Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: Alabama
THOR #3543
Cargo Carrier

Has any one mounted a cargo carrier to the rear of their MS 5th wheel using the installed hitch receiver? If so what did you buy and the size?

Thanks,

FS

Old 07-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #2

Model: 36RSSB3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4763
Looking at one at Camping World, about 60" long, 21" wide..Was going to put small foldable picnic table on it and a couple of chairs..probably 100#, but no more than 150#...Just wondering what opinions are on this also.

Join
Old 07-19-2016, 02:41 PM   #3

Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
One thing I had to do on our MS was to fix the excess "rocking" of anything inserted into the receiver. I just cranked up the welder and added 2 stringer beads on each side of the bike rack mount and then ground the welds down until I had a tight fit in the receiver. Use a black marker or some dykem on the mount to see where it is hitting, go slow and you can eliminate almost all of the play in the hitch.

Other than that, the hitch itself will take the weight but you need to remember how far behind the axles you are with the hitch. You can get some rather violent moves being that far back and you should check to see if the accessory you are buying is rated for RV use.

Most bike racks are not rated for RV use and I had to hunt for a while to find one I liked. The folding tables that I have seen in the past were meant to be put in place after you were setup, not going down the road but it has been a LOT of years since I looked at them. I'm sure that the modern designs are OK for travel but you should make sure about that.
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
You can get a Hitch Tightner, several on line just do a web search, I got the Stowaway Hitch Tightner. It takes the rattle and rocking out of anything you put into the receiver.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
You can get a locking hitch tightener at U-Haul for about $25, that's where I got & works great.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #6

Model: 38RSSA
THOR #1667
I got tired of tightening and loosening the bolts on the hitch lightener. I had the welder so.....
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:00 PM   #7

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Understood. A welder and a "Bob-cat" are two tools my DW has put off limits .

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:43 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
I got tired of tightening and loosening the bolts on the hitch lightener. I had the welder so.....
I took the two-receiver approach. If you can weld and can fabricate, two receivers eliminates rocking altogether and can also increase carrier capacity.

I purchased a standard carrier from Tractor Supply and then added a second 2X2 square tube after moving the supplied one off center. No rocking whatsoever and more capacity than I'd ever need. I've seen this type of setup with people who haul motorcycles and other heavy stuff.

Probably an overkill for a trailer though.