Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2015, 10:16 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
Convection oven/Microwave

We love Pizza and we make our own from scratch. We have to find a way of baking them. I'm working on that.

The DRV that we ordered will have a Convection oven/Microwave, it will not have an Oven. DW is looking for input on the pros and cons of convection ovens. If you could shout out DW would appreciate it.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:09 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Our Axis doesn't have an oven; only has the convection/micro combo. So far we've used it in convection mode more than we ever used the oven in our last camper over 10 years.

We've even cooked a pizza in it (frozen store bought one, not from scratch though). It came out just as good as it would have in our oven at home.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:32 PM   #3

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
Maverick and DW,

we had a combo (convection/microwave) in our 2004 Mobile Suites and I was scared to death to use it! I just knew it was going to blow up on me!

When we bought our 2014 MS, a combo was installed and I vowed to learn to use it! Now, I wouldn't have anything else! My oven is only used now for extra storage
of my pots and pans - lol!

The biggest benefits of a convection/microwave is that it doesn't heat up the RV like an oven does and the temperatures are constant. You can never regulate the temp on an RV oven!

I can answer more questions or give better advice if you'd let me know whether your unit has a metal rack or not - there are different types of combos. Some convection/microwaves just have a round glass base that revolves while others have a metal rack that fits on brackets above the glass base. There are different instructions for use on both.

I can tell you that the convection feature does brown very nicely! I haven't made a pizza recipe from scratch yet, but would suggest you try baking your dough first to cook/brown it almost to the point of being done, then add your toppings and continue to bake until they are done! This would give your crust a more crispy texture while the toppings are not over baked. Let me know if this works!!!!

I await your reply as to which kind of unit you have!!!

Sandy
DW of RustyJC
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:14 AM   #4

THOR #2847
Rusty,

We signed the papers on a 2016 Elite Suite 36RS4. Expect to take delivery March-April 2016. Ordering a 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW, 8' Bed in Dec 2015-Jan 2016. 12 week delivery. Then I get to install the Ovals, Mud Flaps, Line-X, Air tank, Compressor, Auxiliary Fuel Tank, Tonneau Cover, Tool Boxes, Picture Frame & Trailer Saver.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:46 AM   #5

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
We use the convectionoven for all types of cooking. The stock oven SUCKS... I even picked up some no glazed ceramic tiles to try and even out the heat in the oven. That did not work.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:51 AM   #6

THOR #2754
I just checked the DRV website for your floor plan to see if there was a photo of the convection/microwave unit, but they haven't updated the website to the 2016 plans yet!

I would venture to guess that they would have the same unit as we have which has the metal rack in it.

It operates the same with or without the rack, but having it is much easier (to me) for baking purposes. It doesn't revolve around and around! You don't have to remove it and can easily switch between microwave and convection with the push of a button!

When you take delivery on the rig, you should receive a pile of booklets for all the appliances.

BTW...if your new rig comes with a residential refrigerator...oh my! You are going to LOVE it!

Sandy
Old 11-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #7

Model: 41RSSB4
State: Wyoming
THOR #2094
Like everyone else has said, the convection combo is fantastic. We don't have a regular oven either, as RV ovens typically aren't known for cooking things evenly. The only thing I don't like as much is the noise the microwave makes while running. It sounds like a microwave. Weird. It's not loud enough to be a bother, but I can't stop myself from thinking "the microwave has been on for too long" and then I must calm myself down.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
All the above is great information. If the convection oven works so well it seems questionable to sacrifice the storage space for an oven unless one expected to use both at same time, or needed to rely on propane versus electricity for some reason.

We use an oven so rarely (even at home) that giving it up in a small motorhome to save weight and gain a little storage space makes a lot of sense. By the way, is a convection microwave in lieu of regular oven a higher-cost option?
Old 11-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #9

Model: 41RSSB4
State: Wyoming
THOR #2094
I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain our convection combo was standard.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
All the above is great information. If the convection oven works so well it seems questionable to sacrifice the storage space for an oven unless one expected to use both at same time, or needed to rely on propane versus electricity for some reason.

We use an oven so rarely (even at home) that giving it up in a small motorhome to save weight and gain a little storage space makes a lot of sense. By the way, is a convection microwave in lieu of regular oven a higher-cost option?
It looks like the convection oven is becoming standard on most models with the standard oven and microwave being an option.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #11

Model: Memphis
THOR #2341
We (my wife) makes from scratch pizza, bread, pastries, etc in our convection oven. Secret is to preheat it properly.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
What is the best way to clean a convection/microwave. The past owners had something explode inside and left it. There is cooked on ?? inside and normal soap and water will not touch it. It's all stainless inside so you cannot use anything abrasive.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #13

THOR #2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip 500 View Post
What is the best way to clean a convection/microwave. The past owners had something explode inside and left it. There is cooked on ?? inside and normal soap and water will not touch it. It's all stainless inside so you cannot use anything abrasive.
I would try Bar Keepers Friend since it's non-abrasive and safe for stainless steel.

