Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2015, 09:01 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: MS 38RSSA
State: Washington
THOR #3145
Four 6 volt battery system: Is there an easy way to check water level?

Tried to check our coaches battery water levels for the first time recently, we have the four 6 volt batteries with a 2800 watt inverter. I was surprised by all the jumper cables and other connections which makes it really hard to open the individual cell caps. I could only open about half of them, the others were covered by the all the cables. I'll disconnect them if I have to but looks like a real chore, just wondering if someone else has figured out a clever way to check the water levels quickly and easily.

2016 MS 38RSSA #7896
2015 Ram 3500 Limited DRW 6.7L Cummins Aisen 4.10 Axle

Old 11-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
Yes, there is a battery fill system. Once installed, you hook up a bulb and put the end in a gallon of distilled water. Pump the bulb until it gets hard and it will fill each cell of the battery to the proper level. Installation is simple and if you call them they will tell you what system works for your coach. I have used it on 2 motor homes and a 5th wheel.

Fred
https://flow-rite.com/battery-watering
Old 11-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #3

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
The Flow-Rite system is the best thing since sliced bread! I've used it on both our previous and current 5th wheel.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud william View Post
....cut.... I could only open about half of them, the others were covered by the all the cables. ....cut.....
Have you looked to see if messy cabling can be streamlined? Whether you add a watering system or not, I'd personally want easy access to batteries.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #5

Model: 2016 38rssa
THOR #3115
Quote:
Tried to check our coaches battery water levels for the first time recently, we have the four 6 volt batteries with a 2800 watt inverter. I was surprised by all the jumper cables and other connections which makes it really hard to open the individual cell caps. I could only open about half of them, the others were covered by the all the cables. I'll disconnect them if I have to but looks like a real chore, just wondering if someone else has figured out a clever way to check the water levels quickly and easily.

2016 MS 38RSSA #7896
2015 Ram 3500 Limited DRW 6.7L Cummins Aisen 4.10 Axle
Just curious if they are on slide out trays? I ordered the same set up but won't see it until mid January?
Old 11-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #6

Model: MS 38RSSA
THOR #3145
The batteries are on slide out trays. Regardless of whether the trays are in or out the big gage cables are so stiff they block access to the water caps. There's probably nothing I can do but disconnect them, check the levels, and then reconnect. Not a real big deal, but just seems like a pain in the butt just to check something as basic as battery water levels. I'll also need to be careful about reconnecting everything since there are a lot of jumper cables. I like the automatic watering ideas that some have posted, but even with those I'll have to deal with the cables somehow to make sure they don't interfere with the replenishing tubes. When these batteries wear out I'm going to look for some maintenance-free replacements.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:48 PM   #7

Model: 2016 38rssa
THOR #3115
On my motor home I had similar situation . I purchased some post extensions/elbows on the troublesome posts. It helped.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:55 AM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
...cut..... I'll also need to be careful about reconnecting everything since there are a lot of jumper cables. ....cut.....
Any chance you can post a picture of the spaghetti?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:12 AM   #9

Model: 38 RSSA
State: Florida
THOR #2055
I use that water system mentioned above. As stated best thing since sliced bread. The trays only come out about half way. The batteries are heavy and it would take quite a tray to extend all the way. As far as the cables. I went in and loosened them at their terminals. I then was able to reroute them to easily hook up the new caps and water lines. Then retighten them in new position. Really not a big deal.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:40 AM   #10

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
While my 4 were apparently not as bad as yours, I did have some problems with several caps. I loosened the nuts securing the problem cables and repositioned them out of the way and then retightened the nuts!
It worked for me!
Old 11-06-2015, 02:46 AM   #11
MnP

Model: 38RSSB3
THOR #2069
I have the same issue with our 201 38RSSB3. I also went with the watering system mentioned above.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:09 AM   #12

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
How often do you all check the battery level?
Old 11-07-2015, 02:15 AM   #13
MnP

Model: 38RSSB3
THOR #2069
I never check the water level. Too darn hard to get the caps off of the batteries and then they won't pull out far enough to see into the back batteries.I just hook up the pump, put one end of the tube in a bottle of distilled water and pump until bulb is hard to squeeze. I do this once a month and the 4 batteries take 2 or 3 ounces of water.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:30 AM   #14

THOR #1658
Thanks, looks like a cool battery system. Another thing to put on the buy list.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:54 AM   #15

THOR #1658
I just installed mine today. I ordered the kit on Friday late morning and was at the campground on Monday. Supper fast service from rvupgrades.com. I would order from them again for sure. Here is a pic of it installed.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #16

Model: 43' MS Atlanta
State: Arizona
THOR #1683
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I just installed mine today. I ordered the kit on Friday late morning and was at the campground on Monday. Supper fast service from rvupgrades.com. I would order from them again for sure. Here is a pic of it installed.

Ryno,

Is that the system mentioned in previous posts up above? The Flow Rite system?

I need to get one ordered also.

Joe
Old 11-26-2015, 03:44 AM   #17

THOR #1658
Yes it is a flow rite system. It is the generic one as I was not sure of what batteries were in the coach. On there website it was a RV2000 kit plus I ordered the pump.

Items Ordered: Price: Status:
1 of : Flow-Rite RV-2000 RV Battery Watering System For 6V Batteries
$44.70 Shipped
1 of : Flow-Rite RV-2020 Hand Pump
$18.03 Shipped
Old 11-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #18

Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
I guess I'm "old school." I prefer to actually put "eyes on" the battery levels. I did have to re-route one cable on each battery, but now I can place a small folding outdoor side table in front of the extended tray with a 2x6 (or 8, 10, 12) on that.

Each of our batteries then has a small upward extrusion on each end with a hole in it that then allows me to place a screwdriver through it to lift the end of each one and slip it out a bit. There is enough play in the cables to allow me to do that 3 or 4 times, enough to get the batteries out to where I can see into each cell and fill if needed.

I know there is a clamp system on the batteries, but on our 2010, that system is so poor that it has never really been tightly holding the batteries down anyway.

Terry
Old 11-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #19

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry and Jo View Post
I guess I'm "old school." I prefer to actually put "eyes on" the battery levels. ....cut....

Terry
Me too. I like seeing if conditions change over time.

While in school a long time ago I worked part time on a very large farm, and occasionally had to refuel tractors and other equipment, which included having to check battery levels. Most had two 12-Volt batteries, so each had the same number of caps (12) to remove for inspection. After a while it didn't seem that much work -- granted most batteries were easily accessible.

Anyway, one of the things I learned was that water usage was often not uniform, with some batteries or even cells within the same equipment needing more water.

A personal concern of mine with a watering system would be that I wouldn't see existing or pending issues as clearly. Unless there is a way, that I'm not aware of, to know where the added water ends up.