Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 39RESB3
State: Florida
THOR #5499
Black/Grey dump valves!

Crawled under the RV yesterday and proceeded to remove the black plastic cover for access to the cable dump valves. What a mess of wires, hoses, etc. You can't really feel how they ran the grey cable, only guess, but looks like it is not run the best it could be. I ordered a manual valve and will replace the cable one. Ordered the handle extension as well, so it will protrude from under the cover and angle toward the side of the rig to make it an easy push/pull application. Will take some photos when I start on this next week and a follow up on success or failure!
Has anyone else had a try at the cable valves? To me, it is a poor setup and one that could have been designed much cleaner and easier to repair/replace when needed.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #3109
Aaaahhhh, fourteen years of "Amish Craftsmen" and you would think they could/would redesign the valves--been around ever since the first Suites in '03.
Wait til you have to get to the black tank valve...
Hope it goes ok for you and works better--never had a problem with the grey, only the black.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #3

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Aaaahhhh, fourteen years of "Amish Craftsmen" and you would think they could/would redesign the valves--been around ever since the first Suites in '03.
Wait til you have to get to the black tank valve...
Hope it goes ok for you and works better--never had a problem with the grey, only the black.
Thanks! The black is working as it should, but yes, it is really hidden up in that mess. Glad it is only the grey causing the issue! It still dumps, but you need two hands to pull the cable, which we all know, is a disaster waiting to happen!
Old 05-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #4

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Black valve was not too bad. Two years now with the plain ol T handle valve and it works like new!
Old 05-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #5

THOR #5499
Well, got back under rig just a few minutes ago and took valve apart and it is working like it should. When I reinstalled, it was still hard to open and close, but not so much. So, will try this for now, as when you see the photos, the black iron pipe for the LP line is right in the way of what I wanted to do with the manual one. I could reroute the line, time will tell.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #6

THOR #5499
Photos!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gate valve.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	10344   Click image for larger version

Name:	gate valve2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	10345  

Click image for larger version

Name:	gate valve3.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	10346  
Old 05-21-2018, 12:48 AM   #7

Model: MSA 40
State: North Dakota
THOR #10945
How does one know where to start digging to find the bad valve? Is the problem usually the cable or the valve? Why is the problem more common on DRV than other brands? Thanks.

Dave
Old 05-21-2018, 12:56 AM   #8

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultratravler View Post
How does one know where to start digging to find the bad valve? Is the problem usually the cable or the valve? Why is the problem more common on DRV than other brands? Thanks.

Dave
In most cases Dave, the cable is the problem. When I removed the 4 bolts and took the valve loose, the cable worked fine. When I reinstalled it, it puts the cable in a bind. They way they have it routed, not sure I can make it work any easier.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:00 AM   #9

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicesqueezer View Post
Crawled under the RV yesterday and proceeded to remove the black plastic cover for access to the cable dump valves. What a mess of wires, hoses, etc. You can't really feel how they ran the grey cable, only guess, but looks like it is not run the best it could be. I ordered a manual valve and will replace the cable one. Ordered the handle extension as well, so it will protrude from under the cover and angle toward the side of the rig to make it an easy push/pull application. Will take some photos when I start on this next week and a follow up on success or failure!
Has anyone else had a try at the cable valves? To me, it is a poor setup and one that could have been designed much cleaner and easier to repair/replace when needed.
You will want your gray cabled. Having that big hole in your pan opens up ALOT more problems. A big entry point for all sorts of critters, water could get in while traveling and the loss of some R value because of the hole.
The cable that was on mine was a braided one, and it SUCKED! I replaced the cable in mine with a solid core cable and it has been doing great since. I did replace my black valve with a manual Extera valve. That has also been working GREAT.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:15 PM   #10

State: Alabama
THOR #8719
I need help on final hook up on solar panel to house batteries
There is a controller with solar panel connection, battery connection, and load
I just want to keep batteries topped off but worried about other inputs like Generator, or post power affecting little controller, no instructions
Happy :
Old 05-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #11

Model: 41RSSB4
THOR #5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by medgilmore View Post
I just want to keep batteries topped off but worried about other inputs like Generator, or post power affecting little controller, no instructions
Happy :
Not sure what this is about but I think its in the wrong place.
2011 F350 Dually 6.7 PSD
Fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:38 AM   #12

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Happy :
You may want to start a new thread on this. Plus you may want to say what rig that you have. Year make and model. You can not have to many details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50 View Post
Not sure what this is about but I think its in the wrong place.
I agree....
Old 05-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #13

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
You will want your gray cabled. Having that big hole in your pan opens up ALOT more problems. A big entry point for all sorts of critters, water could get in while traveling and the loss of some R value because of the hole.
The cable that was on mine was a braided one, and it SUCKED! I replaced the cable in mine with a solid core cable and it has been doing great since. I did replace my black valve with a manual Extera valve. That has also been working GREAT.
If I install the manual grey valve, I will only have a small hole that the rod itself will pass through, so should not have a problem there. Valve came in late yesterday, so will see what it looks like in the next few days.
I agree I would not want a large hole in the plastic cover.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:05 AM   #14

THOR #5499
Quote:
Happy :
There are lots of topics on this on YouTube and some great full time RV installers as well. Brian Boone of Got Solar is one name that will call you back. I am getting ready to do the same thing, except on a larger scale of panels. Like someone else said, start a new thread and I am sure others, including myself, will jump in on the conversation. Good luck!