Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2017, 03:04 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #8781
Replace carpet with tile in Mobile Suite

Just purchased a 2015 RSSA Mobile Suite and want to replace carpet with washable flooring. Would like to hear opinions regarding the following:
1. since approximately a third of the unit has factory installed 16" x 16" hand laid vinyl tile, should we try to buy this tile from the factory if possible and use it for the carpeted areas? Does this product wear well? Suggestions for other products?
2. do not plan to do this ourselves, any suggestions for hiring someone? We are willing to travel in the midwest and Texas to someone who does this work.
3. are there special concerns regarding the slides running over flooring if its isn't carpet? How is this addressed?
4. should we consider doing the floor in the slides?
5. any ideas of reasonable cost for this type of project?
6. other concerns we have not considered?
Thank you for your time and valuable information.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:11 AM   #2

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx trio View Post
Just purchased a 2015 RSSA Mobile Suite and want to replace carpet with washable flooring. Would like to hear opinions regarding the following:
1. since approximately a third of the unit has factory installed 16" x 16" hand laid vinyl tile, should we try to buy this tile from the factory if possible and use it for the carpeted areas? Does this product wear well? Suggestions for other products?
2. do not plan to do this ourselves, any suggestions for hiring someone? We are willing to travel in the midwest and Texas to someone who does this work.
3. are there special concerns regarding the slides running over flooring if its isn't carpet? How is this addressed?
4. should we consider doing the floor in the slides?
5. any ideas of reasonable cost for this type of project?
6. other concerns we have not considered?
Thank you for your time and valuable information.
I would contact Slade at Rolling Retreats in Elk City,OK. I ordered mine with the Louisiana cut option. Basically with as little carpet that can be used.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #3

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
I have done this on 2 different mobile suites. It's a fairly simple straight forward process.
I removed the carpet, pad and about 2 million staples myself and paid a tile setter to install the new tile. I believe the labor cost was in the 2 hundred $ area, but may have been slightly higher. We chose a tile with grouted lines and were more than happy with the wear factor. Had no problems with the slides going over it.
Did not remove the carpet in the slides. Could not figure out a good way to hide the transition joint between slide and floor, so just left it. Was happy with the appearance of finished product. Had to balance the furniture on top of each other to allow access to entire floor but figured that was easier than taking them out. Your floor plan will dictate how you have to do this.
We went with a different tile than the factory used because I could see matching problems because of aging, sun exposure and wear. The installer went right over the old tiles and used a floor leveling product at the transition and you could not tell. That was going from a sheet product to where carpet had been. Your individual flooring may be different and require another approach, but we were very happy with the new look> It seemed to make the room look larger.
I would do it again if faced with the challenge. Good luck

Bill
Old 08-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #4

THOR #8781
Efforts already taken

Thank you for your information. We have already contacted Slade (full) and a Texas person named Ernie ( does not do it any more). We have read about someone doing it in the valley in TX but I cannot find contact information. Has anyone had it done at Kansas RV Center (old NuWa factory)? Anyone had it done at other rv dealers or flooring companies. We didn't know if the slides would need adjusting.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #5

THOR #3109
We have the same floorplan/year--interested in how you get this done and how it turns out.
The only thread I remember about someone down in the RG valley is carpet replacement, not tile/linoleum.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:26 PM   #6

THOR #8781
Correction to former post

I made a mistake in my former post and want to correct my error. I stated that a Texas person named Ernie does not do flooring any more. He does not do tile but still does flooring. I am sorry I misunderstood the information I received.

Tags
5th wheel, install vinyl, mobile suite, replace carpet