Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2016, 02:43 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
The 5ver is back home

Well across the street from where it was born, at the new service center. Not looking forward to getting up at 5:15 AM to meet the tech.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:19 AM   #2

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
What kind of issues are you having Ryan, nothing serious I hope?

I hope to not have to visit that place for a long while

Dan
Old 10-31-2016, 10:19 PM   #3

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
I will NEVER visit that place again!!!
Old 10-31-2016, 10:42 PM   #4

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
What kind of issues are you having Ryan, nothing serious I hope?

I hope to not have to visit that place for a long while

Dan
Working on the punch list.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:43 PM   #5

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I will NEVER visit that place again!!!
We did get Fred to work on the rig.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:04 PM   #6

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
Our 2004 never made it back to Howe in the 10 years we owned it. Our 2014.5 went through there on the highway from the Indiana Turnpike to Shipshewana but didn't stop at the DRV facilities - heck, it's never been to a dealer or any service facility since we bought it in May 2014.

Our daughter and son-in-law's experience in Howe with their Mobile Suites was, shall we say, less than pleasant....

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #7

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
We did get Fred to work on the rig.

I am glad you did! Kevin is a nice guy but he is NOT the Craftsman Fred is.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #8

THOR #1658
Day 4 has started. So glad that the weather has been GREAT! I even buffed and waxed the Ram the ther day. Kinda shocked that Ed has not come out to introduce himself.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #9

THOR #2754
Quote:
Kinda shocked that Ed has not come out to introduce himself.
Maybe they've locked Ed in his office....

Rusty
Old 11-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #10

THOR #1661
Quote:
Day 4 has started. So glad that the weather has been GREAT! I even buffed and waxed the Ram the ther day. Kinda shocked that Ed has not come out to introduce himself.
He won't!!! He is a WEASEL. If you see something that is not getting done go talk to him NOW. Ask Fred to look at the list to see how many "NO's" there are.

I can say these things with a VERY straight face since I have been there and done that!
Old 11-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #11

THOR #2754
Quote:
I can say these things with a VERY straight face since I have been there and done that!
I haven't, but as I posted above, our kids have with their MS, and I've heard their horror story.

Rusty
Old 11-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #12

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I haven't, but as I posted above, our kids have with their MS, and I've heard their horror story.

Rusty
We were VERY excited to have the Factory do our warranty work at the end of our one year warranty. To say the least that excitement was SHATTERED!

Our experience at MORryde was BETTER than we expected!!!

Rusty you and your Bride are lucky, sorry about your kids experience.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #5807
Quote:
We were VERY excited to have the Factory do our warranty work at the end of our one year warranty. To say the least that excitement was SHATTERED!
For us newbies to the DRV product, can you sum up your experience at the factory? You had so many things wrong that you had to take the unit back to the manufacturer?? Makes me a little gun shy about putting down my deposit next month. I thought these were suppose to be one of the highest quality rigs out there. I know there will be little things that creep up, I've been RV'ing for 20 years, but I never had to take a unit back to the factory for repair. Were these things that Slade could not accomplish? Would you mind sharing your "punch list" you gave the factory so I can have some idea of what to expect in the first year of ownership?

Based on your one year, are there items you would recommend to pay close attention to during the delivery process? Having spent over 20 years as both an aircraft mechanic and aviator, I find myself quite a stickler for details.

Thanks for any advice/forewarning you can provide.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #14

THOR #2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsb1993 View Post
For us newbies to the DRV product, can you sum up your experience at the factory? You had so many things wrong that you had to take the unit back to the manufacturer?? Makes me a little gun shy about putting down my deposit next month. I thought these were suppose to be one of the highest quality rigs out there. I know there will be little things that creep up, I've been RV'ing for 20 years, but I never had to take a unit back to the factory for repair. Were these things that Slade could not accomplish? Would you mind sharing your "punch list" you gave the factory so I can have some idea of what to expect in the first year of ownership?

