Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2016, 05:49 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Question Furnace insect screen

I bought this Camco filter screen at Camping World,Flying Insect Screen for Sol-Aire, Coleman, Hydroflame and Suburban Furnaces - Camco 42140 - Insect Control - Camping World
And I DO NOT like the way that it sits, so I returned it. It rests on the paint of the chrome plate. I could see it rubbing the paint off over time. So what is everyone using? My thought was to buy a small SS mesh and mount it behind the chrome plate.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
For fridge and furnace - I used Camco (but my furnace screen fit inside...)
For my water heater - the design offered was like the one you returned. I didn't like it either.

I bought small SS mesh at the hardware store and cut my own to fit inside.
Works great - and nothing on outside to scratch finish or fall off..
Old 02-06-2016, 04:07 PM   #3

Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
We don't have the same issue, but we're using the "pair" of screens on out furnace vents. However, over our furnace vents are chrome plated additions, so the screens aren't against the paint. We don't have any screens over the hot water heater.

The chrome plates have Suburban's name on them, so they could have been standard with our coach. Our dealer did put the screens on, but I don't know if the plates could be purchased and attached over the vent area.

I wonder if such plates are available to attach to the outside of the coach so that they wouldn't be rubbing around? Maybe that's what our dealer did?

Terry
Old 02-07-2016, 05:58 AM   #4

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry and Jo View Post
We don't have the same issue, but we're using the "pair" of screens on out furnace vents. However, over our furnace vents are chrome plated additions, so the screens aren't against the paint. We don't have any screens over the hot water heater.

The chrome plates have Suburban's name on them, so they could have been standard with our coach. Our dealer did put the screens on, but I don't know if the plates could be purchased and attached over the vent area.

I wonder if such plates are available to attach to the outside of the coach so that they wouldn't be rubbing around? Maybe that's what our dealer did?

Terry
Terry, I saw those there. I think I will have to give them a try.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #5

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
What Terry has are the way to go.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #6

Model: 36RSSB3
THOR #1678
On the furnace I have the same ones that Terry has. Work fine with no problems.
2008 36RSS3B #4570
2005 Freightliner M2-106 Sport
Eagle Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
For 2016 Axis and Vegas owners, Thor changed the furnace on the 2016 models so while the hot water heater and fridge bug screens still work, the furnace screen does not. However I purchased a Camco FUR500 (for 2004 Atwood) and it fits perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	642
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1392  
Old 02-08-2016, 02:27 AM   #8

Model: 43' MS Atlanta
State: Arizona
THOR #1683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry and Jo View Post

Terry
Those type screens are what we had installed on the Select we traded in. Thanks for reminding me we need to get some on the new Atlanta.

Joe
Old 02-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #9

Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
Using Google Images, search with the phrase, "Suburban furnace vent" and you will see what apparently is on our coach. One would still have to buy the screens, but at least there wouldn't be any rubbing of the paint.

Terry