Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2020, 01:15 AM   #41

Brand: DRV
Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Fill line clearly molded in yhe cover for all who missed it
ONLY on the cap you posted.
There are multiple different style caps supplied by Kodiak in at least 4 different sizes along with several aftermarket manufacturers. Many do not have a specified fill line.

My Cyclone had 7K Kodiak disc brakes and IS which was later deemed undersized and replaced with 8K parts.

Neither the 7 or 8K caps had fill lines and the instructions that came with the suspension spec’d the oil level just below the fill hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Did you find a cap or axle that didn’t have a fill mark?

Did you find instructions from an acle manufacturing company saying to fill to the plug?

If you did post it

Do you want people to over fill their oil hubs for some reason?

How about posting the Supporting info, not just your thoughtd
See above.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #42
MLP

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_nicholson View Post
Yes black in the center

If you drilled the hole in it, you need to have it replaced. Oil level looks about right. 90 weight gear oil is correct. If you take a flashlight and look under your rig and you see some oil spray around the tire or breaks, then you have a leak. Check often. They don't leak unless the seals are warn and need service.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:31 PM   #43

Model: 40KSSB4
State: Texas
THOR #20710
I highly recommend you contact DRV before you add any oil to the wheel bearings. I had the exact same issue in August, 2020 on our 2019 40KSSB4. The cap stated SAE 90W gear oil but I couldn't find any such gear oil in Glacier, Montana. I talked with Greg Weldon at DRV (260-562-1075) and he told me that DRV changed to self sealed bearings a few years ago. At the time, they began using new plastic clear caps but they failed so DRV just started using the older caps which stated SAE 90 gear oil. Greg told me, the caps on the newer units serve only as a dust cover and not to add oil. Nowhere does DRV alert the owner to this.

You should contact Greg about your specific unit. Have your VIN number available.
2019 DRV 40KSSB4
B&W Hitch
Tenbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #44

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
I guess maybe the first indication not to use oil would be the complete absence of any in the first place. Secondly would be the grease zikr staring at you when you remove the plug. I know Montana may be somewhat remote but I have never been anywhere where you could not find 90w gear oil. Walmart sells it where we summer, and that's in a remote area of Nebraska. Just looked this AM.
What exactly is a "self sealed bearing"?

Bill
Old 10-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #45

State: Missouri
THOR #19360
Talking Oil Bath Hub

Enough with the acronysms. What the hell is a" DRV"
Old 10-04-2020, 05:02 PM   #46

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
DRV quit using the Oil Bath System because for one they used CHEAP components instead of QUALITY proper Oil Bath Seals. People would freak out if they saw a trace amount of oil thad had dust on it making it look worse than it really was.

These seals DON'T leak. Thea are not Cheap but quality does cost.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:02 PM   #47

THOR #2053
Well, if you took a look you would realize you are on the "DRV Luxury Suites" page.

And DRV did not use cheap components. They may install the axles, but they don't build them. That would be Lippert, Dexter or MorRyde's problem. Same as with the brake assemblies. They are however responsible for the miserable job of installing the brake lines and failing to bleed the air out of them.

Bill
Old 10-04-2020, 10:27 PM   #48

THOR #2053
Oh yea, if the trucker does not own the rig why would he want to install a TPMS on it? Did you buy stuff out of your own pocket to benefit your place of employment? You kind of sound like a person who would. Never worked that way in my company. I supplied all the parts and pieces needed to do the job I wanted done. Employees were able to keep their money for their own use. But I was a good boss. Maybe you never met one. IDK. Has to be some reason you act the way you do.

Bill
Old 10-04-2020, 10:47 PM   #49

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Well, if you took a look you would realize you are on the "DRV Luxury Suites" page.

And DRV did not use cheap components. They may install the axles, but they don't build them. That would be Lippert, Dexter or MorRyde's problem. Same as with the brake assemblies. They are however responsible for the miserable job of installing the brake lines and failing to bleed the air out of them.

Bill
YES you are correct, but the BUCK STOPS with DRV.

