a SIM regardless of the service and Verizon no longer offers an unlimited plan for the Winegard and AT&Ts is ending at the end of the month. The last couple of trips I used the Winegard data plan which runs off AT&T's towers and it is amazing how many dead spots we were in where the Winegard 4G could not connect due to no signal. If that's representative of the AT&T network I wouldn't even consider them.

We have been with Verizon since long before they were Verizon (Bell Atlantic days in the early 90s) and they were infants in the cellular service game (brick and bag phone days). I don't take a change lightly and whenever we considered changing we always found that for us Verizon was the best game in town. Like I mentioned, beginning Dec 2 I am no longer eligible for my employee discount and there will be a 20 percent increase in the cost of my service. A 20 percent increase in plan cost drastically changes the parameters in the decision making process.

As a note, when we are on the road we rarely stream video using our cell service. Before leaving on a trip, as part of pre-trip prep, we find a few things we may want to watch over time and then download them to a device and then run the device through our switch. Works great even when there is patchy cellular and crappy wifi. Since we quit watching sports there is little need for television while traveling so streaming video is extremely low on the priority list.

We have a couple of weeks before decision time so I will continue checking it out.
That is surprising to hear. As my Mobley hotspot has been better then my Verizon iPhone. I had to have Verizon unlock the talk over WiFi feature. Funny to have my Verizon phone talking over an AT&T network. But when you live on the road, you have to do what you have to do.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:11 PM   #12

Model: Siesta 24SR
State: Arizona
THOR #1894
I retired in 2014 and I am still getting my 20% discount. I heard that if you showed Verizon proof of retirement you can get the company discount.
I was going to switch to Xfinity but it was cheaper with Verizon.

Also you can get a Veterans discount with Verizon but not 20%

https://www.verizon.com/support/military-veterans-faqs/
Old 11-18-2020, 08:04 PM   #13

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #9543
We had 2 lines on one of Verizon’s Unlimited plans and, except for the cost and fees, were satisfied. Even with my Veterans Discount, we still paid about $120 a month. We switched to Spectrum, that uses Verizon’s towers, so we assumed the same service. Not true. I used to get 4 bars out of 4 on my iPhone with Verizon, but with Spectrum, it’s usually 2 bars, sometimes 3. I contacted Spectrum and was told that yes, we use Verizon towers, but Verizon throttles back the signal for non-Verizon customers. I’m looking at a tower, out my back door, 1/2 mile away. So far that has not been a problem. Spectrum cost for my two lines is $60, including taxes and fees.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:40 PM   #14

Model: 32N
State: North Carolina
THOR #15896
I am a Verizon user that tried to switch to Xfinity for the savings. They had problems porting my I phone ( not under contract) I finally told them to forget it. After countless hours on the phone and at least three times being told it would be cancelled and billing showing up on my credit card, they finally cancelled it. All most impossible to reach them on their help line. BTW I have Xfinity internet and tv. My advice is stay with a carrier that has an office you can walk into when you have a problem and forget Xfinity!
Old 11-18-2020, 09:35 PM   #15

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Washington
THOR #10467
My family switched from T-Mobile to Xfinity Mobile about 8 months ago. We have unlimited phone and text usage and the four of us share 10 GB of data each month. That is really quite a bit of data. We seldom exceed 5 GB. Our monthly bill is $60, $67 or so including the various taxes and fees. Right now, they're having a promo of a $250 gift card for any Iphone. So far, I have no complaints and you certainly can't beat the price!
Old 11-18-2020, 09:43 PM   #16

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
I've been with Verizon from the bag phone days. I've tried everyone else and always end up staying with Verizon. Right now I have 5 phones, 3 jet packs, 2 tablets and a partridge in a pear tree. Any savings isn't worth it to me for loss of coverage and/or speed.

FYI just becasue your daughter gets married doesn't mean her phone comes off your plan, it means your son in laws gets added. Lol. At least they do pay for them though.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:14 PM   #17

Model: Siesta 24SR
State: Arizona
THOR #1894
First Verizon phone for me also

Name:  my first cell phone.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  8.2 KB
Old 11-18-2020, 10:52 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
I've been with Verizon from the bag phone days. I've tried everyone else and always end up staying with Verizon. Right now I have 5 phones, 3 jet packs, 2 tablets and a partridge in a pear tree. Any savings isn't worth it to me for loss of coverage and/or speed.

FYI just becasue your daughter gets married doesn't mean her phone comes off your plan, it means your son in laws gets added. Lol. At least they do pay for them though.
I must be the odd ball. When the daughters got married they became their husband's problems and I no longer paid for phones, insurance or anything else. Works just fine.
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-18-2020, 10:57 PM   #19
mmp

Model: Daybreak 26DB
State: Georgia
THOR #18195
We use Xfinity and it has been great so far. Because we have their internet in our home we don't have a service/line fee. I pay between $12 and $20 a month based on my data usage.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #20

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have Xfinity and I am considering moving one of our two phone to it. From what I have seen their fees are very low and the plans are very flexible.

Right now my Winegard ConnecT 2 uses AT&T and my wife and I have AT&T. I like the idea of one our phone being on a different network (verizon) when we are traveling because if one carrier has poor coverage, the other might have better coverage.

I'm trying to decide where I would go with the Unlimited plan or one of the per GB plans. It will depend on what plan I go with in the Winegard unit when my AT&T unlimited plan expires at the end of the year. I am thinking about the Cricket plan for the Winegard at this point based on some threads about it here.
I have verizion and I called Wineguard they said I needed a sim card, I ask why? It says I can connect to any wifi at a campground or anywhere else. We connected my wifes phone using her wifi hot spot. Now we have wifi for all of our phones and tablets, no extra cost for a sim card