Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2019, 09:52 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Exclamation Hydraulic solenoid connections

This post is attended for DRV owners.
When rebuilding my front jacks, we noticed that the lower jam nuts were loose, all 4 of them on the solenoid. This could cause a higher draw of voltage and may even damage the solenoid over time. Even though the upper jam nut was snug, I could grab a connector and move it side to side. More then likely, the lower jam nut is loose. If you need to tighten the lower jam nut, make sure that you disconnect the battery, as you would not want to cause an arc. Deal with one connection at a time, so that you do not mix up what needs to be connected. My hydraulic motor connection was good on both sides, but you should check that also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97A938DF-0261-45C7-BFBE-840BF62AAA22.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	21554  

Old 11-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #2

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
We discovered the same on mine when Les (hydraulic ram rebuilder) and I were working on my DRV.

Wondering if this could have caused an issue with my pump motor as my pump or motor are struggeling.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:19 AM   #3

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
It could not effect the voltage, but a loose connection could cause an increase in amperage and intermittent or inconsistent running of the motor and could effect the longevity of it.

I don't understand how the top nut could be tight if the bottom one is loose. What would the top nut tighten against?

The first time I used my level up system the circuit breaker tripped out several times. I put an amprobe on it and discovered it was pulling more amps than the wire or circuit breaker were rated for. Went to the auto parts store and purchased 2 new battery wires in the correct size and 4 extra ends so that I could make a total of 3 new cables. One from the battery to solenoid, one to the forward direction post, and one to the reverse direction post. Never a problem since. By circuit breaker I am referring to the 12 volt one in line between solenoid and battery.

Good luck on your repairs.

Bill
Old 11-23-2019, 01:36 AM   #4

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
It could not effect the voltage, but a loose connection could cause an increase in amperage and intermittent or inconsistent running of the motor and could effect the longevity of it.

I don't understand how the top nut could be tight if the bottom one is loose. What would the top nut tighten against?

The first time I used my level up system the circuit breaker tripped out several times. I put an amprobe on it and discovered it was pulling more amps than the wire or circuit breaker were rated for. Went to the auto parts store and purchased 2 new battery wires in the correct size and 4 extra ends so that I could make a total of 3 new cables. One from the battery to solenoid, one to the forward direction post, and one to the reverse direction post. Never a problem since. By circuit breaker I am referring to the 12 volt one in line between solenoid and battery.

Good luck on your repairs.

Bill
Bill, you are correct. It would draw higher amps, but for some reason the admins will not allow you to edit the first post.

Tags
connection, hydraulic, loose, solenoid