Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2016, 04:49 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 41RSSB4
State: Wyoming
THOR #2094
Balancing your tires

On another RV community an individual mentioned getting the tires balanced on your trailer, as they are typically out of balance but since we aren't in the trailer during transport, we can't tell. I figured what harm could it do, might as well try it out. I cannot believe how bad these tires were! Wow!!! Now, I listed my results and learned a lot of handy information, like the difference between hub-centric and lug-centric balancing, and I'll probably get them rebalanced by the same shop using the proper method for trailer tires (apparently that is lug-centric. Still need to verify this information) but I still thought making a thread would be beneficial to other owners.

Cheers!

Old 08-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #2

State: Alabama
THOR #3543
I have a 41RSSB4 also. When I ordered it, I did some research and had the factory put balancing beads in the tires. I had it done to the truck also. Once and done. Never have to re balance for the life of the tire. There are different types, the ones I used are from a Canadian Co. As the tire wears the beads self adjust. 35k on the truck and tires look like new. Tires on trailer are also perfect. Never have to worry about losing a weight from rough roads etc.

FS
Old 08-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #3

THOR #3543
Re: Balancing. Check Counteract Balancing Beads | The only tire balancing product proven to improve fuel economy.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #4

THOR #2094
Do you have a tpms on your rig? I read somewhere that if you have sensors installed where the Schrader valve is on top of the sensor (like mine) then the beads could cause issues. Otherwise I really like the idea of the beads.

2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab Longbed. Cummins, Aisin, 4.10
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #5

Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #88
I have used the balance beads on our last two 5th wheels tires and they worked very well. I have a TST TPMS and never had any issue with the sensors not reading correctly.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #6

THOR #3543
You can call the company and ask them about the tpms affecting the balance. When I orignally talked with them they were very nice and willing to answer any questions. I do not have tpms on my rig

FS
Old 08-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
On another RV community an individual mentioned getting the tires balanced on your trailer, as they are typically out of balance but since we aren't in the trailer during transport, we can't tell. I figured what harm could it do, might as well try it out. I cannot believe how bad these tires were! Wow!!! Now, I listed my results and learned a lot of handy information, like the difference between hub-centric and lug-centric balancing, and I'll probably get them rebalanced by the same shop using the proper method for trailer tires (apparently that is lug-centric. Still need to verify this information) but I still thought making a thread would be beneficial to other owners.

Cheers!
Besides the need to balance we always had metal stems put in and new tires every 4 years when we had a trailer.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #8

THOR #2094
Took the tires to the same company 1200 miles and explained the situation with the tires being improperly balanced. Glad I did too. When I removed them there were weights that had already come off. The shop made it appear that they cleaned the rims where they put the weights on, but they pretty much did it on the sides and not the middle. Pretty disappointing that they knew the weight wouldn't stick, but were too lazy to do the job correctly. Anyway, the new shop offered to do balance beads and took what I had already paid for the original balance out of the price. I'll just assume that they're working since there weren't as many trim pieces knocked out of place after a short 100 mile trip. Tpms didn't seem to be affected by the beads on this short trip.

2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab Longbed. Cummins, Aisin, 4.10
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote