Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2017, 02:17 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #6309
Best Way to Wash a DRV

Recently received our DRV and have now taken a few trips with it. Ran through some rain showers on this last trip and need to get the road film off of it. I'm looking for tips and tricks and suggestions from other DRV owners on how to best wash my new 5th wheel - which is considerable taller and overall just bigger than the travel trailers I've pulled before. Also, my previous travel trailer was a basic plain white fiberglass with a few decal graphics and was much more forgiving as far as showing water spots. Appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:32 AM   #2

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
If I have access to an area where I can use a hose and bucket I use a wax/wash product in a bucket and a soft bristle broom/brush, soak the trailer down one section at a time, brush, rinse and move on. The broom needs to have a long enough handle to get up close to the roof.

Some will say go to Blue Beacon, to each his own.

I haven't yet "sprung" for a portable RV wash service to come to the CG to clean our trailer but I'm sure there are those that go that route as well. Whatever trips your trigger.

Dan
Old 03-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
X2. I personally don't care for Blue Beacon, the couple of times I've been there they didn't use any brushes to get the road film off, just power washed. And it wasn't cheap!!!
Old 03-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I use a window wash mitt. I bought a mitt and squeegee to do the high windows at my house and found the mitt works great on the RV without scratching the surface. I use Mequiar's Gold Class Car Wash. I recently purchased my first motorhome with full body paint and had a hard time finding the right combination to clean the RV. Brushes left fine lines in the paint and other soaps left a film or didn't clean the surface. Anyway this works great for me...just do a section at a time and rinse with a garden hose. It even works in direct sunlight...just wet before you wash, do section at a time and rinse before it dries.

The wash mitt is on an extendable pole that reaches the top of the motorhome.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:18 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
I wash it just like I wash my boat. Orpine boat wash and wax. a bucket of soap and water and a soft brush with a long handle.

Little suggestion. Follow the directions for how much soap to how much water. If you use to much soap it doesn't clean as well and doesn't rinse off properly. For a long time I used way to much and when I changed my ways got much better results.

Also for the bugs the stuff you buy at the store is garbage. You need a better remover. I use https://www.amazon.com/Bug-Remover-1.../dp/B0007RVL72 it works very well. I wish they sold it in smaller quantity's but I guess buy it once and never have to buy again.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:54 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Read on one of these forums to mix equal parts McQuires Gold & Turtle Wax WashnWax to get a better wash & better shine so I tried it & guess what, they were right. I also have a water softener which helps tremendously with the rinsing.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I've used Camco Wash N Wax for years with a soft wash broom. Change bucket water after about half the wash or less if it's dirty and you'll get less streaks and a better shine. Works like a charm... Brush on... hose off.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #8

Model: 36 RSSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #2152
We have used a waterless product on our 2012 from day one and it looks like new. Wash Wax All was invented for airplanes and it's a great product. The initial kit is pricey but well worth it, it comes with everything you need, pole, pads, microfiber towel, the solution, etc. There are a lot of Drv owners that use it. We have no connection to the product, just really like it.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
We have used a waterless product on our 2012 from day one and it looks like new. Wash Wax All was invented for airplanes and it's a great product. The initial kit is pricey but well worth it, it comes with everything you need, pole, pads, microfiber towel, the solution, etc. There are a lot of Drv owners that use it. We have no connection to the product, just really like it.
I looked up the product online. Looks like something I may have to try.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:09 PM   #10

Model: 36 RSSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #2152
Great idea Miramar owner, Wash Wax All is so much easier to use than washing and hand waxing these big things. We would never take our 5'r through Blue Beacon or use a power washer on it. It's easy and fast to use Wash Wax All. Once you have a good coat on the finish it's easy to get the bugs off the front also, just spray with water, wait a few minutes then use the extension pole and a microfiber pad to wash off.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #11

Model: 38RSSA MS
State: Washington
THOR #5214
I have used Wash Wax All for a year on bugs and minor finish cleaning, but how would you use it for a total wash? We just traveled through Montana and the coach was filthy! Even after a good rinse with a hose I'm not sure how to use it for a total wash.
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #12

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Read on one of these forums to mix equal parts McQuires Gold & Turtle Wax WashnWax to get a better wash & better shine so I tried it & guess what, they were right. I also have a water softener which helps tremendously with the rinsing.
X2 on using that exact combination! I probably read it at the same time as Travelin Texans and have now used that mix on my SUV and Harley. The results were unreal. I will be using it on MH in the next couple weeks before hitting the road.

I have a heavy duty expandable handled wash brush I bought from a big truck shop years ago.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote