Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Question Bike racks

Looking at buying a bike rack that attaches with the trailer hitch that fonts in the 2 in receiver. Just planning on having 2 adult bikes on it. Any recommendations? Thanks.

This one looks good right off the bat, https://www.amazon.com/TG-RK3B101S-3...ords=bike+rack

Old 01-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
We went with a Reese SportWing carrier a few years ago. It takes two bikes, is adjustable, and easy to use. Walmart used to sell them for about $70.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We have a rack that holds the bikes by setting the tires into loops and I like it because it seems more stable but it is higher priced. Don't have pic.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #4

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
I wouldn't "cheap out" on a rack. Our daughter and son-in-law had one of the receiver-mounted racks on the back of their Mobile Suites, and it flexed and moved around enough that the bikes scratched the back of their MS. It wound up in the trash at a Rest Area somewhere along I-70, as I recall.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #5

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
I used to have the Swagman XTC2 attached to a mount I made to attach to my kingpin. It worked very well. As you know I am picky. I used small Masterlocks keyed alike to secure the bikes. Very solid attachment.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
I agree with Rusty, the last thing you want is to see your bikes going down the road in your rearview mirror. Cummins is like we have very sturdy.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #7

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I wouldn't "cheap out" on a rack. Our daughter and son-in-law had one of the receiver-mounted racks on the back of their Mobile Suites, and it flexed and moved around enough that the bikes scratched the back of their MS. It wound up in the trash at a Rest Area somewhere along I-70, as I recall.

Rusty
I agree with you that I do not want to buy a cheap rack, as I want it to last. I have seen racks for as low as $39. But I am also not trying to buy a $200 plus rack either. The one that I linked seemed middle ground with good reviews.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #8

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I used to have the Swagman XTC2 attached to a mount I made to attach to my kingpin. It worked very well. As you know I am picky. I used small Masterlocks keyed alike to secure the bikes. Very solid attachment.

I read about ones that can attach to your kingpin. But would there be clearence on tight turns?
Old 01-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #9

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I agree with you that I do not want to buy a cheap rack, as I want it to last. I have seen racks for as low as $39. But I am also not trying to buy a $200 plus rack either. The one that I linked seemed middle ground with good reviews.
Thule and Yakima always seem to rise to the top.

What is the Best Hitch Bike Rack - Compare Hitch Mount Bike Racks from Yakima, Thule, Softride, & More

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #10

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I have the Allen, 4 bike. My recommendation is to buy one that holds one bike more than you think you need. It takes patience to squeeze my 4 bikes on there since most (even mens/boys) do not have a "classic" crossbar orientation anymore.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
I have the Allen, 4 bike. My recommendation is to buy one that holds one bike more than you think you need. It takes patience to squeeze my 4 bikes on there since most (even mens/boys) do not have a "classic" crossbar orientation anymore.
I agree with this idea of extra room, especially for hang style racks.
I have the Allen deluxe 5-bike (use it for 5)
and I installed it with a no rattle pin to reduce movement
I like it well enough

but I understand that the wheel support styles are generally considered to be more stable and perhaps better
and I suspect that the need for extra capacity isn't there....probably easy enough to get 2 bikes on a 2 bike rack

One thing is for sure, you'll have more choices in a 2-bike rack then I did looking for 5!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #12

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
"I read about ones that can attach to your kingpin. But would there be clearence on tight turns?"

The newer DRV's have the front cap extending past the kingpin so my "hitch" I fabricated would NOT work on current 16 DRV.

I could make a new hitch but then my toolbox would not open with bikes attached. This custom hitch and Swagman carrier worked well with the 07.5 MS.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
I have owned a couple of Thule's. Presently using a Thule Apex. It tilts forward at the hitch, and the bike mounting arms fold down when there are no bikes on the rack. Very sturdy. They are pricy, but I trust the rack to protect my bikes.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:47 PM   #14

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post

Rusty
I agree with Rusty completely!!! Make an investment for the long run that will last, be secure, and not damage your MH. Racks like shown with loops for bike wheels are much more stable. If the receiver insert is loose get a receiver hitch stabilizer with bolts to secure it, you don't want it rattling around!
Old 01-12-2017, 02:08 AM   #15
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I went the Yakima route... DoubleDown 4
https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-Double.../dp/B0012SBVSY

Meant for 4... Comfortably holds 3 (as I expected...)
Tilts away from vehicle when empty - doesn't matter much on back of RV - but it often rides on back of toad...
Arms fold down when empty.
Comes with bolt/pin as the hitch pin that firmly secures the rack in the receiver (pulls it against the side and tightens in place.)
And like every Yakima rack (roof, kayak, bike) - has a built in bottle opener...
I use the Yakima lock on hitch bolt/pin (keyed common with the kayak racks I have)

Going on at 5+ years now - no issues.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:02 AM   #16

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post

We bought the Swagman too.... Drove the Axis with the two bicycles to Yellowstone, Montana and back to SoCal with zero issues. We have the electric assist bicycles that have wider handle bars so I loosen the handle bar stem and swing them sideways (then tighten again) so that they don't hit the back of the coach. I also like the Swagman because you can tighten the hitch pin in the receiver with a 3/4" wrench so that it doesn't flop around inside the hitch receiver.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:07 AM   #17

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #3016
We have a heavy-duty Thule platform rack -- the kind where the bikes sit in a "well" and are secured over the top of a tire (don't know the model#).

We have 2 Pedego electric bikes and the Thule was recommended over anything else. It sits snugly in the receiver and supports our bikes well.

The next little puzzle piece is how we're going to carry the bikes and tow our little Fiat at the same time. We have some ideas, but haven't tried them out yet.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #18
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post
We have a heavy-duty Thule platform rack -- the kind where the bikes sit in a "well" and are secured over the top of a tire (don't know the model#).

We have 2 Pedego electric bikes and the Thule was recommended over anything else. It sits snugly in the receiver and supports our bikes well.

The next little puzzle piece is how we're going to carry the bikes and tow our little Fiat at the same time. We have some ideas, but haven't tried them out yet.
Don't know if it will work with your specific rack... depends how much it extends from back of RV - but this allows you to attach a bike rack on top - and still tow from the bottom..
https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Recei.../dp/B000P6CJ9O
Since both flat tow and dolly have minimal tongue weight - shouldn't be an issue there.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:48 PM   #19

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
We have a rack that holds the bikes by setting the tires into loops and I like it because it seems more stable but it is higher priced. Don't have pic.
What name and model are you using? How is the clearence from the rear cap and ladder?
Old 01-13-2017, 01:41 AM   #20

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Don't know if it will work with your specific rack... depends how much it extends from back of RV - but this allows you to attach a bike rack on top - and still tow from the bottom..
https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Recei.../dp/B000P6CJ9O
Since both flat tow and dolly have minimal tongue weight - shouldn't be an issue there.
Thanks, Greg. We were all set to go out and buy one of those "tandem" receivers, and then we were told that it's not as simple as adding one of them, due to the turning clearance issue between the bike rack and the Fiat. Fortunately we've got a good repair shop that sells the hitch and I think they'd let us haul everything over there and try it out. Don't know any other way to do it. If it works, it'll be really sweet.