Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2016, 05:27 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
DRV paint

I am getting bugs creating chips in my paint. I wiped one off of the nose of the rig, about 6-8 inches from the roof and it took some paint with it. This is CRAZY to me. I just wanted to see if anyone else is having the same issues?

Old 05-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #2

Model: Dallas
State: Texas
THOR #3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I am getting bugs creating chips in my paint. I wiped one off of the nose of the rig, about 6-8 inches from the roof and it took some paint with it. This is CRAZY to me. I just wanted to see if anyone else is having the same issues?
I haven't noticed any chips in the paint where bugs hit but have plenty of chips where gravel have came up from the road and hit. Both of the Suites we have had has full body paint or clear coat on the end caps that may be harder than gel coat that is not covered. I have heard also that Love Bugs if left on the front of the RV can cause damage to the paint. I don't know this personally because as soon as we stop after driving into these critters, they get washed off.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Living in Love Bug country, use Bounce to get them off.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #4

Model: 41RSSB4
State: Wyoming
THOR #2094
No chips on the front of ours from what I've seen. (Just hand washed all the bugs off with Turtle-brand bug and tar remover. Took three bottles) We didn't clear coat our rig either, just keep a few layers of wax on it.

2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab Longbed. Cummins, Aisin, 4.10
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:18 AM   #5

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinkr View Post
I haven't noticed any chips in the paint where bugs hit but have plenty of chips where gravel have came up from the road and hit. Both of the Suites we have had has full body paint or clear coat on the end caps that may be harder than gel coat that is not covered. I have heard also that Love Bugs if left on the front of the RV can cause damage to the paint. I don't know this personally because as soon as we stop after driving into these critters, they get washed off.
I do the same thing and wash the nose after a day's travel. Much easier to get them off while they are fresh. My coach has full clear coat also. I also have a couple coats of wax on the nose also.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #6

Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
Just got washed and waxed today. Love bugs in Florida will eat the paint off after 3 or 4 days.
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote