Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Tennessee
THOR #1668
I notice one drawback. Using the RV plug only provides 30 Amps max. I'm re-thinking.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #22

Model: Dallas
State: Texas
THOR #3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeShark View Post
I would be interested if you can run both Hondas and have the trailer accept more than 13 amps. On my 2015 MS the transfer switch will accept only one generator and will cut out the power of the second one. I called Surgeguard and they verified that the parallel hook up will not work with their Transfer switch. How did you do it?
We have the front 50 amp plug plus the built in Surge Guard surge protector and the Precision Circuits Inc power control system. With all this we were having problem getting power from the two Honda 2000 watt generators into the coach. The fix was recommended by the power control company to Greg Weldon at DRV and passed on to me. "The Power Management will not let the power into your unit because of a open ground. To correct this problem; use a new 15amp male three prong plug in - install a wire from the ground prong (top prong and green screw) to the neutral prong (silver screw). DO NOT USE the Hot or Power prong (bronze or copper). Plug the male plugin into one of the 15 amps female receptacle on either generator. This will fix your problem". That is a quote from the note I got from Greg and it worked with no issues. We have used the generators on the 50amp plug on the front of the RV and the main power cord at the rear. We can only use one AC unit and two TV's and Refrigerator without over loading the generators.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #23

Model: 36RSSB3
THOR #88
Quote:
"The Power Management will not let the power into your unit because of a open ground. To correct this problem; use a new 15amp male three prong plug in - install a wire from the ground prong (top prong and green screw) to the neutral prong (silver screw). DO NOT USE the Hot or Power prong (bronze or copper). Plug the male plugin into one of the 15 amps female receptacle on either generator. This will fix your problem".
This is what I had to do with our generator to get it to pass power to the trailer. Works great.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tneagle View Post
I notice one drawback. Using the RV plug only provides 30 Amps max. I'm re-thinking.
Do you have 30-Amp or 50-Amp service (I'm guessing 50-Amps).

If you have 30-Amp, you'd be limited to 30 Amps anyway. And if you have 50-Amp service, which I presume is the case, do you have a way to connect more than 30-Amps (total effective) without going to 240-Volts? I think you said you didn't need 240-Volts.

Looking at the Honda 7,000/5,500 generator, it has 240-Volt capability, but is limited to 30-Amp 120/240-Volt plug. It's only a guess on my part, but your loads would have to be split fairly even between the two legs/phases in order to get to the maximum generator capacity.

Others who have used 240-Volt generators may be able to share how it's worked out for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1935  
Old 05-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #25

THOR #1668
I have a 50 amp service. I also have the adapter cord to use on 30 amp receptacles.

I would only run 1 AC when boon docking.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:18 PM   #26

THOR #2121
Quote:
I have a 50 amp service. I also have the adapter cord to use on 30 amp receptacles.

I would only run 1 AC when boon docking.
So you are limited to 3,600 watts continuous unless you go with a 240-Volt generator? Other than using excess generator power for outdoor use which may come in handy someday.

The plus side to having more generator capacity than you can use on steady basis is that it would allow for air conditioner to start while running other high-load items.

For example, my 4,000 watt Onan didn't start my AC very well if we were already running the microwave or a hair dryer. In a case like that it would be nice to have a little extra generator capacity even if limited to 30-Amp service. The start-up surge should only be for a few seconds or less which shouldn't trip breakers or overheat wiring.

By the way, I think two high-efficiency air conditioners should run on 30-Amps if not much else is running, particularly at night when it's not too hot outside. Specs show some are well under 15 Amps. I'd check AC current draw before buying a generator. It "may" cost very little extra to have that capability/option (by buying a slightly larger generator) even if you don't plan on using it right away. Just my 2 cents .... I like planning ahead.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:16 AM   #27

Model: 39TKSB3
State: California
THOR #2118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinkr View Post
We have the front 50 amp plug plus the built in Surge Guard surge protector and the Precision Circuits Inc power control system. With all this we were having problem getting power from the two Honda 2000 watt generators into the coach. The fix was recommended by the power control company to Greg Weldon at DRV and passed on to me. "The Power Management will not let the power into your unit because of a open ground. To correct this problem; use a new 15amp male three prong plug in - install a wire from the ground prong (top prong and green screw) to the neutral prong (silver screw). DO NOT USE the Hot or Power prong (bronze or copper). Plug the male plugin into one of the 15 amps female receptacle on either generator. This will fix your problem". That is a quote from the note I got from Greg and it worked with no issues. We have used the generators on the 50amp plug on the front of the RV and the main power cord at the rear. We can only use one AC unit and two TV's and Refrigerator without over loading the generators.
This works fine for me with one generator and I have used it for 18 months. The neutral ground works perfectly. When the second generator is parrelled in both will run but the amps for the second are not showing. One leg shows 13 amps the othe shows 0, are you sure you are getting more than 13 or so amp? I have included a photo of the plug. It is correct. This is really puzzling. You are the first one I have met that it is working for with a new DRV with the electronic protection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1938  

Now Retired
TahoeShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:44 AM   #28

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Before I would pull the trigger I would want to know who the engine & generator is mfg by and is it imported and from where.
I have seen several that were mfg in China & lessor known Asian countries...
Didn't last very long and parts were non existent...
Also are they approved by USFS. (US Forrest Service)

Be careful and choose wisely my friend
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #29

THOR #1668
I'm now leaning towards the new Yamaha 2000. Actually the combo with Parr ell kit. This provides 3600 watts/30 amps
Old 05-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #30

Model: Dallas
THOR #3440
Quote:
This works fine for me with one generator and I have used it for 18 months. The neutral ground works perfectly. When the second generator is parrelled in both will run but the amps for the second are not showing. One leg shows 13 amps the othe shows 0, are you sure you are getting more than 13 or so amp? I have included a photo of the plug. It is correct. This is really puzzling. You are the first one I have met that it is working for with a new DRV with the electronic protection.
We have used the plug exactly like you have pictured and it works for us. We have only been able to run one AC with the other things that normally run in the coach that can't be switched over to other sources. I didn't notice the amps when it was running or if both sides were showing power on the Surge Guard Pannel. I will have to look at this next time we use it. I was thinking that if you are connected to the 30 amp plug on the one generator and the proper 30 amp to 50 amp adapter that plugs into the plug on the front of the coach that both sides would be powered up so all equipment in the coach would work. It should be the same thing as connecting to 30 amp shore power in campgrounds that 50 amp is not available.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #31

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Quote:
I'm now leaning towards the new Yamaha 2000. Actually the combo with Parr ell kit. This provides 3600 watts/30 amps
I think that's a smart way to go. Years ago we bought a Honda EU300i to power our first fifth wheel when needed. It worked well, then we upgraded a couple of times. Well now we have the Suites and I KNOW I'm not going to run a whole lot with it but it suits our needs to a degree. The biggest down side is the Honda "seems" to be getting heavier every year!

Two in parallel makes a LOT of sense to me not to mention just a tad more power if the need arises.

Dan
Old 05-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #32

Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
Quote:
By all means, keep in mind that I'm not an electrician, so a lot of this stuff goes over my head. However, with regards to the bonding plug and running two generators paralleled together, would each generator need to have its own bonding plug? Would that make a difference with allowing "all" the amps into the coach?

On our coach (2010 model) we had the Progressive Industries power protection installed aftermarket and when using the generator without a bonding plug, I have to flip the bypass switch on the remote display; otherwise, no power goes into the coach.

Terry
Old 05-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #33

THOR #1668
Well after all the flip flops, reading reviews, and of course you'all's inputs, do believe I will be ordering the Yamaha EF4500ISE. This will mount on my swivel trailer. I will fix some sort of canopy to use when weather is bad so that I don't have to move it around. (200 LBS.)
Old 05-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #34

THOR #1668
Bought the Yamaha EF4500ISE. I have only fired it up in order to listen to it run. With no load this thing is very quiet. I had to order an adapter plug for the 30 amp so I will hook it up to the camper when it arrives.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:21 AM   #35

Model: 43' MS Atlanta
State: Arizona
THOR #1683
Quote:
Bought the Yamaha EF4500ISE. I have only fired it up in order to listen to it run. With no load this thing is very quiet. I had to order an adapter plug for the 30 amp so I will hook it up to the camper when it arrives.
Wow! How exciting! Please keep us informed about how it well it operates the things in the trailer.

Joe
Old 05-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #36

THOR #1668
Ok...so yesterday I hooked it up. I made one of those neutral to gnd. bonding plugs first then fired it up. I turned on one A/C (living room) with fan on high. Boiled water in the microwave and had the TV on and some lights. Checked the power meter on the generator and it was registering about 3/4 capacity. I did not have the refrigerator plugged in at this time. o Not sure how much that will draw. But overall I'm very happy.

BTW, with all that load it was still very quiet.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #37

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Sounds like you have the winning combination! I don't think your fridge is going to draw what that microwave was drawing boiling water.

You should be good to go now, good luck with your new "toy".

Dan