Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #11113
Best RV Insurance

We had Good Sams for a while and we also didnít have any claims. The only gripe was that they didnít allow storage. Weíre not full time so we only need it for a week or so at a time which saves us money with our current insurance. We just have to remember to call and activate before we go on the road 😬

Old 06-11-2020, 07:16 PM   #22

Brand: Airstream
State: Texas
THOR #1596
Good Sam is not an insurance company. They are a broker.

They sell National General and some other brands.

Here is their quote to me in 2018.
I also got a quote from National general.
Sams is 200 more than getting it direct from National interstate.

That being said, I got Safeco for 1800 through explorer RV agency.

Good Sam:
Here's the insurance quote you requested. Total 12-Month Premium for your policy:Monthly Payment: $409Pay in Full: $4,764or call 1-855-332-8503 and mention Quote Number 32895951 to complete your purchase, or Review Your Coverages.

With the Good Sam Vehicle Insurance Plan offered exclusively by the Good Sam Insurance Agency, you'll enjoy Guaranteed Claims Service Satisfaction, specialized RV benefits and much more. We'll be happy to customize your policy when you call 1-855-332-8503.

National Interstate:
Here's the insurance quote you requested.
Total 12-Month Premium for your policy:Monthly Payment: $393Pay in Full: $4,574or call 1-800-847-2886 and mention Quote Number 32904837 to complete your purchase, or Review Your Coverages.

With National General Insurance, you'll enjoy Guaranteed Claims Service Satisfaction, SmartValet rental car delivery and much more. We'll be happy to customize your policy when you call 1-800-847-2886

Old 06-11-2020, 07:18 PM   #23
Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel

Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the last post is a good reason why the Insurance 'landscape' is not as simple as it seems, as even we, as good minded folks, often use terms that don't coincide with the actual 'insurance' world, such as the aforementioned 'Good Sam' insurance - as there is no such thing.
Good Sam is simply advertising and acting just as any neighborhood on-the-corner downtown INSURANCE AGENCY - they are just marketing themselves as 'RV' professionals, as though they 'know' the insurance markets better than any other agent or agency, and trying to appeal to those, especially, who are already 'Good Sam' Camping World members, of course.
Good Sam does nothing more than 'sells' you a product, and insurance policy, from one of the same insurance companies that you could by from directly, online, via a phone call, or from almost ANY insurance agency in any city anywhere. Good Sam is not an insurer, not an insurance company, and does not 'service' any policy they sell you. They are simply an insurance 'agency'.

While this doesn't mean much to most folks, as they are simply looking for the easiest and best avenue to procure insurance when they need it, it starts to cloud the insurance landscape when mentioning their name. What we SHOULD be mentioning is the actual name of the INSURANCE COMPANY that the policy is with, whether it be National General, or Progressive, or Safeco, or Liberty Mutual, or Hartford, or any of the numerous national and regional and state-wide insurance companies that abound.
Yes, 'every' auto insurance company doesn't write RVs, or some only write 'certain' RVs, and some write EVERY imaginable RV, but the fact that we ask the 'who is the best RV insurance company' tends to take us down roads that are no applicable to everyone, and many times not even those who posted the question.

What folks are really asking is 'where' can they look for RV insurance, although most who even ask the question already HAVE an auto and home insurance policy and will certainly, I would suspect, ask the company that ALREADY insures them. I also suspect that many who are new to buying an RV don't understand the differences between them and a regular 'auto' that we all insure and drive everyday - the ambiguous policy that we 'must' all have - and a much greater 'commodity' policy than one for an RV.

RVs are strange creatures - they are almost all different, they are built on differing 'platforms', and are certainly in many various sizes and values. People are different, too, as some have no experience driving a huge motorhome, or even a 'small' one, and some have little experience behind the wheel in towing any type of travel trailer or fifth-wheel. It's certainly understandable that many insurers decide to forego this type of 'risk', while others are so large and general in nature that they would ostracize many of their existing customers if they did not - but it's not always something they advertise or even strive to be 'competitive' with - it's a 'secondary' policy for their customer base.

I would suggest that most folks don't 'ask' who is the 'best' RV insurance company, as there is certainly no 'right' answer, not even close. Even as I speak, my rate is an enjoyable amount, but my neighbor, right next door, in the same style and size house, at the same age, with the same record, and the same motorhome, is not so happy about theirs... with the same company.
Everyone has a view of what's 'best' for them, but insurance is not so easy to pin down. You MUST do your due diligence and check with AS MANY INSURANCE COMPANIES as you possible have the patience for, to really find out. Your neighbor may can remind you of a company you haven't thought of, or a local agent can get you a quote with a company you didn't even KNOW wrote RV insurance, and your brother in another state may say that their's is the 'best', but then you find out that his company doesn't write RVs in your state! Crazy. True.

Insurance is hard. Sometimes you 'luck' up on what you think is a good fair rate the first call. Sometimes you try and try and it seems that NO ONE is on your side, price wise, but checking with as many companies as possible is the only way.
100,000+mi since '14 - US, Alaska, Canada - Hiawassee, GA! (also, '14 Gulfstream Amerilite and '07 ForestRiver Rockwood) : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
We had progressive on our thor vegas 2016. Man they got burned. Twice they replaced the windshield when it would crack on the sides.
1st windshield was 500 deductable, 2nd was 350.

windshield replacement store said it was around 4400 each time!

I gotta say they were real easy to work with!

Since they got boned so bad by Thor's Screw up in the 2016 design windshield, we stuck with them on our Hurricane!

I have nationwide as back up since we have everything else with them!
Old 06-11-2020, 09:03 PM   #25

State: Florida
THOR #15410
That's what we have, but they farm it out to national general
Old 06-12-2020, 08:17 AM   #26

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by B17drvr View Post
Good Sam is not an insurance company. They are a broker.

They sell National General and some other brands.

Here is their quote to me in 2018.
I also got a quote from National general.
Sams is 200 more than getting it direct from National interstate.

That being said, I got Safeco for 1800 through explorer RV agency.

Good Sam:
Here's the insurance quote you requested. Total 12-Month Premium for your policy:ē Monthly Payment: $409ē Pay in Full: $4,764or call 1-855-332-8503 and mention Quote Number 32895951 to complete your purchase, or Review Your Coverages.

With the Good Sam Vehicle Insurance Plan offered exclusively by the Good Sam Insurance Agency, you'll enjoy Guaranteed Claims Service Satisfaction, specialized RV benefits and much more. We'll be happy to customize your policy when you call 1-855-332-8503.

National Interstate:
Here's the insurance quote you requested.
Total 12-Month Premium for your policy:ē Monthly Payment: $393ē Pay in Full: $4,574or call 1-800-847-2886 and mention Quote Number 32904837 to complete your purchase, or Review Your Coverages.

With National General Insurance, you'll enjoy Guaranteed Claims Service Satisfaction, SmartValet rental car delivery and much more. We'll be happy to customize your policy when you call 1-800-847-2886
Holly Molly that is some expensive insurance. I pay like $1200 a year through Progressive with full timers insurance.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:18 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbjcgj View Post
Our agent found us SafeCo. I think the coverage is really good.
I'm an agent for Safeco... (My RV is insured with them)
In New York: their coverage is "okay"... but not as good as some of the Companies that specialize in RV insurance.
Example: Agreed value only applies for the first year...
After that: you're getting ACV...

By the way: Welcome to the Forum!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #28

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
When I was shopping I got 4 quotes. The best price/coverage was through having a FMCA membership, which I joined.

All 4 quotes from various companies were all underwritten by Progressive.
Slight variations in coverage pricing varied almost $200 a year

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #29

State: Indiana
THOR #18917
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
We have Geico (home, auto, motorcycle and RV). The RV policy is 730.00 a year with 500.00 deductibles, we been with Geico since 1985 had a few claims over the years and always A+ service.
I have checked once with Progressive and USAA and they wanted more for the same coverage.
Is that $730 a year just for the RV or for home, auto and RV combined?
Old 06-13-2020, 12:00 AM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by David & Diane View Post
I am going to change my RV insurance when the policy renews. I am dissatified with my present policy.

I am considering Good Sam RV Insurance. The price is about 2% less, but the big advantage is Collision & Comprehensive. Both come with Replacement Cost Endorsement. In the worst case, if my RV is totaled in a collision or is stolen & not recovered, I get a brand new RV (not used), of the current model year.

I would like to know if anyone has any experience with Good Sam RV insurance in any area: Customer Service, Claims, etc.

What is your opinion of the company?

I have my RV covered through Good Sam but itís important to note that they donít actually provide coverage. They just broker it. Only takes a 5 minute phone call and sometimes theyíll pay you a prepaid MasterCard just for calling. They set me up with excellent RV specific coverage including full replacement through Progressive for about $700 per year. But upon renewal it was going to be nearly $1100. I called Good Sam again and in 5 minutes they changed me to National General - also great coverage - for about $650. It too went up dramatically after a year so then they switched me back to Progressive for $650 again. Iím not really happy jumping around but itís just a 5 minute call and so far thereís been no downside. No claims, thankfully, so I canít comment on that. I have all of my other coverage through another company Iíve used for half a century. Call them and see what they say! Good luck.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #31

Model: Mobile Suites 36RSSB3
State: Florida
THOR #5803
Best RV Insurance

I have converted from Progressive to Good Sam. Overall, there were several reasons.

Progressive lets me login to progressive,com to download policy documents, but only supplies them in html format despite the pdf logo beside the download link. Customer Service promised to fix the issue, but never has. Not impressed with Progressive Customer Service.

The other reason is the replacement cost endorsement on the Good Sam policy. My original cost was $120K with a current actual cash value of about $90K. Prudential will only reimburse the actual cash value. Good Sam will reimburse $157K in the event of a total loss. This amount is written into the policy declarations. This is a significant increase over actual cash value.

Policy costs for the current year were within $50 of each other and an insignificant difference. The other policy coverages were virtually the same.
David & Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:46 PM   #32

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
I just had a claim on my good Sam insurance. They wouldnít pay all the repair by $300.00 and wouldnít work with the authorized Thor dealer to resolve the issue. It was just a $1,500.00 repair.
Looking for a new insurance.

Tags
insurance policy