Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2016, 07:24 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Talking Got to LOVE this!!

This is the first time I have seen diesel cheaper then gas.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #2

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
First time I've seen it since ULSD was introduced.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Our gasoline is 1.469.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #4

Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
I have seen diesel cheaper than gas but it was a LONG time ago.,. Back then I was a pump jockey at dad's station and regular was 28.9 a gallon.High test was 32.9 a gallon and dissel was 25.9
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #5

Model: MOBIL SUITES
THOR #3249
It is great at the pump but us in the oil business, it is killing us. This is the worse I have seen in since I started in this business back in the 70's. Hopefully it will turn around with a new president. Most folks don't realize all the side affects when the oil industry is down. It is now starting to affect some many users in all the side products that use oil products and by products.....
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
It is great at the pump but us in the oil business, it is killing us. This is the worse I have seen in since I started in this business back in the 70's. Hopefully it will turn around with a new president. Most folks don't realize all the side affects when the oil industry is down. It is now starting to affect some many users in all the side products that use oil products and by products.....
A large portion can be blamed on China's up and down usage causing the oil glut present now along with the more fuel efficient automobiles.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #7

THOR #2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
It's no fun in the oil patch right now for sure. I just retired January 1st after 42 years, but I still feel for my friends and colleagues that I left behind. Our company hasn't had that many layoffs....yet, but with current crude oil and natural gas prices, they're coming.

Most of the reason for the current depressed prices has to do with Saudi Arabia's declared war on North American shale play producers. The Saudis (and, with pressure from Saudi, OPEC as well) are flooding the global markets with cheap crude to drive out the higher-cost oil from the shale plays, tar sands, etc. Oversupply with depressed demand leads to today's situation. Of course, the refiners, chemical companies and others who use oil as a feedstock are making money hand over fist today.

Rusty
Old 01-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
How many billions of dollars profit did the oil companies make last year!?

CEO getting million dollar bonuses!

Poor oil companies!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:35 PM   #9

THOR #2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post

Poor oil companies!
My comments weren't about "oil companies", nor had anyone else above bemoaned these companies' plight. I'm talking about men and women working in this industry to feed their families and to keep a roof over their heads - some of them are your neighbors at Ariel and Siemens Energy in Mount Vernon, Ohio. If you care nothing about these families' breadwinners being out of work, well, you just enjoy your cheap diesel and keep on gloating. Be careful, though - Karma can be rough.

Rusty
Old 01-14-2016, 12:08 AM   #10

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post

Poor oil companies!
NOT NEAR AS MUCH AS THE STATE AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENT on every gallon of fuel sold.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:40 AM   #11

THOR #1658
I did not mean to stir up anything. Being a Fulltimer on a pension, I like cheap fuel. As it does not take a chunk out of the budget.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:44 AM   #12

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I did not mean to stir up anything. Being a Fulltimer on a pension, I like cheap fuel. As it does not take a chunk out of the budget.

Same here but I am not going to listen to nonsense!
Old 01-14-2016, 01:48 AM   #13

THOR #2754
Quote:
Rynosback,

Nothing wrong with what you said. My response wasn't directed to you. I enjoy lower fuel prices too, but they are a two-edged sword as several of us who are/were in the oil & gas industry have pointed out.

Rusty
Old 01-14-2016, 02:50 AM   #14

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Quote:
I agree Ryan.

Dan
Old 01-14-2016, 02:51 AM   #15

Model: 43' MS Atlanta
State: Arizona
THOR #1683
Sub $2.00 diesel finally hit Tucson this week. I found it for $1.99 today and filled up. Unfortunately, I only needed 23 gallons this time.

Joe
Old 01-14-2016, 03:12 AM   #16

Model: 41RSSB4
State: Wyoming
THOR #2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
NOT NEAR AS MUCH AS THE STATE AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENT on every gallon of fuel sold.
This!!!!!! Spot on!!!! And in case no one is paying attention, there are many in congress that want to INCREASE these taxes now while the prices are low.

I remember when the change to ULSD was required. Noticed the change in MPG soon after on my 06 Cummins. Sadly, with how much it takes to refine our diesel now we won't ever see the huge difference in price that we used to enjoy over the gassers.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #17

Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post

Plus think of the fact that the government pays absolutely NOTHING TO Produce each gallon of fuel. Then it taxes both the oil company for getting it from the ground by taxing their profits, and the oil company employees for their labor's to extract it. Government is really nothing much more than a greedy hog.

Here in Colorado, I've seen the price differences between gasoline and diesel fluctuate back and forth. Right now, diesel is again higher than gasoline.

By the way, if you are traveling I-25 through Colorado Springs, there is a new Walmart and Sam's Club on the south side off of Academy (right off of the interstate and around the bend) that sells both gasoline and diesel. I think they are the first to have both at their stations. It is linked to Sam's membership to get a 5-cent discount by first inserting one's Sam's card.

However, it is not friendly for the length of RV's. The pumps are such that one could pull in and fuel in a motorhome and then try to back out the same entrance one enters. As for trucks and trailers, one might need to unhook the trailer as the traffic around there is pretty busy for trying to back out again.

Terry
Old 01-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #18

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #2954
Now you woke up the economist in me. Careful I might start drawing charts any minute

The point missed here is the difference between profit and profit margin. I can say I made a million dollars last year and that sounds impressive. If I say I invested (i.e. risked) a billion dollars to make that million dollars, that is not so impressive. A profit margin of only 0.1% isn't even what I can get from a savings account.

This from Forbes:
"on average, between 2006 and 2010, the largest oil companies averaged a profit margin of around 6.5%. This pales in comparison to profit margins in just about every other industry. The pharmaceutical industry, for example, routinely averages a profit margin of about 16%. The soft drink market is even more lucrative."

"At the gas tank integrated oil companies make about 7 cents per gallon. Meanwhile, the government extracts more than 48 cents, on average, per gallon. That’s right: Uncle Sam takes nearly seven times more out of drivers’ wallets via taxation than “Big Oil.”"
Old 01-14-2016, 08:09 PM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Rynosback,

Nothing wrong with what you said. My response wasn't directed to you. I enjoy lower fuel prices too, but they are a two-edged sword as several of us who are/were in the oil & gas industry have pointed out.

Rusty
Agree. And it doesn't just affect people who are/were in oil industry, it can also affect us who live in an area that supports oil. In the Houston area when oil is hurting it affects the economy enough to affect house prices, etc... Granted it works both ways. That's why I prefer prices to remain stable and change gradually rather than wild swings.

Regarding salaries and bonuses -- I guess we could argue that their work affects more people than that of movie stars and athletes that often make even more than CEOs. Other than believing in free markets it's hard to make sense why some talents are paid more than others.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:37 AM   #20

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Rynosback,

Rusty
I know Rusty. I even think there are more then two sides to this topic.
Thanks