Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2016, 06:38 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 2016 38rssa
State: Washington
THOR #3115
Baking in Whirlpool Convection oven

It's time for Christmas cookies! I'm wondering how other owners use their convection ovens for baking.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:50 PM   #2

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
My wife does and loves it. I, on the other hand, have a hard time boiling water.

Bill
Old 12-19-2016, 09:57 PM   #3

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
To the best of my knowledge, Sandy has never used the propane oven. All of her baking is done in the convection microwave. She doesn't even use the propane cooktop, but uses an induction cooktop instead. (Since we have the CheapHeat system and fireplace for heat, I haven't refilled a propane cylinder in the 2-1/2 years we've owned this Mobile Suites.)

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:49 PM   #4

Model: 43' MS Atlanta
State: Arizona
THOR #1683
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
To the best of my knowledge, Sandy has never used the propane oven. All of her baking is done in the convection microwave. She doesn't even use the propane cooktop, but uses an induction cooktop instead. (Since we have the CheapHeat system and fireplace for heat, I haven't refilled a propane cylinder in the 2-1/2 years we've owned this Mobile Suites.)

Rusty
We did not order our Atlanta with the oven. Debbie never used it in the Select Suites so we thought why not just get the extra storage space with the 3 drawers. We also went with the double induction cooktop.

We did not add Cheap heat until April, so while I have refilled our propane cylinders a few times before then, I have been so fortunate to not have to worry about propane running out since April!!

In our campground, our neighbor a few trailers down, was talking about how they ran out of propane at 3:00 a.m. or so last night. When they awoke this morning it was 47 degrees inside their trailer. It was 18 degrees outside. I do believe that the Cheap Heat system is perhaps the best thing we have added to our RV.

Joe
Old 12-19-2016, 11:05 PM   #5

THOR #3115
Thank you for your reply. Ask her if she inserts the top rack for baking cookies on a rectangle cookie sheet or does she use the round metal rack on top of the glass pan with the turntable off? Have her whip up some cookies for you and snap a picture. I've never used the gas oven either.
Thanks.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:56 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
As much as I love to cook, but I don't have any experience with a Convection oven. some day I will have to read the book and learn how.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:07 AM   #7

THOR #3115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang94@hot.rr.com View Post
As much as I love to cook, but I don't have any experience with a Convection oven. some day I will have to read the book and learn how.
The instructions are not very clear. I've even gone online and complaints are the same. Poor explanation on how to use.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:16 AM   #8
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Haven't used one in a while... but in general you want the air to flow all around - so inserting the rack to have the cookie sheet near center of oven is preferred.
Typical rule of thumb was to reduce oven temp by 25 degrees from what the recipe called for if using convection - that would keep baking times about the same compared to 'traditional' oven...

I'd expect much more even heat and baking from the convection oven than the RV propane ovens.

Be happy to sample any cookies you make...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:18 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Buy cookies at Subway, etc....much easier and they can't be beat.

We limit our inside cooking to the microwave or using a Crock-Pot, placed in the sink while we travel. Or we grille or use camp stove outside. Most of the time we will freeze dishes made at home - chili, spaghetti, vegetable soup, etc - and then just heat up on the road.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:37 AM   #10

Model: 36RSSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1678
My wife uses the convection just like a regular oven. She bakes cookies and cakes all the time. She has only used the RV oven one time to bake anything. otherwise it is just used for storage.
2008 36RSS3B #4570
2005 Freightliner M2-106 Sport
Eagle Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:40 AM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I agree with everyone using convection, works great! Never used the propane oven.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:16 AM   #12

Model: Dallas
State: Wisconsin
THOR #2170
Christmas Cookies

Second Christmas now making cookies in the convection oven. Like any other "new" oven watch the first couple batches, adjust if necessary. Ours works great, my wife cooks anything in the convection that she cooked at home. We haven't noticed any shorter times but everything has come out fine. We don't have a propane oven either. The one in our last trailer wasn't very good and we didn't use it often. The biggest drawback is when using the oven you don't have your micro-wave. I added one in the basement. We use it mainly for vegetables and occasional reheating........or when eating on the veranda!
Old 12-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #13

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
Regarding how to use a convection oven, it's very similar to an electric oven in the sticks and bricks. You select Convection Bake and enter a baking temperature, then press Start (ours is the selector dial - push it inward). The convection oven will go through a preheat cycle and beep when it reaches the selected tempertature. You insert the food, set a cooking time and select Start again. When it times out, it will beep and you should be ready to eat.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:42 PM   #14

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Agree with most everyone else on the convection oven. Using the convection is great - doesn't heat the coach up, cooks much more accurately than the propane and most times cooks faster. Like many others, our oven is storage bin for cookware. Refilling propane can be a nuisance and is much more expensive than the 50 amp service we are already connected at most campgrounds.

PS: we often use a small electric fry pan rather than the gas burners.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:49 PM   #15

Model: 41RSSB4
State: South Dakota
THOR #5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebaler View Post
Thank you for your reply. Ask her if she inserts the top rack for baking cookies on a rectangle cookie sheet or does she use the round metal rack on top of the glass pan with the turntable off? Have her whip up some cookies for you and snap a picture. I've never used the gas oven either.
Thanks.
Seems to me that the rack is the main question. We use the round rack only so that the food turns and cooks more evenly.
2011 F350 Dually 6.7 PSD
Fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:24 AM   #16

State: Virginia
THOR #4546
Convection Oven

Use it like your regular oven for all the things you baked or roasted using these guidelines:
1. Set temperature 25° lower than recipe calls for. Convection cooks with hot air that cooks more quickly and more evenly.
2. Bake, cook, or roast 15-30 min less time than recipe calls for. This tskes practice.
3. Use the round wire rack placed on your glass turntable for small pans or dishes (9x11, round casserole, bread pans, small muffin tins, cake pan, etc) that will fit when turning without hitting sides of oven.
4. When using larger pans or dishes (9x13, large muffin tin, etc), use the rectangular wire rack placed on levers in middle of oven. Turn dish 180° half way through cooking so it cooks evenly.
5. Always preheat.
6. Never cook above 425°
7. It will no broil.