Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2017, 05:23 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Lightbulb Entertainment system

I have been wanting to organize my entertainment systems cabinet. Besides the stock stereo and DVD player I added an OTA DVR, 1 terabyte hard drive, Apple TV and a Firestick. I purchased two racks from the Container Store and painted them black. Then velcroed them down and even installed a loom over the colored cables. It looks SO much better. Plus it allows the components to have better air flow allowing them to run cooler.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:34 PM   #2

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I have been wanting to organize my entertainment systems cabinet. Besides the stock stereo and DVD player I added an OTA DVR, 1 terabyte hard drive, Apple TV and a Firestick. I purchased two racks from the Container Store and painted them black. Then velcroed them down and even installed a loom over the colored cables. It looks SO much better. Plus it allows the components to have better air flow allowing them to run cooler.

FANCY!!!

You may consider adding a small axial cooling with cooling T stat. My cabinet would get HOT. Trying to find pics.......
Old 10-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #3

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
FANCY!!!

You may consider adding a small axial cooling with cooling T stat. My cabinet would get HOT. Trying to find pics.......
I thought of adding a small fan or two. But I leave my doors slightly cracked so sit can circulate. I guess I could pull out my temp gun if I thought it was getting to hot to know the exact temp.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:45 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 24TX
State: Kentucky
THOR #7036
I have wanted to add an OTA DVD. Which one are you using, and how do you like it?
Old 10-15-2017, 06:37 AM   #5

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladinwj View Post
I have wanted to add an OTA DVD. Which one are you using, and how do you like it?
I have been using the Channel Master OTA DVR now for two years. I bought the base one and a terabyte external hard drive. It is the top component in the pic. It is very thin.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #6

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Cabinet gets VERY hot when outside temps are 90-120! This simple mod works VERY well.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:25 PM   #7

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Quote:
I thought of adding a small fan or two. But I leave my doors slightly cracked so sit can circulate. I guess I could pull out my temp gun if I thought it was getting to hot to know the exact temp.
Nice mods. fellows. Thanks for sharing. Yeah We've been using some of the wire racks also. Although I've neglected to paint them black (yet). Nice touch.
Much like your doors being cracked I've got several small blocks of closed cell foam that I insert near the latch(s). These keep the several doors ajar about an inch. This seems to lower temp effectively and is visually barely noticeable.

Cummins: with floor plan cabinet variation in mind I'm curious where your axial fan discharged to. Also do you have an inlet port somewhere to enable a cool cross flow? Very sweet, does the thermostat / appliance timer cycle the fan during off hours?

Be well.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:17 PM   #8

Model: Compass 24TX
State: Kentucky
THOR #7036
Quote:
I have been using the Channel Master OTA DVR now for two years. I bought the base one and a terabyte external hard drive. It is the top component in the pic. It is very thin.
Thanks!
Old 10-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #9

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Washington
THOR #8026
How can you choose shows to record in advance with the Channelmaster? Is there a guide service you have to subscribe to?
Old 10-16-2017, 11:35 PM   #10

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonKarstedt View Post
How can you choose shows to record in advance with the Channelmaster? Is there a guide service you have to subscribe to?
Yes it has a guide. It pulls it from over the air. But you can connect the DVR to WiFi for more channels that Channel Master provides. You can do single recordings or do a series so you do not have to remember to program it everyday or week. It is a two tuner DVR, meaning you can record two shows at once and then either watch a previous recording or what a live show through your TV if you want.

I researched this when I became full time a little over 2 years ago. I thought this was the best option that suited my needs.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:39 PM   #11

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Washington
THOR #8026
Sounds like a good setup. Others that I have looked in to require that you pay a monthly fee to access the program guide that ties in to the recorder. Sounds like ChannelMaster has them beat.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:52 PM   #12

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonKarstedt View Post
Sounds like a good setup. Others that I have looked in to require that you pay a monthly fee to access the program guide that ties in to the recorder. Sounds like ChannelMaster has them beat.
Yes they do. I think it is more of an upfront cost vs other systems. But like you said there is no monthly fee with Channel Master.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:06 AM   #13

THOR #1658
The guide looks like this-

Sometimes it does not show you what is what network. But if you look at the nightly news, it will show it as it will be in the title. I connect mine to WiFi all the time so it can update if needed and that I get the best guide.

And your DVRed menus looks like this-