Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
IMHO if you are going to spend 100K+ one of these should be installed and fully tied into your RV.

Yes, I totally agree.
IF the manufacture is able to insulate/isolate the compartment they put the beast in so it doesn't break your ears or vibrate you right out of the rig.
I have owned three units with the onboard genny, and they were all that way. That is the main reason I now go with duel Honda's.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #22

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Lloyd= I couldn't agree more. I have no desire to have a generator under my bed running at night with the noise, vibration and exhaust fumes. I did carry a portable around for a few years. Then I realized I had not used it in 5 years. Sold it in Texas when the park had a yard sale. I guess we're not cut out for boon docking.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:48 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2334
I also use Honda 2000 generator for power backup at my home. I think it is one of most demanding honda portable generators. Because of its fascinating features it has gained a lot of popularity. The price is also quite reasonable!
Old 07-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #24

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
I have run the 6500 a few times now now and inside it is not bad at all and outside it is no louder than my Honda 2000. WELL worth the investment!

Runs all three AC's at one time. Turned on the 240V dryer at the same time that was too much!
Old 09-08-2015, 01:27 AM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
State: Maryland
THOR #1312
Here's a video I just created about testing a generator for a floating neutral and an easy way to bond it for EMS operation. If you're using two generators in parallel, the best place to install the G-N bonding plug is on the second "companion" generator. That's because the linking wires are not "polarized" and can easiy be reversed.

Mike Sokol
The No~Shack~Zone

Old 09-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #26

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
We had a Jayco Pinnacle 5th wheel with an onan 5500 genset. The unit had the factory installed generator prep and it was wonderful! The onboard fuel tank held 20 gallons of gas and the gauge on the tank was surprisingly accurate. I would not bother with portable gensets if there was anyway to mount one permanently. We even hooked up an Onan EC-30W, automatic generator start that worked fantastic.

Fred
Old 09-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #27

State: South Dakota
THOR #2697
There is a simple solution. I had the same problem and Greg Weldon sent me this. a $7.50 fix.

Make one of these.
http://www.noshockzone.org/generator...utral-bonding/
Old 09-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #28

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
A permanently installed generator is the only way to go. Had one on our Jayco Pinnacle 5th wheel and we loved it. We would run the generator going down the road with the both A/C's on so when we got to our location the coach was cool. Nothing like setting up in hot weather and walking into a cool unit.

Fred
Old 09-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #29

Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Tennessee
THOR #1668
Fred,

You can do the same thing with a portable if you are pulling a 5th wheel. Your generator can sit in the bed or if you have a swivel wheel trailer or cargo carrier attached to the rear hitch. This allows a lot more storage in the front of the basement and less weight on the pin. So...not really the only way to go. Everyone has different set ups. My power cord is located in the very rear of my unit. My portable generator will be sitting on my swivel wheel trailer. For my use this is the way to go.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #30

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
Our MS has the "semi-generator prep" package with a Marinco 120/240V 50A receptacle on the front of the 5th wheel next to the front compartment door. We can run our 2 paralleled Yamaha EF2000iS generators in the bed of the truck and power an A/C on 30A service while we're traveling.

Like the Hondas, the Yamahas have a floating neutral and require a G-N bonding plug to prevent the E9 "missing ground" error on the Progressive Industries power protection system.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #31

Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Tennessee
THOR #1668
We have the same set up on ours. I'm looking at buying the Honda EU7000 so it can handle everything if we boondock. Just in the planing stages right now. I bought a used swivel wheel trailer and completly overhauled it to suit my needs. So, as I stated above the plan is to mount the generator plus other goodies on it.