Rusty
Old 11-02-2015, 08:33 PM   #14

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
Thanks Rusty,
I also heard that ceramic cooktop cleaner will work. anybody hear of using this?
Old 11-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #15

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I would try Bar Keepers Friend since it's non-abrasive and safe for stainless steel.

Rusty
That stuff rocks on SS. I have been using it with my SS sinks for over a decade. The key is that you clean with the SS grain.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:43 AM   #16

THOR #2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
We (my wife) makes from scratch pizza, bread, pastries, etc in our convection oven. Secret is to preheat it properly.

OK, would your wife like to share the Secret... We've never used a convection before.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Any thoughts on location of convection microwave versus that of oven, particularly the elevation it's installed at? I know it's a minor detail, but I sometimes find lack of detail planning irritating when put into everyday use.

Most RV microwaves (and in homes too) are installed fairly high, from chest to eye level. By comparison RV ovens are typically under cooktop.

When combined into a single unit, does it adversely affect access to cooking and/or heating?

Some RV convection microwaves are installed under the cooktop (newest RUVs) where an oven would normally reside. I can imagine that making hot chocolate in a microwave at knee level would feel unnatural to me. I haven't tried it but I'm sure I wouldn't like it. I like to see inside without having to kneel on floor.

More importantly, if the convection microwave is installed high at eye level like is typical (Axis and Vegas RUVs as examples), does it then become more difficult to remove a heavy hot dish? It's more of a concern now than 20 years ago.

Again, I know this is a detail, but would like feedback on whether elevation should be considered, or if it's a non-issue. Since we've been looking at compact motorhomes as small as Class Bs, when we see one with a compact refrigerator or microwave installed under counter elevation we pretty much walk away.

Ideally I'd want a convection microwave at chest height like at home but that's not likely an option.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Any thoughts on location of convection microwave versus that of oven, particularly the elevation it's installed at? I know it's a minor detail, but I sometimes find lack of detail planning irritating when put into everyday use.

Most RV microwaves (and in homes too) are installed fairly high, from chest to eye level. By comparison RV ovens are typically under cooktop.

When combined into a single unit, does it adversely affect access to cooking and/or heating?

Some RV convection microwaves are installed under the cooktop (newest RUVs) where an oven would normally reside. I can imagine that making hot chocolate in a microwave at knee level would feel unnatural to me. I haven't tried it but I'm sure I wouldn't like it. I like to see inside without having to kneel on floor.

More importantly, if the convection microwave is installed high at eye level like is typical (Axis and Vegas RUVs as examples), does it then become more difficult to remove a heavy hot dish? It's more of a concern now than 20 years ago.

Again, I know this is a detail, but would like feedback on whether elevation should be considered, or if it's a non-issue. Since we've been looking at compact motorhomes as small as Class Bs, when we see one with a compact refrigerator or microwave installed under counter elevation we pretty much walk away.

Ideally I'd want a convection microwave at chest height like at home but that's not likely an option.
In most motorhomes since the conv/micro is a replacement for the standard microwave it is going to be installed where the microwave would have been. As to heavy dishes, since the size of the dish is limited to the inside dimensions of the conv oven I not sure how heavy you could get with the dish. And to be honest, I find it easier to control a hot dish coming out of a conv/micro at eye level easier than pulling one out of an oven at knee level.

Also, a third function of the conv/micro is to serve as the vent/fan for the gas cooktop so it only makes sense for it to be mounted over the stove.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #19

THOR #2754
Since this discussion is in the DRV forum, every DRV we've owned has installed the microwave/convection oven above the cooktop since it also has the vent hood feature built into the microwave. Normally, when no conventional oven is installed below the cooktop, that space is used for extra drawers in the cabinet.

Rusty
Old 11-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #20

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Rusty,

We signed the papers on a 2016 Elite Suite 36RS4. Expect to take delivery March-April 2016. Ordering a 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW, 8' Bed in Dec 2015-Jan 2016. 12 week delivery. Then I get to install the Ovals, Mud Flaps, Line-X, Air tank, Compressor, Auxiliary Fuel Tank, Tonneau Cover, Tool Boxes, Picture Frame & Trailer Saver.

I would highly suggest the factory rear air ride! At $1,350 or so it's a bargain and it WORKS!!! Pic below shows at least 5,500# pin.

Have the factory tow package with pucks installed along with the factory spray in liner.

Personally I would not buy a Hensley until they make their hitch for the factory puck system. Ridiculous they need a picture frame adapter!

Also be sure to get the 2" riser on the MS frame.

Wife HAD to have the regular oven and gas cooktop. I like the gas cooktop but so far the oven is a holding area!

Tags
convection oven, cooking, microwave