Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2020, 06:51 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #5803
Smile Best RV Insurance

I am going to change my RV insurance when the policy renews. I am dissatified with my present policy.

I am considering Good Sam RV Insurance. The price is about 2% less, but the big advantage is Collision & Comprehensive. Both come with Replacement Cost Endorsement. In the worst case, if my RV is totaled in a collision or is stolen & not recovered, I get a brand new RV (not used), of the current model year.

I would like to know if anyone has any experience with Good Sam RV insurance in any area: Customer Service, Claims, etc.

What is your opinion of the company?

Old 06-01-2020, 07:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I have had it since 2016. No claims, good interaction with CSR when I purchased it, no increase until this year and it was minimal.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:58 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
there's no 'BEST' insurance for everyone, in every situation - that's why there are more than 3,000 auto insurance companies around the country. Take you time and consider ALL the options - online, local independent agencies, everyday captive agents, etc., it's not an 'easy' task to buy insurance, as the advertisement may allude to...

I'm an agent myself, and my OWN insurance is the same way - it takes a LOT of time and patience, even with the 'online' portals that ask WAY too many questions just to get a quote! But, like anything, patience saves money and probably gets you better 'coverage'.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:52 PM   #4

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
there's no 'BEST' insurance for everyone, in every situation - that's why there are more than 3,000 auto insurance companies around the country. Take you time and consider ALL the options - online, local independent agencies, everyday captive agents, etc., it's not an 'easy' task to buy insurance, as the advertisement may allude to...

I'm an agent myself, and my OWN insurance is the same way - it takes a LOT of time and patience, even with the 'online' portals that ask WAY too many questions just to get a quote! But, like anything, patience saves money and probably gets you better 'coverage'.
Well said.
I can not answer you about Good Sams insurance.
I have Progressive insurance to cover my rig. Just make sure that you shop The same coverages and deductibles with whom ever you shop. Your zip code will dictate a lot.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:19 AM   #5

Model: Full House JX450
State: Arkansas
THOR #17747
When we went full time four years ago I found that many insurance companies would not cover us. I got quotes from the 4 or 5 insurance companies I could find that would provide full time coverage. I ended up deciding on National General thru Good Sam. So far we have only made one claim and didn’t have any issues.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #6

State: Alabama
THOR #5803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywrench View Post
When we went full time four years ago I found that many insurance companies would not cover us. I got quotes from the 4 or 5 insurance companies I could find that would provide full time coverage. I ended up deciding on National General thru Good Sam. So far we have only made one claim and didn’t have any issues.
What made you decide on Good Sam vs other companies? I currently have Progressive and I am considering changing to Good Sam. Good Sam's quote was 2% less which is relatively insignificant. But the quote I got from Good Sam included a replacement cost endorsement on collision & comprehensive where Progressive only offered Actual Cash Value. This is significant!
Old 06-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #7

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3655
I have good sam, it was a good price although every year it goes up u bit. In addition to replacement cost, it also has vanishing deductible
. no claims each year it goes down 20% i think, so in 5 years if no claims its $0
Old 06-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #8

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by David & Diane View Post
What made you decide on Good Sam vs other companies? I currently have Progressive and I am considering changing to Good Sam. Good Sam's quote was 2% less which is relatively insignificant. But the quote I got from Good Sam included a replacement cost endorsement on collision & comprehensive where Progressive only offered Actual Cash Value. This is significant!
When I did a lot of reading when I first started, most people to,d me to insure biased on an agreed value. As you know exactly what your getting. I would think a “replacement cost endorsement” really just gives you market value. Meaning if you have a 2015 and total it, they will try and replace it with another 2015. But if you had a cash value of $110k and you totaled the rig, you would get 110k. That’s a lot more then a replacement cost is going to give you on a 2015. Check out that fine print really closely.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:22 PM   #9

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I have always used Auto Club for the cars and for the RV. Fortunately never had to put a claim in for the RV, for the cars, they have been very responsive.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:49 PM   #10

