Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2016, 02:50 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSSA
State: Florida
THOR #2055
Landing gear

Last Oct. just after the one year mark I had an issue. The front landing gear dropped during transport. It happened twice on same trip and I caught it before any real trouble. Called Lippert to get advice. One of the things they recommended I did. I filled the reservoir as per owners manual and the problem went away. It was a little low. Today the front dropped again while in tow. The drivers side was only about 3 inches from the road and the other one had dropped about a foot. I retracted them however within 12 miles the left side had dropped about six inches. Reached camp site and set up. Reservoir down about half a quart. I am going to assume I have a leak somewhere that I cannot see. Anyone else have these issues/solutions. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:19 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I don't know, but I think I would be looking for a way to install a safety pin
Old 04-27-2016, 11:56 PM   #3

Model: 41RSSB4
State: Wyoming
THOR #2094
Dang! I think I'll start looking into some kind of safety chain or safety pin like was mentioned. Of course, then I'll have to remember to remove them before setting up the rig.

Keep us informed. I really hope you get it figured out.

2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab Longbed. Cummins, Aisin, 4.10
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:25 AM   #4

State: California
THOR #3525
Just had that same problem on our last trip,I posted on the Suites site,waiting on some replies,but will keep looking here also
Old 07-14-2016, 05:37 AM   #5

Model: 41RSSB4
State: Wyoming
THOR #2094
I might start looking into some cables now. This seems like it's more common than I'm comfortable with.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:01 AM   #6

Model: Dallas
State: Texas
THOR #3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTonDodgeman View Post
Just had that same problem on our last trip,I posted on the Suites site,waiting on some replies,but will keep looking here also
We had this situation happen to us last month while we were at the DRV Factory in Howe for other repairs. I am very happy it happened while there because it would have been very difficult to transport for a long distance while trying to keep the landing gear tied up using straps and hoping nothing broke allowing the gear to go down. We had to transport from Howe to Lippert in Goshen for replacement of the front jacks. We had no warning there was any problem developing as we have had the RV for 18 months and have had no issues with landing gear or hydraulic slides and the oil level was still at the same mark as when we took delivery. There were no leaks on anything to the outside that we could see. It was all internal and going back into the reservoir. Lippert replaced the front gear with no questions. They had to add extra frame work for the gear to attach to and if I remember correctly, replaced the orriginal gear rated for 9,000 lbs with larger diameter gear rated for 14,000 lbs. The gear operates slower than before but hopefully will not fail again. Lippert said they have no issues with the larger gear. The upgrade to the new gear took almost 2 days to complete and requires removal of everything in the basement including propane tanks, batteries, hydraulic pump and all compartment walls around this equipment. It was a difficult job and we are happy with the final results.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:26 AM   #7

Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
I did the following to make a permanent "backup" to make sure the jacks didn't hit the ground.

Retract the jack fully and drill a 1/8" pilot hole in the outer sleeve (attached to the frame) and in the sleeve around the jack op rod.

Lower the jack and drill a 3/8" hole in the sleeve on the jack op rod.

Retract the jack again and drill the outer sleeve with a letter "F" or 17/64" bit. The bit will not hit the sleeve behind as it has a larger, 3/8" hole.

Tap with a 5/16-18 tap.

Get a couple of 5/16 UNC bolts and nuts about 2" long and thread the nuts on the bolts almost to the head and then thread them thru both sleeves.

Tighten the nut against the sleeve wrench tight and it will not come out and the jack will NOT fall.

We had this issue about 700 miles from home and was so bad we couldn't go more than 3 or 4 miles before stopping to retract the jacks. Took less than an hour to do and I will never have to worry about that issue again.

I WILL have to worry about forgeting the bolts are there though. Old age has crept up and I am like the sign my wife wants me to hang in the trailer:

"I am at that stage in life when my train of thought often leaves the station without me"
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote