Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Because it was made in Taiwan?

Bill
HA, what about the US Made Boat batteries?

Old 11-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #22

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If it lasted that long: it doesn't owe anybody an explanation...

20 years...
At around 15 years I was ordering parts from DR and commented on the longevity. I asked if they still sold then, he said NO. Lasted too "LONG" I would say.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
"Planned obsolescence..."
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #24

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by f350ms38rssa View Post
I live in Michigan, is it better to take my batteries out and trickle charge them in a warmer garage, or leave them in my 38 rssa and hook up a trickle charger in my not heated pole barn?
If you are willing to run an extension cord for a charger why not just use the charger already in the RV?
Old 11-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #25

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Please explain why this battery went 20 years on my DR mower??? Never even unhooked it. fired right up every spring.

As mentioned my two RV/Marine batteries in my boat 3 years fired engine right up.

Temps into the teens in my shop.

Because it's a "LONG" battery.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:47 AM   #26
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by f350ms38rssa View Post
So you are saying, disconnect batteries, and hook the maintainer to the batteries in the cold pole barn?
I see you are in Alaska....different temps from Washington...
and we are in KS … we returned from our September trip and due to circumstances...have not been on the road since then...forgot about going out to start and run motorhome once in a while...last week...checked it as temps were to drop to teens...chassis battery dead...charged it for 45 minutes and it kicked over...this battery is OEM on our 2016 Axis...never had a problem with it....now thinking I should go ahead and purchase a new battery...I think I saw where Ed said his lasted about 5 yrs. and others who said theirs didn't last any time at all. Yesterday, we were in the teens again with wind chill at 7...this morning Axis was dead.
My trickle charger is old...think I will get another … or a maintainer which I have no experience with.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:39 AM   #27

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
All this talk of freezing cold temps makes me want to put a jacket on, I live in Southern California, I put 4, 100 watt solar panels on my 25.4 Axis and 4 group 29 Gel Cell Batteries, they are Renogy batteries and Panels, the batteries were $350.00 each from Amazon and the rep from Renogy tells me I should get 10 years out of these batteries, all lead acid batteries have average life span of 6 years and they average about $100.00 each, anyone have any long term experience with Gel Cells? Gel Cells are truly maintenance free, so far they have been good to me but I doubt I get the 10 years out of them. the solar panels have just about put my generator out of business.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:50 PM   #28

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Using your prices and expected life cycle=The new gel cell batteries cost almost twice as much per year?

Bill
Old 11-14-2019, 11:53 PM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
I see you are in Alaska....different temps from Washington...
and we are in KS … we returned from our September trip and due to circumstances...have not been on the road since then...forgot about going out to start and run motorhome once in a while...last week...checked it as temps were to drop to teens...chassis battery dead...charged it for 45 minutes and it kicked over...this battery is OEM on our 2016 Axis...never had a problem with it....now thinking I should go ahead and purchase a new battery...I think I saw where Ed said his lasted about 5 yrs. and others who said theirs didn't last any time at all. Yesterday, we were in the teens again with wind chill at 7...this morning Axis was dead.
My trickle charger is old...think I will get another … or a maintainer which I have no experience with.
I just replaced the starting battery in m6 2016 Axis this summer. Florida Heat is tough on batteries.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:01 AM   #30

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
Porkchop, I was not shopping for a bargain when I bought the gel cells, I have 4 deep cycle batteries and 2 starting batteries in my bass boat, I am always changing out at least one of them every year so I was hopping to get some trouble free use before I had to start dealing with batteries going sour, if they make the 10 claim then I will be satisfied as I will probably trade or sell the coach for a newer one before the 10 year date.