Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Tennessee
THOR #1668
Cargo Carriers

Ok, so I'm thinking about installing a cargo carrier (as big as I can find) to my rear reciever hitch on my coach. Then add some sort of extra support to counter any extra bouncing going on back there. This would serve as a perfect spot for a portable inverter generator and my dewalt air compressor. I'm thinking about getting the Honda EU7000is inverter (262 lbs) & my compressor is about 70 lbs. Maybe a few more items but try to stay under 500 lbs. Anyone been there done this? Any advice?

Old 04-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I used one last year before I bought a toad.

Mine was made by Stromberg-Carlson (CC100), and I also bought the optional bike tire brackets (CC125). It measures 23x60, and it's supposed to support 500lbs.

I carried the bikes and a couple of the 2x12 ramps I made to level the coach. I also often threw a couple of bundles of firewood on the rack as we entered the campgrounds.

I also used it once last year for my Honda EU2000 (without the bikes), which more than handled the weight. The EU2000 only weighs about 50lbs though.

I bought it when I had a boat, so I just kept it when we got rid of the boat. And although I have an Onan 4000 genny on the coach, I often use the EU2000 as it sips gas, and is much quieter than the Onan. And I can pretty much run everything except for the Air Conditioner from it.

But I don't take the Honda unless we are going boondocking - which is only maybe once or twice a year.

I can't put it on the toad as it fits a 2" receiver and the toad has a 1 1/4" receiver, so I bought a different bike rack. And I no longer have to carry the 2x12 ramps as I now have hydraulic levelers.

I bought this carrier about the same time I got my welder, so as mischievous as I am, I did some welding on the carrier. Not that it needed it, but I wanted to try my welder out, and this was the only thing nearby.

On the rare occasion I don't take the toad, I can still use it.

I also carry an air compressor, but it's mounted on the inside storage compartment (bolted through the floor):

Old 04-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
What are the "boxing gloves" for on your ladder?

Bruce
Old 04-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Im interested in the hydraulic levelers. What did you put on and how much coin where they. Thanks
Old 04-08-2015, 11:38 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
i have not, but I've been thinking of getting some sort of carrier like this
I want it mainly for the occasional need to carry firewood and the like....

I remember looking at some travel trailers that had a carrier hinged to the rear bumper, that would fold up vertically when not needed, and I've been looking for some sort of store-bought solution like that, rather than hitch mount

My conflict is my need to carry 5 bikes + my hope to someday tow my boat or a car.....
Old 04-09-2015, 12:06 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
What are the "boxing gloves" for on your ladder?

Bruce
I took that photo last year, not long after I took the cover off. Those "gloves" are pieces of foam pipe insulation I put over the sharp edges of the ladder to keep it from damaging the cover. I usually throw them in the trash, but I had not removed them yet.

But it never occurred to me that they look like boxing gloves.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Im interested in the hydraulic levelers. What did you put on and how much coin where they. Thanks
After one season with 2x12 ramps, I had enough.

I installed "Bigfoot" levelers from Quadra Mfg. Luckily, they are located in SW Lower Michigan (White Pigeon, MI), about an hour from where I live, so I was able to have them installed at the factory.

They have a couple of different types. The one I bought was a manual system (EEZ Levelers) - wherein you have to lower each pair of jacks with a wireless remote. They are considered manual as you have to use a level to lower each pair of jacks to the appropriate point of leveling the coach.

They also have an automatic system that is a one button leveling (but no wireless remote). With that system, you simply depress a button and the coach automatically becomes level.

The manual system I bought was $2,600 and the automatic system is $3,400, which does not include installation. And the factory has a $650 flat rate for installation.

But in Jan of each year, they have a sale wherein they reduce the installation by $500, which I took advantage of, so it was less than $3k. Since the factory/installation location is in the same state I live in, I had to also pay sales taxes. Depending on your state, taxes might differ.

Lippert and HWH also make aftermarket leveling systems, as I think one or two others. Atwood makes them as well (or did make them), but I am not sure if they are available to the aftermarket area.

Lippert and HWH also have factory installation available. Lippert is located in the Elkhart, In area, and HWH I think is located in Iowa. So depending on where you live, you might be able to take advantage of factory installation.

Here is a link for a thread on this forum discussing levelers:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...elers-987.html

There is quite a bit of discussion on that link with photos that you might be interested in.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:20 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
My conflict is my need to carry 5 bikes + my hope to someday tow my boat or a car.....
Sometimes we have the need to carry 3 bikes, so we can attach 2 bike racks; one on the toad (2 bike capacity), and one on the rear of the RV (3 bike capacity). Since there are two extra positions on the RV carrier, we can carry our zero-gravity recliners there.

I bought one of those aftermarket 2" hitch thingies that attach to the 4x4 bumper to facilitate the mounting of the RV bike rack:

It still allows enough room to attach the towbar for the toad. And the 2 bike rack simply uses the 1 1/4" hitch on the toad.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #9

THOR #908
I haven't really been considering that I could put some or all of the bikes on or in the toad.... if I ever do that..... or in the boat if I do that.... Good point!

Currently, I'm using an old 2-bike hitch rack I had originally bought way back a long time ago....
+ a ladder rack that is supposed to hold 2 bikes but really only holds one. I can't put DW's bike on it since the seat post is interrupted with the girls bike cross bar... and the kids bikes are too irregular to fit too..... so for now it has been my bike bike up on the ladder
DW's and son's bike on the hitch.... and the 2 girls bikes inside on the bed..... which is less than ideal.....

but I'm still wrestling with some sort of cargo carrier for firewood or other dirty stuff I may need to carry.... There's always the boat or toad I suppose if I'm towing....
Old 04-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Yea, the cargo carrier was nice for carrying firewood. My new firewood carrier is the trunk of the toad.

In Michigan, there is a problem with the Emerald Ash Borer, so there is a restriction to bringing in firewood into a state campground from anywhere other than the local area... which means you have to buy firewood after you arrive.

Many parks sell it, and many people just outside the park have firewood for sale on their front lawn.

So, carrying firewood where we often camp is typically just a short trip. I even once put a bundle of firewood in a backpack on my bike - not doing that again.

Two of my bikes are leftovers from when we had our boat. A bike at the marina is nice as when you go from harbor to harbor, you cannot obviously easily tow a car with your boat, so a bike is the primary transportation at your destination.

The bikes are full size fold ups, made by Montague. I originally thought I'd just carry them folded up inside the storage bin, but they do become a pain to constantly fold and unfold them. And in the storage bin, they are always in the way of other stuff.

So we carry them on a bike rack whenever we can. But I can get one bike in the toad's trunk, and one in the back seat if need be.

http://www.montaguebikes.com/folding-mountain-bikes/

These are a lot better than most of the folding bikes. They are tough, strong, and the one I have, is supposedly used by the military when parachuting out of airplanes.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #11

THOR #908
Yeah, that makes sense....

In my case, both of our cars are too heavy to be a toad behind our motorhome.... and would require a dolly to boot. I have considered trying it though.
But, so far we have done without and most of our trips are such that a toad really isn't a must have.

and the more I think about it, the only thing I really need it for is firewood. Usually bought at the ranger station, or occasionally at someplace in town near the park... only a bundle or two usually so I don't need a big carrier....

If I had your new welder maybe I could come up with something