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywrench View Post
My agent told us that it's a rv, chances are whether you're full-time or not, most people submitting a claim on one won't be from sitting in the driveway, but who knows where, basically he said "don't ask don't tell". In 10+ years of full-time we submitted 1 claim on the truck (very small) & 1 on the RV (VERY big), each happened 1/2 way across the country apart, neither time did anyone from the insurance company ask if we were fulltiming in it at the time, both were settled without any problems.
As to which is best, only you can determine that!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #11

THOR #17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
My agent told us that it's a rv, chances are whether you're full-time or not, most people submitting a claim on one won't be from sitting in the driveway, but who knows where, basically he said "don't ask don't tell". In 10+ years of full-time we submitted 1 claim on the truck (very small) & 1 on the RV (VERY big), each happened 1/2 way across the country apart, neither time did anyone from the insurance company ask if we were fulltiming in it at the time, both were settled without any problems.
As to which is best, only you can determine that!

The reason I tell them that I’m a full timer is so they have no reason to deny my clam. Insurance agents are there to sell you their insurance. If you end up with a total loss on a 100k coach and the adjuster finds out you were not truthful on the application, they may have legal grounds to deny your claim. I don’t want to give them any excuse.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:19 PM   #12

THOR #17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by David & Diane View Post

We went with Good Sam for their full replacement cost coverage. If your RV is damaged beyond all repair, they will pay for you to buy a brand new (similar) RV as long as your damaged RV wasn’t very old. They also had personal effects coverage along with some other features I liked. Like others have said, it just depends on what you want and make sure you know what you are buying.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Find the Company (and Agent!); who will give you the best service: particularly AFTER the claim happens!
Cheaper is no good; if the service is also no good...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #14

State: Maryland
THOR #16979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Find the Company (and Agent!); who will give you the best service: particularly AFTER the claim happens!
This. We have experienced this first hand. We always look at service if something happens before we consider cost.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #15

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: New York
THOR #15048
SafeCo

Our agent found us SafeCo. I think the coverage is really good.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #16
z28

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Florida
THOR #9536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I agree completely with Bob, we insure all of our vehicles and home with Allstate. When our MH is not in use we put it in storage mode, this saves us a huge amount of money. All it takes is a simple phone call to the agent and we are all set to use it. My agent respects me as a customer and I appreciate the service he provides. Having a good relationship with your insurance provider is paramount.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #17

Model: Elite Suite 40KSSB4
State: Michigan
THOR #7004
Rv Insurance

I'm currently with Progressive. I'm currently dealing with Tiffany from Good Sam.
Her most recent quote has save me over $300.00 on truck and RV insurance. I'm getting more insurance for less money. Deductibles have decreased and I'm getting full replacement value on my RV.

I hope to cancel my policy today with Progressive and move to Good Sam
Old 06-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #18

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_nicholson View Post
I'm currently with Progressive. I'm currently dealing with Tiffany from Good Sam.
Her most recent quote has save me over $300.00 on truck and RV insurance. I'm getting more insurance for less money. Deductibles have decreased and I'm getting full replacement value on my RV.

I hope to cancel my policy today with Progressive and move to Good Sam
I would see no reason why you would not be able to cancel it.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:43 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
It is hard to say which company or agent is best suited for everyone's needs since everyone has a unique situation. Go with what you feel is right for your needs. I currently have all of my cars, home and rv insured through AAA. They have been good to us on the few claims we have had with our cars over the years. They provide excellent customer service to us. We have been happy with them. I also carry their auto and rv towing.

Paul
Old 06-11-2020, 02:19 AM   #20

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
We have Geico (home, auto, motorcycle and RV). The RV policy is 730.00 a year with 500.00 deductibles, we been with Geico since 1985 had a few claims over the years and always A+ service.
I have checked once with Progressive and USAA and they wanted more for the same coverage.

Tags
insurance policy