Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
$1 or 50 cents does not matter. IT IS NOT A WIDE SPREAD PROBLEM! I still want a picture of your paint job after.

Bill

Old 12-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #22

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
$1 or 50 cents does not matter. IT IS NOT A WIDE SPREAD PROBLEM!
With all respect, you may want to go back and read this thread again and compare the number of us who HAVE experienced loosening or popping trim screw heads to those who have NOT. If you haven't experienced it, that's great, but many of us have and would like to see DRV finally implement a fix - it's really not rocket science on their part, it's just caring enough to do it.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #23

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
It's called using the wrong screw for the application or over torquing. Here is a perfect example of using the wrong screw. A self driller screw is used to install the strike plate for the bathroom privacy lock.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:54 AM   #24

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
$1 or 50 cents does not matter. IT IS NOT A WIDE SPREAD PROBLEM! I still want a picture of your paint job after.

Bill
I can not see how it is not a widespread problem. I doubt that they used different screws on my rig and 5 other ones. They use it on ALL of them. I have a small bowl with 4-5 screws that I have found on my floor when I opened our slides. Maybe it is more of us full timers as we use our rig everyday?
Old 12-18-2015, 05:59 AM   #25

Model: 43' MS Atlanta
State: Arizona
THOR #1683
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I can not see how it is not a widespread problem. I doubt that they used different screws on my rig and 5 other ones. They use it on ALL of them. I have a small bowl with 4-5 screws that I have found on my floor when I opened our slides. Maybe it is more of us full timers as we use our rig everyday?
Yep, we found a couple of screws on the floor of our unit when it was delivered too.

Joe
Old 12-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #26

THOR #2053
I also have found screws on my floor. That meens someone dropped them while building my trailer. Ever walk through a new house under ocdnstruction? Or after turn over to owner? Means nothing. Who said I don't live in my trailer full time?

They have built and sold over 8000 trailers. How many members of this forum? IT IS NOT A WIDXE SPREAD PROBLEM JUST BECAUSE YOU EXPERIENCED IT!

The only thing said that I agree with is the inapproiate use of the self drill screws into wood. YEMV. Does not make me or you right.
And your paint is still going to look like crap. Make sure to post a picture.

Bill
Old 12-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #27

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
THOR #2754
Quote:
They have built and sold over 8000 trailers. How many members of this forum? IT IS NOT A WIDXE SPREAD PROBLEM JUST BECAUSE YOU EXPERIENCED IT!
That's a non sequitur. The correct application of statistical analysis isn't the total number of DRV owners versus the number of DRV owners on this forum; rather, it's the total number of DRV owners on this forum versus the number of DRV owners on this forum who have experienced trim screws that have popped or backed out.

I really don't understand your defensiveness on this matter. Why do you insist that, just because you haven't experienced it, that (in effect) the problem doesn't exist?

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #28

THOR #2053
I am not being defensive about anything. Just stating my opinion.
Why do you keep insisting that because you have had a problem that the majority does? You and Cummins are the only ones on this thread that have experienced it. I have owned 5, Rusty 2, Cummins 2. So the majority have not had a problem. Cummins, how about your old trailer? That keeps you in the minority. And I can only remember you as having stated that your OLD trailer had the problem, not the new one. Rynosback? Don't remember you stating they were breaking on your trailer. Could have missed it somewhere.
Time for a new topic.
Bill
Old 12-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #29
MnP

Model: 38RSSB3
THOR #2069
I've got popped screw heads all over my rig. 2014 38RSSB3. Definitely over torqued by installers at the factory. What a PITA.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:16 AM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Its not just you DRV guys. Those square head self-tapping screws are used by every RV manufacturer--there must be a bulk store in Elkhart for them!

Our old Keystone 5th wheel was held together with them, and our Thor motorhome is also held together with them (including the extra few found lying around the empty storage places).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:27 AM   #31

Model: 38RSB3
THOR #2205
2016 changes

I do not post very much, but we have a 2015 38RSB3 andI noticed after owning it for two months that two screws popped out over the left side wheel well so we went to the dealer to tell our salesman about it. They had a new 44 Memphis on their lot that had the same problem. In addition the 2012 Elite Suite parked beside us was the same as well. So I guess it is a bigger problem than some people want to believe, but we still love our unit.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:45 AM   #32

