Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2015, 01:42 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
Broken bearing dust covers/bearing caps

Thought I'd let everyone know about a potential safety issue with current DRV's and the bearing caps. It would appear that the two on the drivers side of our trailer were over torqued from the factory and we found out when one partial cap departed for never never land and took out the center of the hubcap with it.

Once I got the pieces of that one out I decided to pull the rest of the hubcaps and the bearing caps to check them. That's when I found the other cap on that same side was broken as well. I called DRV and sent them an email with pictures but I also ordered 4 replacements direct from Kodiak (next day air) to have as spares incase DRV didn't get back to me in time (We are leaving Wednesday morning for Savannah). About 30 minutes after I had ordered some extras, Greg called from DRV, apologised and said he would be sending me the replacements for the caps and the center section for the hubcap.

I'm not sure but I think he is also sending me a IR line to go from the sensor unit to my satellite dish receiver as well and that would be great... All in all, a great response to a problem from DRV and Greg.

Here is the result of the Break. The pieces from the one I dug out of the hub are on the ground and the broken but not completely separated cap is in my hand.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #2

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Thanks for the heads up. What year and production date (roughly) is your 5ver? Something else to add to the PMI list.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:18 PM   #3

THOR #1667
it is a 2015 that was picked up on January 1st of this year....
Old 05-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #4

THOR #1658
So I need to check as mine is just being completed. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:21 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: DRV 43 Dalas Elite Suite
State: Indiana
THOR #1687
The best thing is not to use the hub caps, the only they are Good for is Looks. With out the hub caps you can check the temperature of the hubs to see if you are having or not with Bearings or Brakes or if you have oil filled hubs you can make sure the oil level is OK. Hub Cabs HIDES all this information you should check every time you stop.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:27 PM   #6

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
The best thing is not to use the hub caps, the only they are Good for is Looks. With out the hub caps you can check the temperature of the hubs to see if you are having or not with Bearings or Brakes or if you have oil filled hubs you can make sure the oil level is OK. Hub Cabs HIDES all this information you should check every time you stop.
I think DRV does not use oil bath never lube bearings anymore. They are all packed with grease now.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #7

THOR #1667
Lights,

You can knock out the center section of the hubcaps (look at the picture above) and still leave the bulk of the hubcap there. That will allow you to read the hub temps if desired. I just shoot the wheel near the hub and the caliper to get a quick reading to see if anything is out of place. I also watch the temps and pressure in the tires.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:21 PM   #8

THOR #1658
Shocked that they used a plastic dustcover.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #9

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
But the looks are important too. If the looks were not important, I would have gone with a Lifestyle. But the DRV outside finish is light years better.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:07 AM   #10

THOR #1667
I guess I should have looked closer... Another one was split on the inside but not completely separated... Good thing I ordered 4 spared from Kodiak, I have already used 3 and the ones from DRV were a no show.....

rynosback, they are heavy plastic and the standard ones from Kodiak are clear to see the oil level in the hubs. These are white to let you know you have a greased hub. They torque to 20-30 ft/lbs so they are not too delicate but will NOT take 70 or 80 ft/lbs....

It will take a 2 3/16 socket and I had to use a 3/4 drive socket with 2 step downs to get to 3/8 where I could use a little 3/8 torque wrench and yes, I torqued those puppies to 25 ft/lbs to prevent another popped off flange. Engineers have specs for a reason.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:15 AM   #11

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
I guess I should have looked closer... Another one was split on the inside but not completely separated... Good thing I ordered 4 spared from Kodiak, I have already used 3 and the ones from DRV were a no show.....

rynosback, they are heavy plastic and the standard ones from Kodiak are clear to see the oil level in the hubs. These are white to let you know you have a greased hub. They torque to 20-30 ft/lbs so they are not too delicate but will NOT take 70 or 80 ft/lbs....

It will take a 2 3/16 socket and I had to use a 3/4 drive socket with 2 step downs to get to 3/8 where I could use a little 3/8 torque wrench and yes, I torqued those puppies to 25 ft/lbs to prevent another popped off flange. Engineers have specs for a reason.
I agree completely. That is why I have a 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch torque wrenches. WOW 2 3/16 socket... That is one large socket. Where did you get the torque specs from? Is it a nylon locking piece?
Old 05-20-2015, 05:11 AM   #12

THOR #1667
It locks in with a fat rubber "O" ring that gets compressed. The torque spec is on the cap itself.

That is not the biggest socket I have but some of us got into a "big and little tools" picture swap so here are a few of mine:

Old 05-21-2015, 12:15 AM   #13

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I think DRV does not use oil bath never lube bearings anymore. They are all packed with grease now.
You can still order oil bath.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:19 AM   #14

THOR #1661
This makes me curious!

When I had my new 16 39TKSB3 delivered a few weeks ago I asked the driver about the light grease film on the wheels and he said it was some residue from the factory. I am going to bet at least one of mine are broken!!!

Thank you for the post!
Old 07-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #15

State: Florida
THOR #2360
We took delivery early June on a 2016 RLSS3B... I bought it 600 miles away from my home... Of course I didn't know about nor did the dealer say anything about problems with dust covers... When I got home I noticed the center of one of my covers was missing and so was the dust cover... I contacted DRV and they sent me a new cover... Just befor installing I decided to pop the other caps off to check them... Well, 3 of them were broken and one cap good... I contacted DRV because I was worried about the bearings... He told me that DRV knew there was a problem and they would pay for repairs.. He said there is an investigation going on... I believe if they knew they were having problems, then the buyers should have been made aware of it... To date I haven't gotten the replacement caps... My question is, can any of you give me ordering information on who to contact...? I need to expedite because my unit is going into the shop Tuesday and I will need caps...

We bought the DRV because we didn't think we would have these kind of problems... We are supposed to leave soon and are planning to full time it... This has got me worried because I may have more of these problems and feel I should stock up on these caps...

Thanks for any ordering information

Joe & Diana
Old 07-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #16

THOR #1661
I did check mine and all is well from what I can see.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:16 PM   #17

THOR #1667
Go to Kodiak Store and look at their dust caps. If you give them a call, they will tell you which ones you have if you let them know you have a new DRV with the white caps.....

I paid them extra for overnight shipping as I was leaving in two days and wanted to make sure they made it. Very nice people to deal with.

As long as you torque them correctly, you shouldn't have any further problems. Just use a 1/4 or 3/8 torque wrench that can go that low on a torque spec and you should be good to go.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #18

State: Florida
THOR #2360
Thanks GH... Appreciate the help... Cummins, I'm glad your ok...

Joe & Diana
Old 07-03-2015, 03:58 AM   #19

THOR #1658
I will have to check but Greg told me I think 16 or 18 ft pounds. As there initial specs might be to much. I was thinking of starting a torque spec thread as a resource for everyone.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #20

Model: 38PS3
State: Idaho
THOR #2022
Our 2016 coach was completed in March. It arrived at the dealer missing one dust cover. We found the second cover loose in the hubcap recently. I quickly got on the phone to DRV and they sent me 4 replacements. They told me that Kodiak sent them batch of brittle dust covers. Hopefully, all the brittle ones are gone and the replacements that we received are good.

We are insisting that the wheel bearings on the wheels that lost the dust covers be repacked by hand under warranty. No argument from DRV.