Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2017, 07:19 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
LARGE rear window MCD shade

We have had two issues with our rear window LARGE shade. The night shade lost all tention and would roll all the way out. The first time DRV sent us a new assembly as the rig was only 6 months old. Then 7 months latter, it was bad again. DRV said that we were out of warranty so we would need to correct the problem. MCD said that I needed to buy a larger internal spring assembly and add more mounting points. DRV installed it with 3 mounting points. MCD said to add two more, as the assembly would flex less making it more solid also. Below are pictures of the two different mounting clips and of them mounted. I added two clips.

Hope this hold up.......

Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #2

Model: 41RSSB4
THOR #5859
From my experience with my old Lifestyle: the spring can be replaced without replacing to whole unit. Very easy job to change. With the new one, adjust the spring so that it is only as tight as it needs to be to do the job. Over tightening the spring puts more strain on the workings.
2011 F350 Dually 6.7 PSD
Fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #3

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50 View Post
From my experience with my old Lifestyle: the spring can be replaced without replacing to whole unit. Very easy job to change. With the new one, adjust the spring so that it is only as tight as it needs to be to do the job. Over tightening the spring puts more strain on the workings.
That is what I did on the 2nd fix. I think the stronger spring was about $50 shipped. And yes replacing it was not hard.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #3109
MCD shades

What is the MCD warranty? Wouldn't they cover this spring replacement?

Just got a '15 with these shades, might have a similar problem and wondering how MCD handles them.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 03-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #5

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
That is what I did on the 2nd fix. I think the stronger spring was about $50 shipped. And yes replacing it was not hard.
Just love it, DRV tells you to pound sand one month out of warranty on something they replaced at 6 mo.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:48 PM   #6

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
What is the MCD warranty? Wouldn't they cover this spring replacement?

Just got a '15 with these shades, might have a similar problem and wondering how MCD handles them.

Thanks,
Joe
I would have to look in the manual, but I would guess it is a one year warranty. They were very knowledgeable about why was needed and even stated that I needed more clips to hold that HUGE shade up.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:49 PM   #7

THOR #1658
K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Just love it, DRV tells you to pound sand one month out of warranty on something they replaced at 6 mo.
Yup. But it is on MCD not DRV.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:35 AM   #8

THOR #3109
But it would seem that there is a choice on spring size/strength? And that the large shade needs more mounting points? Who figures this out? Do you think MCD sends them out with a weak spring and recommends insufficient number of mounts? What is the matter with a vendor demanding that the shades have the right spring/mounts for them to warranty it at all?
This RV business is all about cutting corners at the customers' expense...
Old 03-02-2017, 06:29 AM   #9

THOR #1658
Quote:
But it would seem that there is a choice on spring size/strength? And that the large shade needs more mounting points? Who figures this out? Do you think MCD sends them out with a weak spring and recommends insufficient number of mounts? What is the matter with a vendor demanding that the shades have the right spring/mounts for them to warranty it at all?
This RV business is all about cutting corners at the customers' expense...
The spring that I received was the next lager spring, which is there largest. The tech that I spoke to, Bill, said that I should add more mounting points. As there were only 3 holding the shade up. Now there are 5 mounting points. Only time will tell on how long it holds up.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #10

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
The spring that I received was the next lager spring, which is there largest. The tech that I spoke to, Bill, said that I should add more mounting points. As there were only 3 holding the shade up. Now there are 5 mounting points. Only time will tell on how long it holds up.
Why was the larger spring NOT installed in the first place?
Old 03-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #11

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
I'm going to take a wild guess, no common sense involved, and say the manufacture, NOT DRV, did not think it was required. Unless you can convince me that drv controls the engineering and manufacturing process for their suppliers. All in an effort to cheapen things up of course.

Bill
Old 03-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #12

THOR #3109
"All in an effort to cheapen things up of course.
All too true. MCD seems to be the upgrade of choice in window shades; the DRV rear window is probably as large as one can get; ergo--the shade ought to have the larger spring, wouldn't you think? And if 5 mounting are needed, dadgumit, whose fault is that?
Now I have to go look at mine to see how many there are--
Old 03-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #13

THOR #1658
Quote:
"All in an effort to cheapen things up of course.
All too true. MCD seems to be the upgrade of choice in window shades; the DRV rear window is probably as large as one can get; ergo--the shade ought to have the larger spring, wouldn't you think? And if 5 mounting are needed, dadgumit, whose fault is that?
Now I have to go look at mine to see how many there are--
If you are close to me I have a couple of extra mounts.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:36 PM   #14

THOR #3109
Thanks for the offer, but I'm in DFW area. Checked for mounts, have only the three. Doesn't look like a fun job putting 2 more up there and getting them lined up.
Joe
Old 03-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #15

THOR #1661
Kinds like the toilet valve PDF showing two mounting screws but only one is installed. Not sure if that is a DRV thing or not.

Actually a better one is DRV using 1/2" long pointer fine thread screws to hold cabinet doors on!
Old 03-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #16

Model: 39DBRS3
State: Arizona
THOR #5464
I don't get how a question about roll up shades turns into a complaint about the screws used on cabinet hinges.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #17

THOR #3109
That's because there hasn't been a thread lately about cabinet screws...have to take what you can get.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #18

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
That's because you don't know cummins yet. He can turn a conversation about the weather into a complaintfest against DRV in 5 seconds or less. Usually after he gets started on a rant the thread will dry up quickly. Some of us don't mind pulling his chain though. Such as "all in an effort to cheapen things up"

Bill
Old 03-06-2017, 01:15 AM   #19

Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
That's because you don't know cummins yet. He can turn a conversation about the weather into a complaintfest against DRV in 5 seconds or less. Usually after he gets started on a rant the thread will dry up quickly. Some of us don't mind pulling his chain though. Such as "all in an effort to cheapen things up"

Bill
I could say a LOT but will just agree with you Bill, I will say my ignore list only has one person on it however... 😀
Old 03-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #20

THOR #1661
I know not one of you have EVER commented on a thread in a way that relates to the subject as in the comment above about missing clips.

PLEASE put me on your block list if I offend you, but I can say with all honesty I won't and never will block anyone.

Don't like what I say go to the next comment.

BTW my comment about the short screws was meant to be informative as newer DRV owners may not know about this.

Tags
mcd, rear, shade, window