Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Weber Q conversion to on board LPG

Has anyone converted a Weber Q 2200 so it can be used with the on board LPG connection for the outdoor kitchen?

I decided the Aussie that came with the coach is not cutting it and ordered a Weber Q. I would be interested in knowing if anyone has converted the Q to use the on board propane connection and if so what you needed to do to make it happen.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Don't have a motor home, but did it on my 5er. You will have plumb before the coach regulator as the Weber has it's own. I just added a Tee for the propane bottle added a valve & 20-25' hose & now can set my Weber pretty much anywhere on our site.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:55 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
From the days I lived in a cabin with just LPG, I know that gas and LPG require different size jets. If I bought a new stove, I would have to have the dealer change out to LPG sized jets. It used to be a common and simple swap.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #4

Model: Windsport34F
State: California
THOR #3382
Webber Conversation

I converted mine to use the LPG outlet. That fitting was a bear to find. Wasn't on Amazon. Forgot where I ended up finding it, sorry. Even when I got it, I had to file it a bit to get it to work smoothly.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:27 PM   #5

THOR #3610
The Weber Q is a bbq grill, not worried about natural gas, but you are correct on changing jets for LPG to NG.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #6

THOR #3382
Weber Gas Fitting

Etrailer has the adapter.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:23 AM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
If Weber Q has a regulator (and I assume it does) - then you need to tap off the propane BEFORE the coaches regulator...
Extend-a-Stay or equivalent does this - providing a fitting with access to the high pressure (unregulated) side.

If you would prefer to use the coaches regulator - then you need to remove the regulator from the weber - and tap off the low pressure side of the coach.

Don't have a Weber - but use the Extend-a-stay to feed my propane grill with its own regulator... I may change as I have gone thru 2 regulators on the grill... They just don't make them like they used to.

I used the 'low pressure' option on my last coach - bypassing the grills regulator.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:30 AM   #8

THOR #3382
Weber Grill

I am pretty sure the Aussie Grill had a regulator too. Anyway, I hooked mine up to the same LPG outlet THOR provides, and it works. Maybe it's unregulated?
Old 08-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Here is what I found doing some research.

For the Weber Q I will need to remove the regulator. I then need a 1/4 NPT female to 1/8 NPT male adapter. This will allow installing the quick connect fitting

So here is the shopping list

https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Meta...t_sims?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Oatey-31403-Y...CDGAXTN6QHNMP3

The Q and the items above will be delivered while I'm on a business trip this week so I'll make the mod next weekend and do a test cook before the labor day trip to the mountains.

For me tapping into the line before the LPG regulator on the coach would require about 30 to 40 feet of hose. My LPG tank is on the driver's side front and I don't want to snake LPG hose under the coach whenever I setup camp.
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by winder1 View Post
I am pretty sure the Aussie Grill had a regulator too. Anyway, I hooked mine up to the same LPG outlet THOR provides, and it works. Maybe it's unregulated?
The Aussie is not regulated and came with the coach setup for low pressure.
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #11

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
If Weber Q has a regulator (and I assume it does) - then you need to tap off the propane BEFORE the coaches regulator...
Extend-a-Stay or equivalent does this - providing a fitting with access to the high pressure (unregulated) side.

If you would prefer to use the coaches regulator - then you need to remove the regulator from the weber - and tap off the low pressure side of the coach.

Don't have a Weber - but use the Extend-a-stay to feed my propane grill with its own regulator... I may change as I have gone thru 2 regulators on the grill... They just don't make them like they used to.

I used the 'low pressure' option on my last coach - bypassing the grills regulator.
The regulator on ourweber grill has failed a couple of times. I just disconnected the hose, reconnected and all was well.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #12

THOR #3610
If you remove the Weber regulator stand WAY BACK when you light it as it will only have 1 temperature with NO control (the control knob won't control the flame) & that temp is blasting wide open. I know this because that's what I did at first, you'll have to tap in before the coach regulator or choose a grill that doesn't have it's own regulator.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-22-2016, 12:53 AM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Here is what I found doing some research.

For the Weber Q I will need to remove the regulator. I then need a 1/4 NPT female to 1/8 NPT male adapter. This will allow installing the quick connect fitting

So here is the shopping list

https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Meta...t_sims?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/Oatey-31403-Y...CDGAXTN6QHNMP3

The Q and the items above will be delivered while I'm on a business trip this week so I'll make the mod next weekend and do a test cook before the labor day trip to the mountains.

