Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2018, 11:11 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #11383
Electrical Point to Point wiring opportunity.

50 years ago I worked for a company that had the Slogan "Not Problems but OPPORTUNITIES.

But after just so many of these Opportunities my body is starting to ache.

Third opportunity of yesterday was the Bathroom electrical GFI outlet failing.
I have 5 GFI outlets on one GFI Breaker.

The Bathroon outlet is on a end run and connections looked OK.

Two outlets on the Kitchen Island. Both work and the rear outlet is an end run.
The outlet in the Basement works and two has romex cable. Connections was iffy so I punched again but didn't fix the problem

NOW the question but the aches and pains scare me for solution. The fifth GFI oulet is the outside outlet and I donot feel motivated to remove the cover until I get some chalk. BUT feeling around on the back side I'm sure there is 3 romex cables going into that box, Having been into two of these boxes I can't imagine (I can guess) the wire riding over 21,000 miles before connection failure. I had opened the Breaker cover and only one wire per terminal.

My solution is ohm out line to the Kitchen Island and install an addition GFI Breaker. ( I have had on on my list of someday modifications) The non-GFI breakers are Square D by Schneider Electric, are these common or special order??. Also it appears the receptacle is more special being its own wiring box.

Clay 2016 MS 38PS3 #8120

Yes I did say third Opportunity. First the Vanity Slide Seal mentioned, the second was a decorative valence (Cloth type) falling on the table in Arkansas. (Rough Roads) Problem was three screws held the 4 foot valence. One screw was in solid wood, two screws in only the thin paneling (unless there is a floating block some where) Two screws were replaced with 2 inch bolts.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:02 AM   #2

Model: 41RSSB4
State: South Dakota
THOR #5859
Square D is very common. You can find them at Lowes, Homedepot, Menards, etc.
2011 F350 Dually 6.7 PSD
Fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:55 AM   #3

THOR #11383
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS60ocb View Post
The fifth GFI oulet is the outside outlet and I donot feel motivated to remove the cover until I get some chalk. BUT feeling around on the back side I'm sure there is 3 romex cables going into that box,
I confirmed that there is 3 Romex going to one receptacle and definitely inadequate for each terminal to hold 3 wires.One terminal showed evident of a loose connect. Once I get the materials I will split the circuit to restore Bathroom receptables for the DW
Clay
Old 12-04-2018, 05:39 AM   #4

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Makes me wonder now if I also might have a connection issue. As when I use my water pick using the bathroom plug, it disturbs the tv signal when watching. I would think that it would be on a different circuit, but who knows. As the kitchen slide, EVERY plug is on one 15 am circuit. But there is one 20 amp plug in the entertainment center for the fireplace heater.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:10 AM   #5

THOR #11383
I got my job done today. Lowes didn't have the 20 amp GFI in stock but Home Depot had about 10 of what I needed.

I was concerned that I may have to bum some Romex but as we all know DRV has lots of extra wire. In the end, the longest piece cut off was about 30 inches.
My body has lots of aches and pains from getting in awkward positions and stretching. Not much working space between the Black tank and the DS wall.

rynosback My MS 38PS3/Dallas was built in Oct 2015, Good Luck

Clay