Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2023, 12:43 AM   #41

Brand: DRV
Model: Houston
State: Tennessee
THOR #25217
Thanks Terry and Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry and Jo View Post
The wife and I have been living full-time in our 2010 Mobile Suites TKSB3 now for almost 12 years. When we ordered ours, we specified that we wanted two 15K A/C units with heat pumps and what was then called the "Canadian Package." That package has two 30,000 btu furnaces instead of just one 40-some thousand BTU furnace.

After retirement, we traveled for about 4 years, but we stayed in one place or another for months. In each place, we leased a larger LPG tank so that I didn't have to shuffle 40# cylinders, and as an added bonus, the leased tanks all had gauges to tell how much LPG we had. In those 12 years, we have experienced temperatures ranging from 115 degrees and down to -16 degrees and have been comfortable inside. To clarify a bit, 115 degrees saw me sitting in a pair of shorts with no shirt on to be really comfortable. At about zero degrees, the hot water line from the water manifold to the kitchen sink tends to freeze, but because of it being PEX line, no breakage or leaks. At the -16 degrees, we did have to shut off water because the outside lines froze, so we moved into our son's house for a few days.

We have never skirted our DRV, although we are now going to be living in the RV park where we are now for a long time. We don't plan on traveling again with the RV. We do supplement with the fireplace heat and stand-alone Lasko electric heaters during the day and then rely on LP furnace heat at night. With the Canadian Package, the living room furnace leaves us comfortable at night and keeps the underbelly warm. I use a wireless thermometer system and have never seen the underbelly get much below 40 degrees.

Now, have written all of that, I guess a lot depends on how long you will be up there. For most LPG tank leases, they want a lease for 1 year, which we pay $99 for and then purchase the LPG. Living in Oklahoma, we generally only have to refill the 250 gallon tank twice a year.

So, that is most of our experience with living through the winters in Colorado, SW Oregon, southern Utah, and central Oklahoma. If you are going to rely on 40# cylinders, I also suggest a Truma Propane Level Check device.

Truma Propane LevelCheck

That's the kind of info I'm looking for. My job was put off till next year so I'm still researching as much as I can. I would not lease a tank because I probably won't be there over 2 months. I will use the Cheap Heat as much as possible and rely on the propane as needed. I'm not sure what the Cheap heat is good to before you need propane. Again thanks for the info.
I have the Truma Level Check and love it.

Old 04-03-2023, 03:28 PM   #42

Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
I'm glad I could help you a bit. I don't have the Cheap Heat system, but I suspect that it is fully electric heat. What I don't know is whether the electric is 12V or 120V. If it is 120V, of course one would have to have a situation where there were no electrical outages. And, not being experienced in being in a lot of RV parks, I don't know if a park would have restrictions on high usage of electricity.
Terry and Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 04:21 PM   #43

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry and Jo View Post
I'm glad I could help you a bit. I don't have the Cheap Heat system, but I suspect that it is fully electric heat. What I don't know is whether the electric is 12V or 120V. If it is 120V, of course one would have to have a situation where there were no electrical outages. And, not being experienced in being in a lot of RV parks, I don't know if a park would have restrictions on high usage of electricity.
It is 120 supplied not a 12 volt system. Most places you stay at for 30 days or more, your electric is metered. So use as much as you want as you’re paying for all the electric you use.
Recently I have seen some campgrounds that charge you a fee for using AC’s and electric heat.
Old 04-08-2023, 04:24 PM   #44

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caminonut69 View Post
That's the kind of info I'm looking for. My job was put off till next year so I'm still researching as much as I can. I would not lease a tank because I probably won't be there over 2 months. I will use the Cheap Heat as much as possible and rely on the propane as needed. I'm not sure what the Cheap heat is good to before you need propane. Again thanks for the info.
I have the Truma Level Check and love it.
Cheap Heat is good to what ever temperature. Coils flow red and a fan blows air across them picking up the heat. It is not like running a heat pump, which do have limitations.
Old 04-08-2023, 04:30 PM   #45

Brand: Heartland
State: Texas
THOR #120
We've had the Cheap Heat unit in our Landmark since new, about five years, and have never had a problem with the unit not maintaining the set temp. We haven't been in extreme cold, about 10* is about as cold as it has gotten where we were in Texas, but I would be confident with it peforming well.
CEO-Stella
Driver-Jay
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 01:19 AM   #46

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Cheap Heat is good to what ever temperature. Coils flow red and a fan blows air across them picking up the heat. It is not like running a heat pump, which do have limitations.

Would never own a heat pump.. Money better spent on CheapHeat.
Old 04-17-2023, 05:21 PM   #47

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
We've had the Cheap Heat unit in our Landmark since new, about five years, and have never had a problem with the unit not maintaining the set temp. We haven't been in extreme cold, about 10* is about as cold as it has gotten where we were in Texas, but I would be confident with it peforming well.

Hey Jay ……

Duane
Old 04-17-2023, 08:36 PM   #48

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Problem here is we are talking two different animals!!! Motorhomes are NOT the same as a DRV RV 5er that this topic is being posted in.
So...what's the difference? One is towed...the other is driven but the HVAC on both work the same way. What's different about a "DRV fiver" versus any other motorhome or trailer where propane furnaces are concerned?
Old 04-19-2023, 01:31 AM   #49

Brand: Heartland
State: Texas
THOR #120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthole View Post
Hey Jay ……

Duane
Hey Duane, good talking to ya. I don't get many threads that I can add to here.
CEO-Stella
Driver-Jay
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 12:54 PM   #50

Model: Houston
State: Tennessee
THOR #25217
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
So...what's the difference? One is towed...the other is driven but the HVAC on both work the same way. What's different about a "DRV fiver" versus any other motorhome or trailer where propane furnaces are concerned?
You are correct that the HVAC operates the same. It's mainly the insulation with the 3 1/4" walls and double pane windows. The DRVs are mainly designed for full timers. I have noticed that my 45' DRV uses less AC and heat than my previous 37' TT. Although the Cheap Heat is available for other RVs they make a direct fit for the DRVs.
As far as the propane versus electric is concerned give me the electric any day of the week. Electricity is cheaper in the long run if you move around to different places. I'm never in one spot long enough to justify getting a larger tank moved in. Due to me having the Cheap Heat I use very little propane with the tankless water heater and cooking.