Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2016, 07:47 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Tennessee
THOR #1668
Generator Decision

I'm going to buy one. That decision is made. Purpose being occasional boon-docking and Wally World stay overs. The ultimate is the Honda 7000 series ($4,000) 5500 running watts. My second choice is Power House PH4000 ($1,500) 3600 running watts. Big difference in price. But you get what you pay for.

How many have bought one size and latter wishing you had gone for the bigger one? Is it worth spending so much more the first time or is it a waste for what is really needed for those once in awhile times? Personal choice yes, but what was or is your experience on this?

Old 04-08-2016, 08:37 PM   #2

Model: 41RSSB4
State: Wyoming
THOR #2094
I really enjoyed having the 5500 Onan on our last boondocking trip. But that's just me.

I don't really have much else to add except for the powerhouse option. RUN AWAY!!! The dealer we bought our toy hauler from a couple years ago only had powerhouse generators. Worked decently for the first week. Then nothing but issues. Currently it won't send any kind of electricity out at all.

I'm not sure about the big ones, but on the 2100 you can't logically service the thing in any capacity. I think the manufacturer expects you to just run it until the oil completely breaks down and then you just get a new genny. I simply gave mine away.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:05 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Going along the county coast rv park you pass lots of generators outside trailers - Hondas are the quietest.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #4

Model: Dallas
State: Kansas
THOR #3754
I'm trying to plan for this option and have a few questions if you don't mind. Is your generator mounted in the basement of your DRV? If so how loud is it while you are inside? If it is not in the basement where do you store it and where is it during operation?
Old 04-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #5

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
We have the 220V dryer option. Sad part is DRV did not have a generator that had two legs that would run the dryer. Did some research. The 6500 LP gen they offer is available in the 6500LP Commercial. Same exact footprint. I tried every way to allow Cummins/Onan to install the Commercial model but DRV's final answer was NO! So they did the Gen prep and RollingRetreats installed the 6500 LP Commercial gen for us. I can run two AC's no problem along with other items.