Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2018, 10:54 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #5803
Leaking 8K Side Levelers Replaced

I just had the left center & rear 8K Lippert levelers replaced on my Mobile Suites. Lippert replaced them under warranty and did not ask for the leaking units to be returned. So, I still have them.

I would like to know if it is worth it to get the leaking units repaired, If it is worth it, will the repaired units be reliable? Where is a place to take the leaking units to be repaired that can be trusted to do a quality job for a reasonable price?

Old 07-29-2018, 12:13 AM   #2

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Have you priced the levelers on the LCI website? That would give you an idea how much to put into a repair.
Just about any hydraulic shop should be able to repair the leveler, perhaps better than it was OEM built.
Seems to me the first I have heard of side levelers leaking...
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:44 AM   #3

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
https://store.lci1.com/8k-aluminum-j...mounting-holes
Definitely not cheap.
Curious of the nature of the leaks? Internal or externally leaking down the rams?
I'm also not aware of a frequent incidence of rear jack issues.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:05 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #5803
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrek View Post
https://store.lci1.com/8k-aluminum-j...mounting-holes
Definitely not cheap.
Curious of the nature of the leaks? Internal or externally leaking down the rams?
I'm also not aware of a frequent incidence of rear jack issues.
The 2 leaking 8K struts cost $937 (parts/tax/shipping) and $240 labor to replace. The repair is complete and is apparently quite successful. Lippert asked for photos of the leaking struts which I provided. Because they had the photos, they did not ask that the defective struts be returned. Lippert has fully paid parts/labor.

Its hard to say where the leaks were as I did not disassemble the struts. The hydraulic oil apparently seeped down the ram and collected at the base of the black foot pad which I had resting on a 16" piece of pressure treated 2" x 12".

I just want to know if its worth it to have the struts repaired. They are large & heavy & would occupy significant storage space not to mention weight. But, the parts cost was $937. So, what do you think, is it worth it? What would a fair repair price be?
Old 07-30-2018, 05:53 AM   #5

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Glade to hear you've had good results.
Thanks for the info. Answered my question about the external oil leak. Which could simply be a seal (minor part cost). Or some type of damage to the ram / piston surface, higher part replacement cost). Only an estimate from a repair shop would allow you to quantify the merit. You might call the Roberts RV (who does many of the front units) his opinion. Those 8K cylinders are on allot of different towables, besides DRV's. Perhaps there is a core value?

I'm with you, I wouldn't care to lug them around either.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:29 PM   #6

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
NOT difficult to rebuild. I guarantee the rebuilder would use MUCH higher quality parts!