Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2017, 03:47 AM   #41

Brand: DRV
Model: 36TK3
State: California
THOR #2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
I know this changed with later readings - but nothing will 'overload' if it were the case... It is exactly what a 30A to 50A adapter does - it bridges the same single hot to both 'line' contacts - the neutral can still never see more than 50A because the single 50A breaker will trip.

Whether you really have access to 50A or 100A total depends on how the pedestal was wired and whether you are using an adapter in the line.

At new home right now I'm using a 30A to 50A adapter - until I get the new '50A' line run...
Line 1 to Neutral = 110v
Line 2 to Neutral = 110v
Line 1 to Line 2 = 0v (both are same live wire - no flow of electricity...)

I don't believe even wiring a pedestal this way violates any code (at least if it were a single pole 50A breaker...) and does provide '50 amps' - it just doesn't provide 100 amps... likely to be the parks argument.

Rigs that need a true 220V (like for the 220v dryer mentioned) wouldn't work in that setup... Wouldn't hurt it - just wouldn't power the 220V appliances.
What was being considered was IF the same 120vac line was run to both 50 amp breakers and each breaker was connected to each line contact on a 50 amp outlet you could see 100 amps on the ships neutral.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #42

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
gmc=it does violate the NEC since the outlet in question is a 50a 120/250 volt device. The / in the equation means it is REQUIRED to supply 120 AND 250 volt max., not just 120volt. At least in every jurisdiction I've ever worked in. I was an EE and licensed as an EE & master electrician in 17 states, Canada and Mexico.
The neutral could be overloaded in the above case IF it was fed from two separate 50 amp breakers on the same phase. 50 + 50 still equals 100. The probability of anyone in an rv drawing that much current is highly doubtful, but is possible. In this case you would not be using a dog bone (which are perfectly safe) but plugging into a mis wired outlet.
Would it "hurt" being miswired in this fashion? Probably not, and would allow for more current draw than a dog bone would, but still a NEC violation and should be rejected by any inspector worth their pay.

Bill
Old 05-26-2017, 02:52 PM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
What I'm curious to learn now is whether these add-on surge protection devices are designed to trip "IF" a 50-Amp was wired wrong with both legs in phase? And if not, do they monitor current in neutral conductor to prevent damage to RV?
Old 05-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #44

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Basically NO they will not trip solely because they find that both legs are on the same phase. They will read the situation and decide that it plugged into a 30 amp device. They do not trip on over current, that is the job of the circuit breaker. And no, they do not monitor the return current on the neutral. Only that one is present. That would be the job of either a gfci or arc fault breaker. And they would only trip when there was too little return current, not too much.

Bill
Old 05-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #45

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
The power management system on our Mobile Suites 38RSSA will default to 30 amp service if it does not see 240vac across L1 and L2. In this mode, it will not permit the 2nd A/C compressor to engage, and it will load shed. I have firsthand knowledge of this since the 50 amp receptacle in the wash rack at the storage facility we use is miswired with both hot legs on the same phase.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote