Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2016, 02:28 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RSSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1678
Microwave/Convection Oven

Came in tonight to an electrical burn smell. Quickly determined that the microwave was not working. Appears something inside is fried. I have a couple of questions. Does anyone know how to remove the oven. It's a GE Profile. Our RV is a 2008 Mobile Suite 36RSB3. Also If I have to replace it any suggestions on what to use. My Wife uses the convection over a lot so I would like to fine one that is similar to what we have and will fit in the same space.
Thanks
Dave

2008 36RSS3B #4570
2005 Freightliner M2-106 Sport
Eagle Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #2

Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #88
Dave, I would take measurements of your current oven and I bet you could find something that would match up at Home Depot or Lowes or any appliance store. I would think it would be a pretty standard size.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:13 AM   #3

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11 View Post
Dave, I would take measurements of your current oven and I bet you could find something that would match up at Home Depot or Lowes or any appliance store. I would think it would be a pretty standard size.
I agree. As far as the removal, should be just unplug and pull the two bolts/screws in the bottom of the cabnet above the unit. Make sure that you have it supported as it should tilt down and come out.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #4

Model: Dallas
State: Wisconsin
THOR #2170
Had a problem with my oven. I suspect my wife preheated too long and blew a thermal fuse. 14 bucks from partselect.com. If you have a little handyman skill you can do it yourself. The one I blew (there are 4 or 5) was left side, half-way back on the top. The wire connecting might have caused the smell and be burned,,,mine showed heating. The tuff part was getting the oven out. DRV told me to remove the trim above the oven but being a woodworker putzer I knew it wouldn't go back looking the same. So I cut access panels in the thin paneling in the adjoining cabinets. There are 2 bolts and a bracket holding in the oven. The bolts are near the front so cut the panels near the front. Reach in 5 ish inches. The oven is hinged on the bracket screwed against the back wall.You need someone holding the oven as you unscrew the bolts (use a small socket). I located the schematic under the control panel...a strange place for paper in an oven! I have a 14 Dallas.......not all cabinets are the same in different models. Holler back if my instructions aren't clear. If it turns out not to be your problem at least you can get the unit out. You also could look for the mounting instructions if someone stuck them in your pile of info from DRV. It shows the placement for the 2 bolts.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:40 AM   #5

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by classichammond View Post
Had a problem with my oven. I suspect my wife preheated too long and blew a thermal fuse. 14 bucks from partselect.com. If you have a little handyman skill you can do it yourself. The one I blew (there are 4 or 5) was left side, half-way back on the top. The wire connecting might have caused the smell and be burned,,,mine showed heating. The tuff part was getting the oven out. DRV told me to remove the trim above the oven but being a woodworker putzer I knew it wouldn't go back looking the same. So I cut access panels in the thin paneling in the adjoining cabinets. There are 2 bolts and a bracket holding in the oven. The bolts are near the front so cut the panels near the front. Reach in 5 ish inches. The oven is hinged on the bracket screwed against the back wall.You need someone holding the oven as you unscrew the bolts (use a small socket). I located the schematic under the control panel...a strange place for paper in an oven! I have a 14 Dallas.......not all cabinets are the same in different models. Holler back if my instructions aren't clear. If it turns out not to be your problem at least you can get the unit out. You also could look for the mounting instructions if someone stuck them in your pile of info from DRV. It shows the placement for the 2 bolts.
Not sure how preheating to long would blow a fuse. I think it is timed to heat up in 4-5 minutes. But cooking really should not be any difference the preheating. Some fuses just go when they go. Maybe the bumpy roads are ver time made it go early.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #6

THOR #2170
It's a thermal fuse and blows when the temp gets too high. It's one of several fuses inline with the AC connection. Shows on the schematic as fuse. It was open and bouncing down the road wouldn't affect it. We were preheating to 425 when it opened (blew). The unit went completely dead, no power, no readout. There was indication of heating on the wire and connector at the fuse. GE tech says the wire occasionally burns off....this could account for the odor. 14 bucks and it's worked for the last 6 months. According to GE this is not rare.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:06 AM   #7

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by classichammond View Post
It's a thermal fuse and blows when the temp gets too high. It's one of several fuses inline with the AC connection. Shows on the schematic as fuse. It was open and bouncing down the road wouldn't affect it. We were preheating to 425 when it opened (blew). The unit went completely dead, no power, no readout. There was indication of heating on the wire and connector at the fuse. GE tech says the wire occasionally burns off....this could account for the odor. 14 bucks and it's worked for the last 6 months. According to GE this is not rare.
Good to know as I preheat to 425 to cook veggies.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #8

THOR #2170
Now we are careful.....don't preheat as high or long. (I think we were having cocktails on the veranda!)
Old 07-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
We found out that using it as a convection oven you need to use that little metal rack that comes with the unit (to get the food closer to the heating element on the top). Worked a lot better making breakfast biscuits.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:48 PM   #10

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #3770
High Pointe Microwave Convection

The manual that came with it was kinda skimpy. I found a manual on the R-Pod user group for a counter top unit, but equivalent to built in, which was much more detailed.

The wife is ready to bake a cake. It's gonna be interesting.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:34 PM   #11
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Leslie View Post
The manual that came with it was kinda skimpy. I found a manual on the R-Pod user group for a counter top unit, but equivalent to built in, which was much more detailed.

The wife is ready to bake a cake. It's gonna be interesting.
Could you possibly share a link for the manual ?

Thanks,
Kev
Old 10-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #12

THOR #2170
The Wife has baked cookies, cakes, chickens, pies etc. Makes a good pizza too. She's been happy......we full time.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #3770
Microwave File

This is the one that is for the High Pointe Model EC028BMR, although it shows the counter top model.MicroConvct.pdf
Old 04-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Grill?

Has anyone tried using this function? What did you grill and how did it come out? We're trying to decide if we really need to give up limited basement space for a propane grill or if this function in the High Pointe will do the job?