OH you mean like mine with the brake line being stretched??? MORryde did relocate all my brake lines.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:08 PM   #50

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
YES you are correct, but the BUCK STOPS with DRV.

OH you mean like mine with the brake line being stretched??? MORryde did relocate all my brake lines.

Wow, that is an old picture as you still had the white bearing caps.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:11 AM   #51

THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post

How about posting the Supporting info, not just your thoughtd

How about getting your terminology correct and suggestions relevant to DRV equipment.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:13 AM   #52

THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post

That’s some bad hat Harry
Old 10-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #53

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Wow, that is an old picture as you still had the white bearing caps.
That's Kyle Miller pic of my DRV on the assembly line. Personally I would have never sent that pic out!
Old 10-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #54

THOR #1661
My lines are all tucked in nicely now!!!

Old 09-25-2022, 01:23 PM   #55

THOR #26972
Oil Lubricated Hubs

I purchased our 2017 Elite back in May 2022. As part of the maintenance I decided the hubs needed attention. Two of the four plastic caps were leaking grease. The sales brochure stated that these units came with oil lubricated hubs. I contacted DRV and was told that the IS assemblies came to DRV fully assembled from MORyde. Following installation, alignment was conducted by MORyde.

I removed all four hubs and found they had oil seals, instead of grease seals. BTW-oil seals are are OK with grease but grease seals are not suitable with oil. I replaced questionable bearings and all of the grease seals. Plastic caps were replaced with Valcrum HD Aluminum Trailer Oil Hub Caps P/N ST-375. Amsoil 75-90 gear oil was added to the ST-375 oil line.

After a 1300 mile trip, no leaks. I could not determine why the switch to grease took place but surmise faulty/cracking hub caps were the reason. Switching to oil eliminates the 12 month/12,000 mile maintenance requirement. From my experience with oil lubed hubs I anticipate a long service life.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:20 PM   #56

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad2022 View Post
I purchased our 2017 Elite back in May 2022. As part of the maintenance I decided the hubs needed attention. Two of the four plastic caps were leaking grease. The sales brochure stated that these units came with oil lubricated hubs. I contacted DRV and was told that the IS assemblies came to DRV fully assembled from MORyde. Following installation, alignment was conducted by MORyde.

I removed all four hubs and found they had oil seals, instead of grease seals. BTW-oil seals are are OK with grease but grease seals are not suitable with oil. I replaced questionable bearings and all of the grease seals. Plastic caps were replaced with Valcrum HD Aluminum Trailer Oil Hub Caps P/N ST-375. Amsoil 75-90 gear oil was added to the ST-375 oil line.

After a 1300 mile trip, no leaks. I could not determine why the switch to grease took place but surmise faulty/cracking hub caps were the reason. Switching to oil eliminates the 12 month/12,000 mile maintenance requirement. From my experience with oil lubed hubs I anticipate a long service life.
Sounds like you did it RIGHT!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2022, 05:50 PM   #57

State: Arizona
THOR #27590
2021 41frkmb - oil hubs

I was nicely surprised when looking at my 21 41fkmb that it has oil hubs. I was under the impression DRV had gone back to grease.
This thread gave me some helpful info.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:37 PM   #58

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by What? View Post
I was nicely surprised when looking at my 21 41fkmb that it has oil hubs. I was under the impression DRV had gone back to grease.
This thread gave me some helpful info.
Your caps might say oil bath, but they should be grease packed. Are you seeing the oil level on the cap?
Old 09-25-2022, 06:44 PM   #59

State: Arizona
THOR #27590
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Your caps might say oil bath, but they should be grease packed. Are you seeing the oil level on the cap?

I don't recall if the cap said oil bath but when i and the GM got down on our hands and knees and looked closely we both thought, and were surprised, it was oil bath. I pick up the rig later this week so I can take a closer look.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:35 AM   #60

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
If oil is present then most likely oil bath bearings

Sealed bearings are double sealed, visible through a clear cap and certainly easy to determine with the cap removed