Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2020, 01:03 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38ps3
State: California
THOR #17404
Landing jack repair

So as some of you figured out I had my landing jacks fixed. They had been dropping the front for some time, and I just simply raised the front back up every few days.
I took the problem to Les in Mt.Vernon WA. From there he and his helper reworked them using upgraded seals, parts, and a retaining ring to stop the steel sleeve from wearing a hole in the metal return line, replace 2 bad hoses, and tighten all fittings. This work took 4 days. The first day the truck was connected to the trailer, then he used blocks and jacks to raise trailer and I was free to use truck to explore the country side. That made the difference during my stay not feeling trapped.
Needless to say, the jacks work now. Its not a cheep fix but part of this is custom and you pay for that, the piece of mind knowing they are holding pressure make it worth the cost.
If you are looking for someone to work on your rig, stay in your rig, feel safe on there property while its happing you'd be hard pressed.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:50 AM   #2

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surron View Post
So as some of you figured out I had my landing jacks fixed. They had been dropping the front for some time, and I just simply raised the front back up every few days.
I took the problem to Les in Mt.Vernon WA. From there he and his helper reworked them using upgraded seals, parts, and a retaining ring to stop the steel sleeve from wearing a hole in the metal return line, replace 2 bad hoses, and tighten all fittings. This work took 4 days. The first day the truck was connected to the trailer, then he used blocks and jacks to raise trailer and I was free to use truck to explore the country side. That made the difference during my stay not feeling trapped.
Needless to say, the jacks work now. Its not a cheep fix but part of this is custom and you pay for that, the piece of mind knowing they are holding pressure make it worth the cost.
If you are looking for someone to work on your rig, stay in your rig, feel safe on there property while its happing you'd be hard pressed.
Glad that you had a great experience with Les. He is a nice guy and knows his stuff. And I know my front landing gear is much better built then it came with from the factory.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:59 PM   #3

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
He is my best friend from High School. Les is a Machinist, Mechanic, Welder, Fabricator to name a few. He is very accomplished is all these trades.

We used my RV to come up with a way to keep the wear from getting so bad the fluid would start leaking from the return line as pictured. Les has a way to keep the wear from never happening again and another bonus is the mod makes the front jacks more stable.

Roberts instead of curing the wear problem would simply replace the hydraulic ram. Les uses TOP QUALITY seals not the junk that came from Lippert.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:33 AM   #4

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
He is my best friend from High School. Les is a Machinist, Mechanic, Welder, Fabricator to name a few. He is very accomplished is all these trades.

We used my RV to come up with a way to keep the wear from getting so bad the fluid would start leaking from the return line as pictured. Les has a way to keep the wear from never happening again and another bonus is the mod makes the front jacks more stable.

Roberts instead of curing the wear problem would simply replace the hydraulic ram. Les uses TOP QUALITY seals not the junk that came from Lippert.

Many thanks for being the Guinea pig. 😀
Old 09-20-2020, 10:47 AM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Bleeding jacks?

I'm replacing one hydraulic line on the left frt jack, I got it off and ready to reinstall, never bled jacks before, do you just run them ups nd down a couple times or ?
Old 09-20-2020, 07:52 PM   #6

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
I'm replacing one hydraulic line on the left frt jack, I got it off and ready to reinstall, never bled jacks before, do you just run them ups nd down a couple times or ?
Yes, it will purge the air out of the system.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Yes, it will purge the air out of the system.
Thank you, That's what I was thinking but wanted to be sure before I screwed it up.