For me tapping into the line before the LPG regulator on the coach would require about 30 to 40 feet of hose. My LPG tank is on the driver's side front and I don't want to snake LPG hose under the coach whenever I setup camp.
Checked a couple of things and realized I forgot to order something. I forgot the 1/8 to 1/8 female adapter

Also, while ordering that I found this on Amazon which may eliminate the need for 2 of the adapters ordered. This coupling may make for an easy transition.

FMCA - F432054
Old 08-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
The grill and required parts arrived while I was on a business trip so today was the day for the conversion.

The parts I used were the 3/8 x 1/4 female adapter and the camco male LPG fitting. Also some yellow LPG tape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	grill 1.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	2826

I removed the regulator from the Q and then separated the regulator from the gas control valve.

Name:	grill 2.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	2827

I then installed the new fittings onto the gas control valve. and reassembled the grill

Name:	grill 3.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	2828

I then connected the grill to the coach and here is what I got based on the Q's thermometer.

Valve on low - 250 - 275 degrees
Valve on medium - 325 - 350 degrees
Valve on high - 425 - 450 degrees

I allowed the control to remain in each position for 15 minutes to stabilize before moving to the next position.

So far I am happy with the setup. Tomorrow afternoon dinner will be cooked in the driveway and we will do a test cook of grilled chicken and zucs.
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-27-2016, 07:55 PM   #15

THOR #3610
They must have redesigned the control valve on the newer ones, I did the very same thing you did & mine had only 2 settings, off or full blown blast furnace..
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-28-2016, 04:31 AM   #16

THOR #3382
Weber Conversion

I just bought the hose adapter and hooked the Weber up with the same hose as the Aussie Grill. I get the same temps as you, glad you posted your results.

Since the Weber's temp gauge goes up much higher, I was a little curious about the max temp I was getting being 450 too. But then I figured 450 was hot enough, and with the cast aluminum construction, plenty hot enough.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
The hardest part of the whole operation was re-arranging my storage compartments. Since the Q 2200 is considerably larger than the Aussie it would not fit in the storage compartment I had setup for the outdoor kitchen.

It took me about 2 hours in 95 degree temps to rearrange 3 compartments on the passenger side.

One thing I did notice about the Q is that, unlike the Aussie, when it gets hot (450 degrees) it takes quite a while to cool down after it's turned off. About 20 minutes after turning this one off yesterday it was still sitting at 150 degrees.
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Just for the heck of it I have 2 hoses; the six foot that came with the coach and an eight foot that I bought for the outdoor kitchen on my prior class c. Today I may try connecting both hoses to the grill to see if I can get some additional distance without sacrificing LP flow or pressure. If it works I might be able to run one hose along the side of the coach to the rear and not have to worry about tripping over the hose or knocking over the grill every time I turn around.

I had a 12 foot hose made for my class c but forgot to grab it out of that coach when I bought the Challenger. I may buy the fittings and see if that shop can make me another and put a 90 degree elbow on the male end (coach connection) this time.
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-28-2016, 03:58 PM   #19
mrw

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4502
Propanegear.com......they have everything including 12ft hose . Under$60.00.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:36 AM   #20
Site Team

THOR #1469
Test cook with the Q conversion

Well completed the test cook with the Q2200 connected into the outdoor kitchen's on board LPG connection. I cooked 8 large chicken thighs and 5 large drumsticks. This all fit nicely on the grill with room to spare. Set the control knob on medium and the temp remained at 350 degrees throughout the cook.

When the chicken was done I grilled zucchini quarters.

I was able to use a "Smoke in a cup - charcoal companion" on the corner of the burner and the grill handled it well with good mesquite smoke.

During the entire cook there were no flare ups and no flame outs.

One thing I noticed, after about 60 minutes of cook time I turned the control knob to high to burn off the grates and after about 15 minutes the grill temp was 550 degrees.

Also, I was wrong on the size of my hoses. One is 10 feet and the other is 8. I used them connected for a length of 18 feet yesterday and there was no apparent reduction of LPG flow or pressure.

The Aussie is now officially replaced. My next step will be to buy two of the cast iron griddles for cooking pancakes, eggs etc for breakfast.
FMCA - F432054