Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2017, 03:33 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Level up Problems

Hello, *We're having a Level-up problem and I'm stumped. *We arrived in Santa Fe this afternoon, set up and went for a spin into town. *After getting back to the trailer we noticed a "popping" sound coming from the landing gear. After a few hours the front legs were drifting down ever so slightly. *I had a problem last summer with the front legs dong the same thing and called Lippert tech support about it, *I was told to check the fluid level," if the level is at half or less you probably need to add fluid and most likely introduced air into the system". After bringing everything in and up I added fluid to the tank and ran the slides in and out as well as the jacks up and down. *That took care of it. * **

So this evening I thought I would do the same as the fluid level looked a bit low with the slides out and the Jacks down, I added a little fluid. *After running the legs up and the slides in all "seemed" well. *Now for the problem..... I was going to put the front legs down and pull the truck out from under the trailer and re-level BUT the front legs wouldn't budge, I can raise the rears but nothing happens with the fronts. *The pump makes a weird sound when I try the front legs. *I can't lower the front legs OR retract them. *I don't see any obvious leaks.

We're stuck now because the truck is under the trailer and I don't dare pull out from under it. *....So does anybody on here know of a decent mobile tech I can call here in Santa Fe to look at this situation? *Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, *Dan

Old 04-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
I check my fluid when the jacks are up, as the system uses the fluid to extend the jacks. you may have to much fluid in the system. start there. my 2 cents,,good luck as it is never fun to have a problem.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #3

THOR #3221
Update, some how I knocked one of the two leads to the front jack solenoid off and that's why I had no response to my front jacks. I reconnected the wire and viola the jacks go up and down!

I called Roberts Quality RV Repair yesterday morning and Bob was kind enough to give me some tips on how to get the jacks up manually and how to keep them up. He told me to keep a close eye on the landing gear while traveling, after describing my situation he said my seals in my front jacks are next to shot and that it's just a matter of time before I'd have to either have them rebuilt OR replaced.

I have an appointment to see Roberts in May, that should end this grief once and for all.

Dan
Old 04-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
Great to hear you got things worked out.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #5

Model: 36RSSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #2116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
...He told me to keep a close eye on the landing gear while traveling...
Dan
What were the tips? Thanks! David
davydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #6

THOR #3221
One of the tips Bob gave me was how to raise the front jacks up. Bob told me I’d have to identify the solenoid that controls the front jacks, open a small relief valve on the solenoid then use something to pry or force the jacks up one at a time. Block the first side and do the same with the other side, closing the small relief valve once the jacks are up. Then use some stout wire to wire them up so they stay up. From this point on Bob STRONGLY suggested that the truck stay under the RV until we get to a repair facility or his and place where the RV can be safely dropped. Bob told me when we get to where we’ll stay for the night to use blocking under both front jacks BEFORE putting the living room and kitchen slide out, without blocking the front jacks will come down wire or no wire.

Bob said sometimes the seals can be re-seated if they’re not too bad and that they will hold the front up, he said to run the front jacks down so they just touch the ground but DON”T put any pressure on them, run them all the way back up and repeat again. “Hopefully” Bob said that will temporarily re-seat the seals, Bob suggested having some blocking handy to place under the front near the jacks “just in case” that would prevent the RV from “nose diving”. This is IF the front jacks are operable!

This whole process can be a big PITA according to Bob but those are the options until we can get to some place that has the ability to replace/repair those jacks. So for now our jacks do work and yesterday they held all day and so far they’re holding today (4/9) too. I’m going to pick up blocking at a Home Depot or Lowes today “just in case” we need it. Once we get back home the truck will stay under the RV until some time in May when we will be seeing Bob’s Quality RV Repair and have these jacks rebuilt.

Bob said he has worked on so many DRVs it’s not funny, all with failing front jacks. His opinion is that Lippert/DRV is using rams that have flimsy seals in them and that DRVs are notoriously nose heavy and should be using something a bit more stout.

I’ll be glad when all of this is behind us!

Dan
Old 04-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #7
R12

Model: 2021 38RSSA
THOR #1922
I had Roberts Quality RV replace the seals in my front jacks. One jack had to be replaced because the cylinder was scored. The jacks worked for a year and then I had a problem lifting the camper. Robert believed that the pump may be bad but wasn't sure so I took the camper to Lippert in Goshen, IN. If the jacks you have use a metal pipe to protect the legs you may be able to have Lippert replace them for nada. Let me know what the front legs are.
R12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:06 PM   #8

THOR #3221
R12, we have a 2015 MS 38RSSA and we have the "wrapped" front jacks, that is to say we have the steel tubes concealing the rams. That would be good news if Lippert were to step up and cover the front jacks.

Let me know if you have any info to help me with contacting Lippert.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 04-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #9

State: South Dakota
THOR #2116
Thanks for passing along the hints you were given! David
davydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:15 AM   #10

THOR #3221
No problem David, hopefully you won't need any of this info for yourself.

BTW, I put in a call for Roberts RV Repair this morning but didn't get a call back today.

Dan
Old 04-12-2017, 11:29 PM   #11

State: West Virginia
THOR #4763
Having same issue on my 2016 36RSSB3... I'm hooked to the truck for fear the front jacks will collapse, (actually did once). We're wintering in TX and I had a ram replaced in off door slide, it kept drifting out, THEN, issue with front jacks leaking off... new front jack on curb side... unit acts like its posed. Afraid to drive it, curb side front jack as well as two back ones just start drifting down also... I took to DeMontrond RV in Conroe TX, Thor warranty.. they put two new Rams in and lits STILL screwed up... I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what to do.. fluid level is good.. RV center had my unit for TWO WEEKS!!! No fix!?!, though replacing components.. talked to Greg Weldon at DRV, very nice, but WHERE do I go to get it fixed?!

Jim
Old 04-13-2017, 12:43 AM   #12

THOR #3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Hauler View Post
Having same issue on my 2016 36RSSB3... I'm hooked to the truck for fear the front jacks will collapse, (actually did once). We're wintering in TX and I had a ram replaced in off door slide, it kept drifting out, THEN, issue with front jacks leaking off... new front jack on curb side... unit acts like its posed. Afraid to drive it, curb side front jack as well as two back ones just start drifting down also... I took to DeMontrond RV in Conroe TX, Thor warranty.. they put two new Rams in and lits STILL screwed up... I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what to do.. fluid level is good.. RV center had my unit for TWO WEEKS!!! No fix!?!, though replacing components.. talked to Greg Weldon at DRV, very nice, but WHERE do I go to get it fixed?!

Jim
Wow and I thought I had problems! Yikes When I talked to Bob from Roberts Repair he said to stop the drifting during transit to wire the jacks up BUT when running the kitchen and living room slides out to make sure there is support under each front jack as the pressure from the rams in the slide outs WILL force the front jacks to the ground no matter how tough the wire you use is.

I guess you'd be better off contacting Lippert in Indiana and try and get your unit to them.

As far as all those problems go, I can honestly say I feel your pain! All this crap with these leveling rams REALLY takes the enjoyment out of RVing!

Dan
Old 04-13-2017, 02:21 AM   #13

THOR #4763
Thanks Dan, was hoping I wouldn't have to drive 1200 miles in this condition just to fix something on a unit that is only 9 months old... and this started a couple months ago...
Old 04-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #14

THOR #3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Hauler View Post
Thanks Dan, was hoping I wouldn't have to drive 1200 miles in this condition just to fix something on a unit that is only 9 months old... and this started a couple months ago...
Yeah, I know what you mean, after talking to Bob and him saying the truck has to stay under the trailer you start thinking about the hassles that entails. Trying to find a "level" site at a CG or overnighting at a truck stop until you can get it safely to a shop location. Definately sucks......

Dan
Old 04-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #15

Model: Dallas
THOR #2170
I have an appointment set up at Roberts in May as well. He's quite booked and expect at least a month out if you need service. He comes highly recommended. Supposedly the jacks lippert has sent out to some are the same poorly engineered jacks as originally installed! DRV and Lippert basically said "sorry" but your coach is a 2014. I have to wonder if the original DRV would have responded that way. Sounds like there should be a recall. I can't imagine the damage that could be done if the jacks extended while going 65 on the interstate. Maybe that's what required to get a recall. Roberts was charging about 1200 for the re-machining. Maybe a class-action would get some attention. I will be stopping in Shipshewana for some new furniture.........maybe a tour with a few questions regarding the jacks at the factory is in order.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:32 AM   #16

Model: 36rssb
THOR #3288
classic, Im going to tour 5-10 as my 36 comes off line that day.Toured last year,but will be nice seeing our coach.Im thinking inside will be mostly done at that point and will go out to paint.Hope they have some better landing gear now.Like you, we live in Wisconsin so not to far.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:37 AM   #17

THOR #2170
We full time and will be stopping in Indiana on our way North. Where about in Wisconsin are you guys?
Old 04-14-2017, 04:42 AM   #18

Model: 36rssb
THOR #3288
s.e. Wisconsin.Just north of Oconomowoc.Will not full time,but extended trips.Poured a 18 x 50 slab for it today.Car port next month.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #19

THOR #4763
Spoke with Ron Weldon from DRV. Will stop in Seveirville TN at Ricks RV repair.. Greg knows him and Rick will work with Ron thru DRV to order any parts needed, and only use Lippert for tech support, if needed. Ricks RV Repair is highly respected and they' worked on my Holliday Rambler several times and they impress me sith their Techs. Lord willing they can fix my issues. Will try to be there in about 3 weeks.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:37 PM   #20

THOR #2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
s.e. Wisconsin.Just north of Oconomowoc.Will not full time,but extended trips.Poured a 18 x 50 slab for it today.Car port next month.
We summer at Riverbend Resort just west of Watertown........own a site there for 4 or 5 years now. We are originally from the Milwaukee area.