Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oklahoma
THOR #14848
Hitch pondering

Hello experts.....here to pick your collective brains [emoji3447]!

We have been FT in a 2017 Tradition for a year now in prep for retirement. Initially I had no truck when I purchased the trailer and had it moved to the park close to my work. Just bought my truck ‘20 Ram 3500 DRW 8ft bed. I haven’t purchased a hitch or bed cover yet.....hence the questions.

I am fairly sure I’m going to get the Pace Edwards Bedlocker cover. I have initially been leaning towards the Trailersaver Hitch....not sure which exact model yet...or the Airsafe hitch. The truck has the puck system....so I’ve also considered a much less expensive Curt/B&W/Reese etc that will pop right in...kind of hard to ignore the savings in cost and ease of installation.

So here’s my concerns.....if I pick one of the two air cushioned hitches...obviously with an adapter for the puck mount will the bed cover still clear the hitch? Does anyone have first hand experience with this? Having sold our sticks/bricks over a year ago, I will have nowhere to really store the hitch so it will be in the truck all the time.
I assume the ready for puck hitches don’t sit as high...maybe I’m wrong...not sure. But if they do, obviously they’d be more likely to not interfere with the bed cover....but that brings into question if I need that extra height to clear the bed rails.......

I’m hoping the collective wisdom here can help me make these relatively expensive decisions with some guidance..

Thanks!!

Old 06-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Florida
THOR #17449
We have a 2018 Ram 3500 DRW 8ft bed that came with the Ram "Curt" 30K hitch. We pull a late model Mobile Suites. The Hitch works great and for me having the ability to remove it is a benefit as we still have a couple years before we hit the rd full time. I'm not going to use a bed cover dealt with them in the past on other trucks and find them to be a pain, plus I plan on installing a combination tool box/fuel tank in the front of the bed.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
The odds of someone here having the same truck, same hitch options or same bed cover are slight.
I will say we fulltimed for 10+ years with the last 6 using the B&W companion hitch. It worked great, had plenty of adjustments to get to the perfect setup, fairly easily removed, & hitchable/unhitchable at most any angle.
I don't have any experience with any of the cushioned hitches as my 5er had the hitch with the shock/airbag, TrailAir Flex Air, that also worked well once the perfect air pressure was figured out.
As for always being in the bed it's heavy enough that no one is going to easily carry it off out of your truck like one of those pyramid lightweight aluminum hitches if that's a concern.
The bed cover, if it sits below inside the bed rails it will affect the turning radius by making the bed rails more narrow so watch for that. If it sits on the bed rails the clearance for the fifth wheel will be affected by a couple inches which in turn could affect getting the 5er to hook up level & still have proper clearance.
Good luck & enjoy your full-time experience!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #4

THOR #14848
Definitely will be doing the bed cover. We will need the secure storage for various things. I like the bedlocker will lock at any point in retraction.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:06 PM   #5

THOR #14848
Hitch pondering

Yes....of all the secure roll up hard covers I’ve viewed online, the bedlocker appears to be the lowest profile in relation to the bed rails.
I realize that it’s unrealistic to think someone on here will have the exact same setup. But....that said I think that there could be a decent chance someone would have the bedcover/hitch combo....and providing similar bed side heights you could determine if the cover clears....

I gave the truck specifics because I figure I’m not the only one who has pondered choosing between the expensive air hitch....and the convenient puck mount hitch.

Not worried about someone stealing the hitch, but would need it to fit under the bed cover when not towing...

We have the air ride pinbox as well..
Old 06-20-2020, 04:46 PM   #6

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Here is what I use. Stay away from CURT, one reason is it's Made in Communist China if that matters to you. They don't unhitch on slopes with RV and truck in different planes very easily. They have a IMHO cheap locking system with a flimsy lock and colored system. I tow heavier than most at 24-25k with this B&W along with the TrailAire air bag TriGlide system. Not available but the FlexAire would be a good choice for your lighter RV.

B&W is 100% Made In USA with a simple solid latching system and there is NO question if you are hitched or not. Close and lock handle and LOOK to see the 1" machined jaws are surrounding the kingpin and the mating plates are touching and there is no question if you are hitched.

Notice the B&W's head pivot point is at the height of the kingpin. Notice the CURT is several inches below and is known for causing fore and aft movement as in "CHUCKING".

Old 06-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #7

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
I also run the B&W hitch in my Ram with the puck system. This is a beefy hitch. YouR rig maybe nose high. Do you know if your rig has risers? I would think not, but worth an ask. Did you opt for the rear air ride suspension?
Old 06-20-2020, 06:04 PM   #8

THOR #14848
I did opt for the factory air suspension....and that trail air pin box looks very similar if not exactly like mine. I don’t know for sure if the previous owner put risers on the trailer....but I really doubt it (need to bend my creaking knees and investigate).....so does anyone have an opinion of that B&W fitting under a solid roll cover?
Old 06-20-2020, 06:06 PM   #9

THOR #14848
Definitely like the simplicity of that puck mount B&W...
Old 06-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #10

THOR #1661
YES it will fit. My B&W sets at 18" to top plate above the bed. My bed rails are 21.5" above bed.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:38 PM   #11

THOR #14848
Thanks! Nice to know! And after looking on e-trailer’s website, several customer photos show it with a cover installed.

I’ve pondered on this at some length. Knowing the point of having a truck with the built in pucks is to simplify the hitch process. And it takes up less space than having to use an adapter etc. so why complicate it? Not to mention that it’s considerably cheaper.

I’ve no doubt the air-ride hitches are super smooth...but it seems that a very many people are happy with their non-air cushioned....so.....there it is!
Old 06-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #12

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagato1750 View Post
So here’s my concerns.....if I pick one of the two air cushioned hitches...obviously with an adapter for the puck mount will the bed cover still clear the hitch?
Even if you find someone with the same truck trailer and hitch you want, it still may be a 'take a chance and try'.

That said, I have a 2011 F-350 with a TruckCovers USA roller cover and trailer saver ts-3 hitch using a trailer saver picture frame puck adapter.

I have the hitch height set at the standard height.
At that setting is is a bit low for the trailer to have proper clearance, but the trailer is near level when towing.

At that height setting the cover rubs along the top of the hitch when I open and close it. I also had to cut grooves in the rear edge of the cover for it to clear the hitch.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:55 PM   #13

THOR #14848
You’re absolutely correct in that it’s a trial and error no matter what.....I think I’m going to give the B&W companion a try.....
Old 06-22-2020, 11:25 PM   #14

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
YES it will fit. My B&W sets at 18" to top plate above the bed. My bed rails are 21.5" above bed.
You also have 3” risers if I remember correctly. I would suspect that he does not have any risers.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:37 PM   #15

THOR #14848
Am I correct in my assumption that the “risers” that you refer to are on the trailer?
Old 06-23-2020, 03:07 AM   #16

THOR #1658
Quote:
Am I correct in my assumption that the “risers” that you refer to are on the trailer?
Yes, risers are when they add another tube of steel to the frame. I had them add 2’ steel tubes to my frame, 2” risers. This is to make sure that you are towing level and not nose high. This is very important for two main reasons. Gives you even bedrail clearance and distributes the weight of your rig properly. These newer trucks have been getting taller over the past 8 years. And the RV manufactures have not taken notice of it, so it is buyer beware.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:25 AM   #17

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
You also have 3” risers if I remember correctly. I would suspect that he does not have any risers.
It is all about the height of the PinBox. Yes 3"

Is your hitch at the lowest setting?
Old 06-23-2020, 04:44 AM   #18

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
It is all about the height of the PinBox. Yes 3"

Is your hitch at the lowest setting?
I think I’m one from the bottom on mine.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:38 AM   #19

THOR #14848
The risers....which I’ll likely need once I get the hitch in....I had mistakenly thought that they were spacers that would fit between the axle and the spring mounts.... or the shackles....or something suspension-wise much like they used to do for off roading..... but this is not correct? I haven’t even tried to google it yet.. so being a little lazy! But getting the info from real people with experience fits better sometimes..... what risers have y’all used.... and are there owner installable??
Old 06-23-2020, 01:14 PM   #20

THOR #1661
Quote:
The risers....which I’ll likely need once I get the hitch in....I had mistakenly thought that they were spacers that would fit between the axle and the spring mounts.... or the shackles....or something suspension-wise much like they used to do for off roading..... but this is not correct? I haven’t even tried to google it yet.. so being a little lazy! But getting the info from real people with experience fits better sometimes..... what risers have y’all used.... and are there owner installable??
I am fairly certain you have a standard sprung suspension. Most DRV's have the MORryde IS independent suspension.

I would get it hooked up and see what needs to be adjusted if anything. Run your truck in ALT ride position as this will keep the rear of the truck as low as possible.

On the hitch, mount head supports full forward and have the straight edge towards the cab.