Based on your one year, are there items you would recommend to pay close attention to during the delivery process? Having spent over 20 years as both an aircraft mechanic and aviator, I find myself quite a stickler for details.

Thanks for any advice/forewarning you can provide.
Just to reassure you a bit before Ron responds to your post, we've been DRV owners since 2004. We owned a 2004 Mobile Suites 36RE3 and now a 2014.5 Mobile Suites 38RSSA. Neither EVER went back to Howe, Indiana for service or repairs. The 2004 went to a dealer twice in 10 years, both during the warranty period - once for a broken gear in a slideout gearbox (the 2004 had electric slideouts) and once for a defective Dometic refrigerator cooling unit. The 2014.5 has never been back to a dealer since we took delivery in May 2014.

Have there been items that required repair? Of course - that's part of owning an RV, but none that I couldn't handle myself. Nothing major enough to require the services of a repair facility or the factory.

Rusty
Old 11-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #15

THOR #5807
Thanks Rusty, that is much appreciated. Can you expand on the "horror story" your kids experienced with their MS?
Old 11-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #16

THOR #1661
The list actually ended up a bit over 100.

Did not have to go to the factory we did need to got to MORryde to add the risers so we figured the factory would be the best place. Looking back I wish we had RollingRetreats do the punch list!!!

Ed did not talk to us until we noticed all the NO's on our list and then it was like talking to a brick wall. With statements like "I have seen worse on million dollar homes". Simply amazing!!! I told him I guess I can't make you do these things that should be fixed but I sure can use my words, as I am stating my factual experience.

1. These pictures show that there ate several places on the exterior where the trim screws have either broken off. I would like the larger screws added in place of all the flat head screws. Looks like that is the new DRV standard. I had this same problem with our 07.5 MS.

2. All the wheels have some sort of residue that will not just wash off, I would guess overspray. also one of more wheels had a scrape as shown in pic.

3. There is a white residue on a lot of the exterior that needs to be cleaned off I would guess posh compound. Its in and around the screws and many other places.

4. Pic showing battery, center RED cable needs to be re routed. It’s difficult to add water.
5. Floor register near Frig scratched. Broken trim at bottom stairs. Also register near dining table is installed very out of square to the flooring.

6. Several floor creeks near the registers.

7. The under carriage pops and creaks with slight inside movement.

8. When upstairs laying in beg the RV has a LOT of side to side movement when some is just walking around, MUCH more than the 07.5 MS did. The lower level is stable.

9. Gas to cooktop was not working when we received the RV. So after pulling the cooktop and looking and feeling around I found the magnets that control the gas valve.
Also as you can see the copper line was rubbing on a sharp surface so I covered it with a rubber hose. I have no Idea where the magnetic switches are supposed to be “glued” on so they are taped together so we can use our cooktop.

10. While trying to re install the black cooktop that was EXTREMELY hard to get snapped back in place because there is a black bracket at the back right hand corner that would not allow the top to just snap into place like it should have the black cooktop has a big chip in the porcelain where the clip is mounted underneath. So I would like a replacement cook top.

11. Below you can see the poor job of cleaning off the wood putty. There are MANY places that the putty was not even wiped off. This can be a real problem because the Putty etches into the finish.

12. The cooktop counter that raises up will have to be replaced it fits so poorly there is nothing that can be done but to replace the top with another pc and scribe it to fit, possible relocate the cook top cover PC and the pc to the left could be re adjusted since the front edge is WAY off from being parallel to the draw fronts. Note the front edge of the stove portion of the counter does not flush out with the two pcs on the sides. Now that I think more about it all three pcs on the cooktop slide should be cut loose and they should be able to be all aligned with each other.. The cooktop portion sits lower than the tops on each side.

13. The Island top it is the perfect size and shape overall but they cut the whole on the wrong place for the sink. The sink is flush on one side and the top overhangs the sink by 1/2” on the other side. There should be a 1/4” overhang all around. You would think at first the sink could be just moved over but that sadly is not the case, They have jammed the sink tight to the sink cabinet on the left and shifted the top as far as they could with out the cabinet box actually showing if they moved the top any further. I have a hard surface contractor that has looked at this problem and he is in agreement they need to make a new top with the sink hole in the correct place. The sink hole should have been cut out 1" to the right from where is in the top since it is tight to the left side of inside sink cabinet and there is a 2” gap to the right of the sink to the inside right of the sink cabinet.

14. Looking into the toilet the seal is way off center I assume there is a manufacturing defect?

15. The pantry was built WAY out of square! 5/8” in the side depth measuring to the line in the flooring. Also the front is visibly way out of square to the Clg fan and the clg panel strip. The side paneling is sticking out past the face frame on the door side of the pantry cabinet. Upper right hand door is warped.

16. There is a major gouge in the wood light assembly above the sink Island next to one of the puck lights. Actually next to the puck light trim that fell off and broke hitting the quartz top. NEED replacement light trim. Wood gouge will need some TLC!

17. Poor fit on many miters and butt joints along with putty missing. One glaring one is above the micro, the joint should have been behind the fancy divider block as the trim joint was done on the door slide. See pic with chipped trim butt joint. Both pcs need replacing and joint hidden behind block as on other slide. Crown moulding at pocket door living room side is falling down and a pc of Crown has a big bow in it from not being nailed above the bed slide at the sloped portion off the roof.

18. Toilet vanity poor putty color choice need proper putty.

19. The horizontal paneling above TV upper cabinets and above micro cabs with pucks should have been the wood paneling!

20. The routed flutes are not centered over the micro nor are the 3 puck lights. In my opinion this is a result of having a larger upper cabinet to the right of micro than to the left. The upper cabinets should have been of equal width. Bottom line the whole assembly looks bad. Very unbalanced and looks just pieced together.

21. The bottom of the right hand door above the micro has a finishing defect it has a fogged look in the lacquer. Nothing can be done but re finish or replace. If replacing I am concerned with the new door not matching the others.

22. The pull on the cabinet above toilet is not drilled parallel to doors edge. Left door.

23. Also there is excess caulking all over countertops that need to be razor scraped off also the right side splash in kitchen is covered in caulking is pic.

24. Right side of vanity outside corner trim is damaged probably from installing quartz late in process. looking at mirror above sink the 1/4 round is not fit well to the inside corner.

25. The first rain we had with the toilet fan open and running resulted in water all over the floor because the sensor does not work. Really does not matter now we installed Fantastic Vent covers.

26. JUST A FYI. The toilet water supply was barely connected to the back of the toilet, it was cross connected. Lucky we were home she woke me up in the middle of the night telling me there was water all over the floor. The waterline was cross threaded and was easily fixed but really sad something like that could have happened!

27, A few valances are not level and need adjusting. One in door slide next to door is WAY our of level.

28. Gaping trim at controll panel area left side.

29. A lot of the doors need to be adjusted, reveals are not even.

30. Valance with chip out of wood is at the back window.

31. Shallow drawer above fireplace the drawer box was cut down in height on a table saw and it looks like the blade was extremely dull. The box needs to be removed from the drawer face and guides then sand the top edges of the box until it looks like the others.

32. Screw literally fell out of toilet door strike plate! Why does DRV think they can use self drilling screws on wood????????? I found a longer black wood screw and fixed the problem. My big concern is I am willing to bet they used self drilling screws to hold up the pocket door track. I know from personal experience over time the track will separate from the structure it’s attached to.

33. Horrible installation of the TV in bedroom. I have since fixed the installation of the TV and it is now parallel to the side sloped pcs as it should have been.

34. The theater seating has a hole in the fabric on the center sections back. The delivering driver pointed this out to Alicia and is fully aware of this problem.

35. The sliding portion of the screen door that had scratches. Alicia knows about this.

36. Floor tiles ordered and replacement tiles to fix damaged floor from factory. Alicia sent tiles to me for scratches she knew about. They did not arrive in time for her to fix. I have them, please replace. I think there are 2-3. Some tiles need to be heated and stuck back down in toilet area.