THOR #1658
Quote:
I am not being defensive about anything. Just stating my opinion.
Why do you keep insisting that because you have had a problem that the majority does? You and Cummins are the only ones on this thread that have experienced it. I have owned 5, Rusty 2, Cummins 2. So the majority have not had a problem. Cummins, how about your old trailer? That keeps you in the minority. And I can only remember you as having stated that your OLD trailer had the problem, not the new one. Rynosback? Don't remember you stating they were breaking on your trailer. Could have missed it somewhere.
Time for a new topic.
Bill
Bill,
I do not and will not post the problems I have had with my rig. I will post safety issues and problems that I found a solution to. I try not to be negative but contribute to the forum.
If you are talking about the screws outside on the rails. I have 4 or 5 of them with snapped/missing heads. Even a couple just under the slide. I think they know of the issue as it was one on the things I pointed out that were new on the 2nd generation of the 2016 models.
I had a cabinet door fall off because the use a 1/2 inch thin screw holding the door on and atleast one of them was stripped due to over tightening. There is a thread on that also with a picture of the screw and with the one that I replaced it with.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #33

THOR #1661
Quote:
I also have found screws on my floor. That meens someone dropped them while building my trailer. Ever walk through a new house under ocdnstruction? Or after turn over to owner? Means nothing. Who said I don't live in my trailer full time?

The only thing said that I agree with is the inapproiate use of the self drill screws into wood. YEMV. Does not make me or you right.
And your paint is still going to look like crap. Make sure to post a picture.

Bill
I will be sure to do so!
Old 12-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #34

THOR #1661
"I do not and will not post the problems I have had with my rig"

Why is that? I see no problem with posting what you found wrong and if DRV took care of the problem. Since you went to the factory I would be curious what they did to resolve the loose/popped screw problem.

I am not posting all my problems since I want to give DRV a chance to fix them first.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #35

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Wow I feel lucky, I have only found one screw that backed it's way out on our trailer's exterior. Haven't had any cabinet doors fall off either. That's not to say we've been trouble free but this screw thing sounds "big".

I will say after seeing the build operation twice at Howe I am impressed. Back in 2012 when we still had our '11 Montana we did a factory tour of the Montana plant, the guide "bragged" how they could build 12 to 13 units a day there. We saw workers literally running to get tasks done. In my mind I was concerned with build quality and thought wow they don't give these people much time to do a decent job! It's all about the profit, for every company but at least DRV seems to have quality in mind more so than some of the others.

Dan
Old 12-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #36

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
Wow I feel lucky, I have only found one screw that backed it's way out on our trailer's exterior. Haven't had any cabinet doors fall off either. That's not to say we've been trouble free but this screw thing sounds "big".

I will say after seeing the build operation twice at Howe I am impressed. Back in 2012 when we still had our '11 Montana we did a factory tour of the Montana plant, the guide "bragged" how they could build 12 to 13 units a day there. We saw workers literally running to get tasks done. In my mind I was concerned with build quality and thought wow they don't give these people much time to do a decent job! It's all about the profit, for every company but at least DRV seems to have quality in mind more so than some of the others.

Dan
Have you been in any HOT weather? We had a nice hot summer in NW WA but that is only in the 80's and since have been in the Palm Springs area where the hottest it's been is in the low 80's and we have screws becoming loose and hoping since we came here.

I would advise getting a box of #8 x 3/4" screws and replace the short screws holding your doors in place. The door above our theater seating that literally came off in my wife's hands could just as easily fell on the dining credenza.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #37

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Well that depends on your definition of "hot". It was 14 degrees this morning when I woke up!

Seriously, we have been in warm weather with the Suites, maybe as hot as the 90's this summer, when we were in Apache junction in April it was 85 but dry. Around here when it gets into the 80's and 90's it usually has some humidity to it, helps bring out that perspiration! LOL Rarely do we see the 100's here in WI.

Dan
Old 12-19-2015, 11:30 PM   #38

Model: 2016 38rssa
State: Washington
THOR #3115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnP View Post
I've got popped screw heads all over my rig. 2014 38RSSB3. Definitely over torqued by installers at the factory. What a PITA.
So, the heads have twisted off. Are the screws still in the hole? If so how are you pulling out the broken screw prior to replacing them?
Old 12-20-2015, 03:25 AM   #39

Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
There are specific screws to be used for wood and the type of wood. There are also specific screws to be used for metal and for specific applications. That is the design engineers responsibility to call these out and the project engineers responsibility to adhere to these. That is why I'll make the statement that "RV manufactures don't seem to give a damn!". The money with choose to pay for these 'TOP OF THE LINE' Rv's, there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for faulty material and shoddy workmanship!
Old 12-20-2015, 07:12 AM   #40

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"I do not and will not post the problems I have had with my rig"

Why is that? I see no problem with posting what you found wrong and if DRV took care of the problem. Since you went to the factory I would be curious what they did to resolve the loose/popped screw problem.

I am not posting all my problems since I want to give DRV a chance to fix them first.
I did not go to the factory because I had to help my Mother out after she fell and broke her shoulder. I went to Twin Lakes RV, Jay and Fly got most of the punch out list done. But I will be going back to DRV before my year is up and getting the rest of it done.