Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Good point. If you do not use the correct grade wire and a good connector, the long run can kill charging.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:25 AM   #22

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #11383
Don't forget of all the load that is constantly on Batteries. Thermostats, Gas detector, Electronic control panel and ???. You could pull load fuses but is worth it, No in my world.
Driving down the road part of the charge will taken from battery but as the battery voltage goes down more power will flow from your 14.0 source to your battery. I don't ever recall my 4 batteries going to 12 volts.
But this weekend trip could prove me wrong with 43 month old batteries.
Clay 2016 MS 38PS3
residential frig and 2800 watt invertor/convertor
Old 06-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #23

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Doesn’t matter on the fords whether you have the standard alternator, HD single or 350 amp dual alternators. You are not going to get sufficient charging current back to the trailer batteries if you have any kind of a load in the trailer.

Too small a gauge of wire and as Clev mentioned, the computers control charging based on truck needs.

If you want to get 40 amps back to the trailer look into this pricey item.

Pricey, but cheaper then 9 solar panels and a big controller

https://www.etrailer.com/Battery-Cha...BCDC1240D.html

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #24

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Maybe dumb question, on the Fords can't you simply run a dedicated charge wire from the battery to the in bed 7 pin connector to replace wire that does not do the job and have the wire protected with a rated breaker?
Old 06-20-2019, 04:34 PM   #25

THOR #9543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Maybe dumb question, on the Fords can't you simply run a dedicated charge wire from the battery to the in bed 7 pin connector to replace wire that does not do the job and have the wire protected with a rated breaker?
Yes, but the alternator output will still be based on truck batteries. When they go into float charge, so will the supply line.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #26
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
Yes, but the alternator output will still be based on truck batteries. When they go into float charge, so will the supply line.
They won't go into "float charge" as long as there is a load pulling current from them, like the load in the trailer: battery charging or inverter running a load. The problem is the long run of wire for DC current - it causes a voltage drop and the more current you have, the higher the voltage drop will be. The alternator may be putting out 14.5 VDC but if you drop 1.5 volts to the battery in the trailer, that battery will only see 13.0 VDC which means it essentially is not charging.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #27

THOR #1765
If the truck and trailer batteries are actually hooked in Parallel, the alternator should never go into float mode until both or all batteries are charged to 80% or whatever the controller is set to. The batteries in parallel are, for all intensive purposes, one battery. That is dependent- of course- on the wire to the trailer being large enough to carry the amperage.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #28

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
They won't go into "float charge" as long as there is a load pulling current from them, like the load in the trailer: battery charging or inverter running a load. The problem is the long run of wire for DC current - it causes a voltage drop and the more current you have, the higher the voltage drop will be. The alternator may be putting out 14.5 VDC but if you drop 1.5 volts to the battery in the trailer, that battery will only see 13.0 VDC which means it essentially is not charging.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #29

THOR #9543
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Well, as I posted somewhere back in this thread, ‘correct me if I’m wrong’. I’m basing my input on info from a Ford tech. Based on your post, if the trailer batteries are down and pulling a charge, the alternator will continue to bulk charge, even if the truck batteries are fully charged? Perhaps newer trucks than mine have a circuit controller, that will “isolate” the truck batteries while the trailer batteries charge. For that, I don’t know.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote