Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 03:04 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: Memphis
State: South Dakota
THOR #2341
2017 drv

We have bought a 2017 DRV 44' Mobile Suite and now I have some questions about the build and operation of it. These are questions that the dealer rep couldn't or didn't want to answer and that's OK. For the price paid as an end of year close out, I figure there are others that are knowledgeable about them and willing to share.
For starters, no we didn't buy from RR, or RV4less.... Probably should have, but the unit is fully optioned to DRV standards for a stupid to walk away from price.
So, on our current SOB 5th wheel, if we have low park water pressure, we can supplement pressure and volume from our onboard tank.
-Can this be done on a Mobile Suite?

-What is the best way to avoid Anderson valve issues- We currently run 2 filters and a water softener before the water enters our 5th wheel. Should this continue to suffice?

-Water pressure tank? Didn't see where there is one in the Mobile Suite basement? Currently have a 2-gallon tank that keeps the water pump from cycling during the boondocking nights when the toilet gets flushed, etc. Smooths out the pump cycling when someone takes a shower and someone else washes their hands.

-How to identify land gear size? I need to determine if they are the "New" legs or the old. Any easy way to identify? Anti Stiction Fluid needed?

-Where are people storing sewer lines? Currently, have fence post hanging under our rig to store hoses in. Which brings me to the next question-

-Has anyone done a macerator dump set up? Brand and how do you store the hose?

-DRV factory shower head- decent or keep our Oxygenic shower head?

-MorRyde step above steps- Does anyone have them on a DRV? Any issues with them and the door sill etc?

-Conduit to pinbox from the front storage area- Is there an easy passage way for extra wiring to be passed thru? Camera wiring, Generator remote start, Heavier cable for battery bank charging until solar is installed.

One more item, I joined the Suites owners forum.... How long does it take until one can post over there? Because yea, the paint work needs help....

Old 07-22-2017, 04:32 AM   #2

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
We have bought a 2017 DRV 44' Mobile Suite and now I have some questions about the build and operation of it. These are questions that the dealer rep couldn't or didn't want to answer and that's OK. For the price paid as an end of year close out, I figure there are others that are knowledgeable about them and willing to share.
For starters, no we didn't buy from RR, or RV4less.... Probably should have, but the unit is fully optioned to DRV standards for a stupid to walk away from price.
So, on our current SOB 5th wheel, if we have low park water pressure, we can supplement pressure and volume from our onboard tank.

No, your best option would be to fill you fresh water tank on board and then use the pump for your inside water.

-What is the best way to avoid Anderson valve issues- We currently run 2 filters and a water softener before the water enters our 5th wheel. Should this continue to suffice?

Do you mean the Can't Leak valve?

-Water pressure tank? Didn't see where there is one in the Mobile Suite basement? Currently have a 2-gallon tank that keeps the water pump from cycling during the boondocking nights when the toilet gets flushed, etc. Smooths out the pump cycling when someone takes a shower and someone else washes their hands.

Not sure what you mean by a water pressure tank?

-How to identify land gear size? I need to determine if they are the "New" legs or the old. Any easy way to identify? Anti Stiction Fluid needed?

Post a pic of what you have and we can tell you. Some people have added it as they had poping sounds. I have not had to so far.

-Where are people storing sewer lines? Currently, have fence post hanging under our rig to store hoses in. Which brings me to the next question-

I store mine in the RR small locker, but everyone puts thing in different places that they prefer.

I still have mine, but owners preference again.

-MorRyde step above steps- Does anyone have them on a DRV? Any issues with them and the door sill etc?

I think they have only been out for a year or less now. The seem really well built and solid.

-Conduit to pinbox from the front storage area- Is there an easy passage way for extra wiring to be passed thru? Camera wiring, Generator remote start, Heavier cable for battery bank charging until solar is installed.

One more item, I joined the Suites owners forum.... How long does it take until one can post over there? Because yea, the paint work needs help....
Not sure, that site is DEAD. This is a better site for information in my opinion.
If it is minor paint work, DRV may allow it to be done anywhere. But you would need to get an estimate and forward it to DRV. If it is $$$$, then you will need to go back to a shop that DRV refers you to. We had several paint issues and went to Precision Painting. As they are one of the companies that does there paint work. We were VERY pleased with there work.

I answered what I could in red. Congratulations and welcome or the forum.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #3

THOR #2341
Thanks, Ryno,
By water pressure tank I mean an accumulator tank like what is used on well water systems. It helps maintain pressure for a longer time before the pump kicks on.

I have thoughts on installing a Whole House RO system and run off of the fresh tank exclusively. The water filter store and a competitor in Canada have decent small systems that will make 150-200 gallons a day. I just need to look thru the mess of wiring and plumbing that's behind the wall to see how easy it would be to install the float sensors in the fresh water tank.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #3109
So, you saved a ton of money buying a leftover DRV? That's much better than having to do the same 'fixes' on a current model.... Did it qualify for full first-owner warranty?

rynosback has answered the questions better than I can--but it sounds like you have been reading up about problems from other DRV owners and trying to head off some headaches?

Water pump/city supply--one or the other, but not both at same time.
Andersen valve--if you use your current setup on the DRV and still have a valve problem, you have done everything possible to head it off.
Water pressure tank--yes, you could use one IF you can find a place to install it. Minor fluctuations in pressure don't bother me.
New/old legs--only thing I think I know about this is--if the front 'legs' are covered by a steel cylinder and you can't see the actual ram, then you have the 'old' legs. Stiction fluid won't hurt if you use it arbitrarily according to instructions on Lippert website.
Sewer hose storage--I have a plastic container in the basement that holds hose and extension, plus fittings. Just make sure all is rinsed clean before storing. The underbelly storage post is a good idea also.
Macerator--have only used an add-on one (FloJet) and it worked while living in trailer during remodeling.
Shower head in our '15 works ok for us.
StepAbove--seem to work well, saw first complaint recently about not being able to close door with steps out due to interference from steps--opinions said legs weren't adjusted correctly.
Wiring additions--some current discussion on SOITC website about this very subject, and there are still some active contributors on it. I think you need to make sure your membership is registered and you should be able to post.
Paint job? Big deal lately with some new owners--and seems to be hard to get DRV to agree.
Wish you great times with the new giant...
Joe
Old 07-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #5

Model: 36 RSSB3
THOR #2152
I will comment on the macerator only and our experience. We bought one when we accepted a park host position that required us to pump our waste 75 feet away. We were there for 4 months and there is significant sludge build up in the tank when you empty the black tank so slowly. I can't imagine what it would be if you installed one permanently. It took us 2 weeks to get the sludge out and the smell to go away. The "whoosh" effect of the 3 inch sewer hose does a much better job of clearing the black tank.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #6

THOR #2341
Thanks for the replies! I have heard mention of the sludge build up, but having the gray and black tank sprayers I would hope eliminate that issue. Right now on a 35-gallon black we dump every7 days and haven't had any issues since the electric valves went away. I know that's another discussion as well... Drain master electric valves are well... I believe if the orientation of them is plumb- straight up/down then they work, as soon as you rotate them, they don't work to well....
As far as paint goes.... Any company that can paint a 35-40ft rv for $7-8k is not going to do an automotive quality job. When I was in the marine business, a single color hull side on a 35 foot go fast- Fountain-Cigarette-Donzi-etc, would be 10-12k with no boot strip. That's based on a 5' hullside. I painted- Team Painted several large yachts in the 60+ft range that ran into the $75k+ range. But the smaller go fast style boats do more automotive type colors and styling.
On a 5th wheel, say 40ft long,
-PPG paint would be in the $7-900 range for base coat and clear, reducers, etc.
-Labor is 75% of the cost. Prep time to paint is incredibly high, I would guess 40-60 man hours minimum at a rate of $75 an hour(? my old shop rate) And that for the guys sanding, cleaning and taping.
-Labor for the painter is 4 hours at something higher...
Then all the masking for all the strips and swooshes.... 20-30hrs
Shop materials- plastic-tape- etc $500- use the good tape-
So a full body paint job for $8-9k is CHEAP.... If you want a professional job, pay a professional price.
The contract painters that the RV industry uses are the MAACO's of the RV paint world...
Old 07-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #7

THOR #2341
Wing- I didn't answer one of your questions-
Yes, we have a full warranty as the RV has never been titled before.
Is there a way to break down the VIN to determine the build date? We may return to the selling dealer for warranty work, or I may just work with DRV directly. We travel north in the summer, south in the winter and can make the factory an annual stop, Morryde as well for a check up. It's sad to say that I expect some issues.... hope there all minor though!
Old 07-22-2017, 10:58 PM   #8

Model: 40KSSB4
State: California
THOR #5723
Quote:

I have not tried this, but I don't believe it is possible the way the Anderson valve is plumbed. If it were a big concern, I would call Anderson directly. They have very good customer service.

Slade at RR recommended releasing pressure in the system before changing the valve selector position. I think this, in combination with the filtering you are doing will help keep the internal o-rings that generally cause the valve issue in good working order.

DRV does not install an accumulator tank from the factory. It wouldn't be very difficult to add one though. I have thought about it, but so far have not done it. I can't hear the water pump running in my system unless I really listen for it, so it hasn't been as big of an annoyance as it was on our SOB trailer.

A new trailer will have the new style landing gear in the front. They should be a slightly larger diameter cylinder than the rear legs. So far I have had no popping issues with my gear, so I have had no need to add any of the CAT fluid.

I went with the Wastemaster sewer hose set up, which has an optional carrier that allows the hose to stay connected all the time, even when it is stowed. It is more expensive than other hose systems, but in my opinion the quality and convenience are worth it. I did buy a 20' extension hose just in case I need it (so far I have not). I plan to store it in a fence post or pipe secured under the trailer. It is the next project on my list.

I have no experience with macerator pumps so I cannot comment on this. We do have a macerator toilet in our rig, so we have no real solids coming out of the tanks when we dump and therefore I have no need for an additional macerator (unless I had to pump my waste over distance, which I don't).

The DRV shower head is much nicer than the one in our SOB trailer. We are happy with it. I have no experience with an Oxygenic head so I can't compare the two.

We don't have these. They look nice and appear super stable. My only concern with them is stopping and parking in a tight truck stop. It would be difficult or impossible to deploy them to get acces to the trailer with a big rig parked two feet away.

There is no conduit in place, but there are fairly decent gaps that should allow the ability to fish some wires with patience. Worst case, I would pull one of the existing wires back with a fish wire connected to it to allow you to pull the original and new wires back.

Are you referring to SOITC? If so it was fairly quick when I joined. I would also suggest the DRV Suite owners Facebook group, if you are on Facebook. It is the most active of all the DRV related media I have joined.

I'm glad you guys have your new rig. Is the old one completely gone? I can't remember if I shared my phone number with you at the WCR, but I am happy to talk DRV's any time. If I didn't give you my number, get ahold of me through one of the forums and I will. Good luck with the new DRV. I know you were already looking, but it's not always ideal when problems force your timeline up.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #9

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Is there a way to break down the VIN to determine the build date? We may return to the selling dealer for warranty work, or I may just work with DRV directly. We travel north in the summer, south in the winter and can make the factory an annual stop, Morryde as well for a check up. It's sad to say that I expect some issues.... hope there all minor though!
Warranty starts day of possession.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:41 AM   #10

Model: 36rssb
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3288
Quote:
I just picked up a 36 and the build date is on the rig.its the month build started,not ended.