Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #21

State: Arkansas
THOR #7418
Consider AGM vs. Gel

I had real issues with the stock flooded batteries and ended up replacing them after two years. Most of the issue was with them boiling over in the high heat in deep south Texas. Friends and neighbors in the same park did not seem to have the same problem but they had a higher quality battery

MY REAL POINT here though is to look at AGM's as well as gel. When I first started considering changing I thought gel but after study the AGM's were better suited for my rig and the climate I live in - both can be maintenance free.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:25 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My 2 six volt OE batteries lasted 4 years. I replaced them with cheap flooded batteries from Batteries Plus for $180 for the pair. I plan to replace them every 3 or 4 years. Easy and way cheaper than AGM.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:50 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
Check these out VMAXTANKS
3.9 out of 5 stars 20 Reviews
Qty 4 VMAX V6-225: 6.2kWh 24V AGM Solar Battery Bank for Home, RV, or Industrial (4) 6V 225Ah AGM Deep Cycle Batteries 6 Volt Maintenance Free
On Amazon
8-10 year lifespan
Old 08-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #24

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Battery storage, use habits, charger and temperature all factor into battery life, especially flooded batteries

The one year or 18 month warranties on most reflect that
Old 08-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #25

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
lwmcguire,

Right on.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #26

Model: 45AT
THOR #5165
As Judge mentioned earlier, Equalization is a critical maintenance item to extend the life of flooded batteries. I use a hydrometer and test each cell (during Float Charge Cycle). When they fall below 1275 specific gravity or if individual cell(s) are outside that range +/- 20 I initiate Equalization.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:56 PM   #27

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
My OEM batteries lasted 4 1/2 years with good care and moderate use. Your experience sounds normal to me.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:28 AM   #28

Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #14346
Or if you want to stop buying batteries, tending to distilled water, having to modify your charging system for AGMs, you can buy your last set of batteries. Lifepo4s. Lithium.

And be done with tending!.. For example, Battleborn ( I have no stake in them, just a happy customer), 100 AMP Lifepo4s are the same dimensions, only 27 pounds (yes that is correct), come with a Battery Managment System on the battery that makes them plug and play with your current charging system ie. Gen, Engine, solar, and are MADE IN AMERICA.. mostly. And with some tweaking, and a battery monitor, such as the Victron 702, you can get run them down to 20% state of charge, (say 12 volts equivalent which would quickly be a dagger in both lead and AGMs} which is incredible. Yep, they cost around 800 plus RV bucks but they will last longer than your RV will.

IMHO of course. I have them on my coach and my boat. Will never go back.

Cheers.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:48 AM   #29

Model: Outlaw 29H
State: British Columbia
THOR #13889
I bought two deep cycle Trojan 12V lead acid batteries for my 21ft boat. I ended up having medical issues and the boat sat in the backyard for 10yrs. Put my 10amp charger on them for a couple days and took and held a charge. I will never buy any other brand of deep cycle battery. The proof is in the pudding.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:18 PM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #5803
Question Coach Battery Life & Replacement

I have the flooded type 6V batteries & I have been careful about keeping them topped off with water. Distilled water only.

They are nearing 2 years old, but I have gotten to thinking about replacing them with the best AGM maintenance free batteries I can find. However, finding the best batteries is not my only concern.

I have the MS2812 Inverter Charger connected to the ME-RC Standard Remote Control. I did read the manuals. The manuals were clear on one important point. If I am changing batteries, especially flooded to AGM, I must reprogram my Inverter Charger because AGMs require a very different charging profile to prevent destroying expensive new batteries.

Does anyone know where I can get the appropriate reprogramming parameters for quality AGM batteries?
Old 09-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #31

THOR #3109
Probably a call to Magnum to see what changes are needed, if any. I have the AGMs with my solar system, but AMSolar set everything up. I think there is a way to choose battery type on the remote...
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #32

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by David & Diane View Post
Does anyone know where I can get the appropriate reprogramming parameters for quality AGM batteries?

Did you look through the setup menu in the Magnum remote?

Magnum has profiles for flooded, gel, AGM-1, AGM-2.
If using lithium you have to use the ‘custom’ profile.