37. Coffee table finish is not the same look as the rest of the wood in the RV. Needs to be refinished or replaced with one that looks like the rest of the wood finish?????

38. Behind the toilet the wood paneling has a bout a 1-1/2” long indention into the panel. Fix is to replace the panel.

39. I have not even washed the RV yet so there may be other issues to be addressed along with the roof as I have not looked at the caulking . I will be removing all AC covers to see if the foam is sealing properly keeping hot air from the cool side.

A couple things on this list do not have pics. I will try to send those.

#40. There is a lot of “WHITE” suff in crevices and in general all over the paint job. There is caulk smeared beyond where it should be onto the paint in many places. There is a large gouge on the paint at the frond door side scare light, looks like caulk was used to try to fill. Needs to be properly fixed.

41. On the ends of each slide the paint is scratched, smudged, chipped and all around need a lot of attention.

42. The paint on the rubber roof where it comes over the edge needs a lot of work as shown in pics, looks like masking blew up onto green paint.

43. The roof is covered with peoples boot and shoe marks.

44. There is sawdust in the skylight that can be seen from inside the shower.

45. The aluminum wheels have some type if overspray on them.

46. The roof ladder is the ONLY place on the entire roof that was properly caulked. RR did re caulk some of the areas but IMHO still not what I have seen on other DRV products. Back drivers corned needs to be worked on in the painted area.

47. Both the dryer and micro exhaust hoods are chipped in several places.

48. Would like to confirm micro is actually sending air outside.

49. I would assume there should be some type of screen under the Gen to keep critters out as part of the GEN prep?

50. Two areas at the back underbelly near spare tire there are cut sections that need to be sealed, look the entire underbelly over and penetrations.

51. The back-door side-bottom side panel where it comes under the RV is bent down and is not safe.

51. The drivers side trim pc at wheel opening is coming loose. I would guess a case of using self drilling screws!

52. The slam compartment doors, all the paint stripes would line up if all the doors were lower. Adjust the doors down to properly align stripes or re paint.

53. The entire exterior really needs a lot of work. Several orange peel areas. In general it is a beautiful paint job but still needs the final touches that should not have came to the customer that way!

54. Damaged corner moulding right side of vanity top mentioned before.

55. Poor fitting inside corner moulding back right side corner vanity.

56. Apply a small pc of 1” high by 1/8” thick trim to cover loose paneling.

57. Add filler pc to right side of first stair riser to fill in dirt catch when replacing broken bottom trim pc mentioned before.

58. Attach loose trim at left side of stairs. In general look for loose boards.

59. Loose Crown at pocket door, bed, above entry door.

60. Top drawer right side closet does not “Self Retract”.

61. This shower drain strainer is unacceptable, I have stepped on it more than once and lifted my foot and stepped down to find it has come loose and is digging into my foot. Sorry for the untidy pic!

62. Crown moulding at right side of Kitchen slide not even close to fitting wall. Two other locations similar down below.

63. Loose Crown above entry door.

64. Pic showing how out of square the pantry assembly is.

65. Lower clock so it’s centered in opening.

66. Several smudges on white clg thru out.

67. Construction debris in many lights also the skylight in shower.

68. The MorRyde bracket is fractured because the “L” clip welded to the frame was set too far away and caused the MorRyde bracket to fracture when tightened. Pointing this out so if MorRyde needs to charge for fixing this when adding the 2” riser you will know why.

69. Grey tank sensor was working fine now it’s not.

70. Door slide trim is sticking above crown moulding on right side. Needs to be cut off.

71. Check adjustment on all three slides.

72. Kitchen slide under refrigerator there is a hole in the weatherstrip you can see daylight thru.

73. Pocket door is rubbing, not bad.

74. Grab handle going outside bad spot behind it.

75. Install Manual fan control for fan above pantry as originally ordered, I have the controls.

76. Fireplace stays on, repair. This may be on other list.

77. Adjust drawer fronts and Fireplace to be level.

78. Kitchen slide at roof, tape needs to be repaired. Eternabond?

79. Left Coax connection at Winegard Sat Dish loose.

80. How to operate cable driven bedroom slide manually.

81. Re attach light valances at L & R sides of micro to fix gaps.

82. Please confirm exhaust fan at micro is actually working. Makes noise and sounds the same on each level.

83. Provide extra wood putty.

84. Repair paint issues on three locations in pics below. Roof caps and propane door.

85. Lots of cold air coming in at Credenza in winter.

86. Extra LED lights large and small. For future stock.

87. Make all 3 red LED tail lights come on when turn signal is turned on at each side like our 07.5 was.

88. Lots of dirt and hand prints on white clg. I have cleaned off most already.

89. How to shut off inverter?

90. Having issues with GEN kicking out. I think a little breaker adjustment would help. Too much load on one of the legs.

91. Where 4th slide would be, bottom drawer both guides need to be replaced, my fault !

92. Shower mixing valve, the finish is peeling off. If replacing the assembly replace with brushed nickel if possible.

93. HDMI from main to to bedroom not there????? Nor to outside TV.

94. Seminar on how the stereo works.

95. Having problems with pantry shelving coming off side supports. Add one shelf to pantry.

96. Can’t use both holes in GFI receptacle next to front door outside. Metal in the way.

97. Latch broke on piano hinge door in front of dryer.

98. Screw popped out holding plastic guide to keep main sliding door aligned with track at upstairs closet.

99. Shelf edge under sink has fallen off and edge of shelf is damaged, actually was damaged from factory before shelf fell off.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #17

THOR #2754
Quote:
Thanks Rusty, that is much appreciated. Can you expand on the "horror story" your kids experienced with their MS?
The kids took their 2011 Mobile Suites back to DRV for body repairs after a failure of a Goodyear G114 tire. After the body work was completed, DRV sent them to (IIRC) Classic Body and Paint in White Pigeon, Michigan to have the paintwork done. Both the body and paint work were to be paid on DRV's invoice.

To make a long story as short as possible, Classic messed up the first attempt at paint so badly (runs, sags, fisheyes, dirt in the paint, mismatched colors, etc.) that the kids refused to pick it up and asked DRV to intervene with Classic (their subcontractor) to make things right. They were basically told that it's not DRV's problem and it's up to them to work it out. Classic took a second try, and it wasn't much better than the first. Despite the fact that DRV had issued the order to Classic for the paint work and the kids hadn't signed anything with Classic, the owner refused to let them take the 5th wheel off the premises until they (the kids, not DRV) paid him for the paint work. It wound up that law enforcement was called in to force the owner to release the 5th wheel since he didn't have a signed work order (and, therefore, a mechanic's lien) with the kids. The kids paid DRV for the body work but refused to accept and pay for the paint work. DRV's position was that they should have paid Classic, and the kid's position was that Classic was a DRV subcontractor and they owe Classic nothing. Suffice it to say that neither party was satisfied when the kids left Howe.

Rusty
Old 11-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #18

THOR #5807
Cummins/Rusty,

Thank you both for taking the time to share your experiences. That's quite a list Rusty! My last trailer (a $30K bumper pull) had better fit and finish than what you are describing and that was after 10 years and 50K miles of service including two trips up to Alaska and back. Not to mention two growing boys doing the best they could to destroy it! .

I may be reconsidering DRV. At this price point, I would not expect those types of issues...squeaky sub-floors and out of square cabinets??? Really?? For half the cost, I can get into a nice fiver of "good" quality and in five years, buy another brand new one and be in for the same amount. Hmmmmmmm.....
Old 11-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #19

THOR #2754
Quote:
Cummins/Rusty,

That's quite a list Rusty!
A minor point - that was Ron's 99 point list, not mine.

Rusty
Old 11-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #20

THOR #5807
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
A minor point - that was Ron's 99 point list, not mine.

Rusty
Apologies...that's my old age (um..experience) kicking in.

Now, why did I just walk into the garage??