Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: DRV
State: Georgia
Posts: 23
THOR #5807
DRV and Trailaire Kingpin

Odering a new Suite. Considering a Trailaire Kingpin.

GVWR of Suite is 21K. Trailaire is rated at 21K.

Ordering the Suite with the 2" frame riser. TV is a 2017 F450.

Planning on using the Curt Q24K hitch because is has a lot of vertical height adjustment (13-17") and fits the Ford puck system. Looked at the TrailerSaver TS3, but $2795 plus $600 for the Ford puck adapter, plus shipping, plus 400lb weight....maybe a future upgrade when the budget recovers.

Looking for comments/reviews/suggestions from those who have real-world experience with the Trailaire on these very heavy rigs. Bottom line...would you choose that option again?

Thanks in advance!

__________________
hsb1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,838
THOR #1661
Change to a RAM you will thank me! If you are convinced Ford is the way to go then I would go B&W puck. I know it's rated 20K but compare to the Curt that is Made in china and you will see why I say this!

I tow 33K combined with factory rear air ride it's a rock solid combo. Just look at the rV haulers and Hotshotters. VAST majority are RAM's.

Ford still uses the CP4 pump GM did until 2017 they changed because of so many failures. RAM has the CP3 pump that is very dependable.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Brand: DRV
State: Georgia
Posts: 23
THOR #5807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Change to a RAM you will thank me! If you are convinced Ford is the way to go then I would go B&W puck. I know it's rated 20K but compare to the Curt that is Made in china and you will see why I say this!

I tow 33K combined with factory rear air ride it's a rock solid combo. Just look at the rV haulers and Hotshotters. VAST majority are RAM's.

Ford still uses the CP4 pump GM did until 2017 they changed because of so many failures. RAM has the CP3 pump that is very dependable.
Looking for info on kingpin set up as stated. Glad you are happy with your rig...Not getting into a RAM/Chevy/Ford debate...all great vehicles, will always be personal preference unless you are willing to write the check. BTW, I've followed lots your posts and you have provided me with a TON of useful information...thank you!

Lots of great reviews on the Curt. B&W does not have a Ford puck system rated high enough. Plus, it has less height adjustment, otherwise, they were my first choice.
__________________
hsb1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
Posts: 187
THOR #1667
We had a Trailaire kingpin on our last fiver along with a B&W Companion hitch. Did an OK job with the pin weights it had but it would not hold air much past 2 or 3 days despite a lot of effort to find a leak. The system worked OK with pin weight that are a LOT lower than what I have now (4.5K). If your pin weights are not much over 3.5K, they work as advertised but over that, you put so much air in that single bag that they become almost a solid ball.


The next tow vehicle had a TrailerSaver hitch and was light years ahead of the TrailAir but also quite a bit more expensive. It did eliminate a lot of issues and provided a smooth ride.


Our current truck has an ET hitch and while nice, I don't think for the money that I would buy one again. Henry has a few issues that need to be fixed on his hitch and I know that I am going to modify mine to fix a few problems that I have with his design.


If you can afford one now, the TrailerSaver would be my first choice. If not, the B&W Companion with the TrailAir would be a good solid choice depending on the trailer pin weight.


Don't know about the Anderson system but I have used the other three that I mentioned with two different trailer and three tow vehicles ranging from a 1 ton dually, to an M2 class 7 truck to a purpose built Kenworth Semi class 7.


YMMV


David
__________________
2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite
2016 Smart
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
DonandPatti's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
Posts: 193
THOR #4040
Happy with our F450 and the TS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsb1993 View Post
Odering a new Suite. Considering a Trailaire Kingpin.

GVWR of Suite is 21K. Trailaire is rated at 21K.

Ordering the Suite with the 2" frame riser. TV is a 2017 F450.

Planning on using the Curt Q24K hitch because is has a lot of vertical height adjustment (13-17") and fits the Ford puck system. Looked at the TrailerSaver TS3, but $2795 plus $600 for the Ford puck adapter, plus shipping, plus 400lb weight....maybe a future upgrade when the budget recovers.

Looking for comments/reviews/suggestions from those who have real-world experience with the Trailaire on these very heavy rigs. Bottom line...would you choose that option again?

Thanks in advance!
We are getting ready for our first trip with the 2017 F450 and the DRV. We are happy with the TS3 and currently have 7" or clearance in the front and 5" in the back near the tailgate. I would like a little more clearance and and have talked to Rob Kolean at MorRyde about that. The DRV is slightly nose high and I do not have the risers (yet). Good luck with your new setup.

Don
__________________
https://mydrvpictures.shutterfly.com
2016 38RSSA FB Paint, induction cooktop, 3" Risers, solar, 4 batteries, Cheap Heat, MorRyde Steps
2017 F450 Lariat, CC, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. Retrax, TS3 Hitch, 55g aux.tank, 200 psi air system
DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Brand: DRV
State: Georgia
Posts: 23
THOR #5807
David, thanks for the info, this is just what I was looking for.

Where about in GA? I grew up in Perry, but it's been a very long time since I've been back.
__________________
hsb1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:28 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Brand: DRV
State: Georgia
Posts: 23
THOR #5807
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonandPatti View Post
We are getting ready for our first trip with the 2017 F450 and the DRV. We are happy with the TS3 and currently have 7" or clearance in the front and 5" in the back near the tailgate. I would like a little more clearance and and have talked to Rob Kolean at MorRyde at about that. The DRV is slightly nose high and I do not have the risers (yet). Good luck with your new setup.

Don
Don...thank you very much!! I'll be ordering the 2" risers, so it sounds like I'll have no problems towing level and getting the appropriate clearance as long as I find a hitch with enough available adjustment.

I really want to go with the TS3, But as we are now planning on more of a half-time lifestyle for now, I'm not so sure about the 400lbs when I need my truck bed. Figure for now, we'll go with a standard hitch and re-evaluate after a year or so of traveling.

Your rig sounds familiar...are you on the FTE 2017 Super Duty Forum?

Thanks again for the insight! Good luck with your trip and keep us posted on how your set-up is treating you!
__________________
hsb1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:50 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
Posts: 187
THOR #1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsb1993 View Post
David, thanks for the info, this is just what I was looking for.

Where about in GA? I grew up in Perry, but it's been a very long time since I've been back.

In the extreme northwest corner of Georgia just south of Chattanooga Tennessee
__________________
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2