Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2018, 12:20 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 39RESB3
State: Florida
THOR #5499
Furrion Camera

Does anyone know if DRV pre-installed the wiring for the Furrion Observation/backup camera? And if so, is the 12-volt wiring hooked up to the clearance lights for power?

Thank you!

juicesqueezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:25 AM   #2

Model: 38RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #3539
There was no preinstallation in my unit. I installed the Furrion Rear Observation camera and powered it by tapping into the center rear clearance light. When I turn on the lights on the truck I get power to the camera and can use it to see what is behind me.
Lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:42 AM   #3

THOR #5499
Thanks, Steve! The reason I thought maybe it was prewired was something was removed back there and there was a wire hanging out that had been cut. Don't know why this previous owner removed the unit, but it is what it is. I may just order the complete Furrion kit and install it.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:11 AM   #4

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicesqueezer View Post
Does anyone know if DRV pre-installed the wiring for the Furrion Observation/backup camera? And if so, is the 12-volt wiring hooked up to the clearance lights for power?

Thank you!
They pre wire for satellite and solar. But I think that is it unless you requested it on your build.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #5

THOR #5499
Thank you both for responding. I am going to purchase the Furrion camera and install it. Since there is already two plugged screw holes back there and the cut wire, it shouldn't be that hard to trace the wire back to 12 volts hook up.
In my research, I found that several vendors sell the Furrion model FOS48TAPK-BL, which has the plate, wire and camera combo for $346. It only has the 4.5-inch screen, but I believe that anything showing the rear will be of some help. It has a transmission of over a 100 feet, so should work well.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #6

THOR #5499
Furrion observation camera came in yesterday and got it up and running this morning in between the showers and heat with high humidity! You know it's hot when your underwear is wet after only an hour working outside!
Once hooked up, I was getting 4 bars on the screen, which is excellent.
Furrion says up to 100 feet for transmission, so should be good to go with this setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180725_160722 (2).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	11755   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180725_122131 (2).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	11756  

Old 07-25-2018, 08:45 PM   #7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Furrion is a good system...had that on previous Open Range. Lights had to be on for it to work. If you have issues, check that first as mine was powered into tail lights from factory.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:16 AM   #8

THOR #5499
Yes, I should have said I wired these into the clearance lights.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:15 AM   #9

Model: 38RSB3
THOR #3539
This is the same way I mounted and wired mine. I normally drive with the lights on anyway so it is not an issue to have them on to use the camera.

Shortly after I installed mine I started having light issues with the trailer lights. Now they flash like a Christmas tree after about 20 minutes of driving with the lights on. Might be coincidental with camera installation but I have now disconnected the camera from the circuit. If it still does it I think it will likely be the relay box in the battery compartment that separates the tail and turn signals. If that is not it, I hate chasing wiring problems and that it what it will likely be.
Lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:22 AM   #10

Model: MSA 38
State: California
THOR #8171
We have tried several other brands bought the best they had, all said the 100 foot thing and they all work great in the driveway, but as soon as you get on the road and up to speed they all have had issues with pic cutting out, returned them all. We have pretty much given up hope that a wireless will work good enough to feel like it is money well spent. Please update us when you take your rig out on the open road and freeway speeds as to it holding a picture. If yours works good I just might give it a go again, as I am getting fast as hooking up and taking down..
Old 07-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #11

THOR #11130
My TT was 40' behind a crew cab 2500HD and the picture/signal was excellent. There is a signal strength bar on the monitor. If it isn't getting a strong signal, something is interfering with it. Check other stuff and maybe relocate a portable GPS, cellphones, etc. The Furrion should work flawlessly.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:26 AM   #12

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiranch View Post
We have tried several other brands bought the best they had, all said the 100 foot thing and they all work great in the driveway, but as soon as you get on the road and up to speed they all have had issues with pic cutting out, returned them all. We have pretty much given up hope that a wireless will work good enough to feel like it is money well spent. Please update us when you take your rig out on the open road and freeway speeds as to it holding a picture. If yours works good I just might give it a go again, as I am getting fast as hooking up and taking down..
As soon as we take our next trip, I will update everyone.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #13

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
My TT was 40' behind a crew cab 2500HD and the picture/signal was excellent. There is a signal strength bar on the monitor. If it isn't getting a strong signal, something is interfering with it. Check other stuff and maybe relocate a portable GPS, cellphones, etc. The Furrion should work flawlessly.
I like the signal strength indicator on the screen. Makes it so much easier to see how the signal is doing.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #14

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Signal strength to me is can I see what's behind me traveling at 60-70.

Speaking of that little relay box I junked mine and have ALL three of my red lights blink at the same time and all are red same with the running lights all 6 are red at the same time.

Anyone actually has a wireless system that works WELL at highway speeds please let me know the make and model number. Even one that uses a cable to get to the front of the RV that then sends signal to TV.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #15

THOR #11130
The Furrion is a great system but I don't remember the model number. The one I had was the standard for the Open Range 323RLS. You have something going on there that's interfering with your signal. Try moving the truck alongside the trailer and see if it's any better (closer to camera). At least this would isolate any wiring issues if it didn't improve.