Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Tennessee
Posts: 148
THOR #1668
New Inverter Generator on Market

This one has caught my attention. LIFAN Energy Storm 7000-Watt 389cc Gasoline Powered Electric/Remote Start Digital Inverter Generator, Electronic Fuel Injected-ESI7000iER-EFI - The Home Depot

Close to pulling the trigger. Just wish there were more reviews on it. Only two on Home Depot's site. One loves it and the other guy didn't like the fact it wasn't set up with 240V. I don't need 240v. Anyone else familiar with this one?
__________________

__________________
Tneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,707
THOR #2121
My 2 cents....

From a specification standpoint there are two things that jumped out at me. The first is that fuel consumption doesn't seem to be listed correctly in the specs. The fuel rate (GPH) at rated capacity is the same as at 50% based on tank size and run time. That's highly unlikely to be the case. It's probably correct at 50% power but at 100% I'd expect burning more fuel. It's probably a typo in specs.

Weight is significant too. I'm guessing it would take two strong men to lift it. For comparison I looked at 2,000/1,600 watt model and it weighs almost twice as much as a Honda (kind of the standard). Noise level for that 2,000-watt size generator is a little higher than a Honda also.


If I were looking to buy, I'd research how much fuel it burns at lower power levels. Honda and others list fuel burn rate at 25% of rated power, which in the case of such a large generator would be important for me to know. Normally the lower the power output the lower the efficiency, so oversizing the generator may cost a little more in fuel (which may be insignificant if you don't run it much).
__________________

__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:08 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Hittntherooad's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 30.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 326
THOR #3952
My 2 cents

Get 2 Honda 2000's.
They will run everything you need. If you don't need AC then you more than likely will only need one. Proven, quiet and reliable. You can load and unload easily. Can carry one in each hand.
Most of my friends sold their Honda 3000's and bought 2 2000's.
Mayberry usually has a deal for 2 with the 30 amp breaker on one with the connecting wires.
__________________
Hittntherooad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,557
THOR #1661
If you have the 220V dryer option you will want the 220V gen. I have the Commercial Cummins/Onan 6500 it really works well!

__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: Dallas
State: Kansas
Posts: 16
THOR #3754
Cummins, How long does this run on one of the 40# tanks? I know it depends on the load you have on it, but in general. Looked at a used 2013 MS the other day and it only had 6 hours on the hour meter.
__________________
Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,707
THOR #2121
My sister's fairly new 5500-watt LPG Onan on her trailer has this rating:

1.8 pounds/hour at no load

3.3 pounds/hour at 50% load

4.6 pounds/hour at 100% load

Running two air conditioners steady on a hot day will go through a 40-pound tank pretty fast. They were disappointed because it didn't last nearly as long as the sales guy told them. Checking specs showed he was full of it.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:23 PM   #7
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 2,111
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tneagle View Post
This one has caught my attention. LIFAN Energy Storm 7000-Watt 389cc Gasoline Powered Electric/Remote Start Digital Inverter Generator, Electronic Fuel Injected-ESI7000iER-EFI - The Home Depot

Close to pulling the trigger. Just wish there were more reviews on it. Only two on Home Depot's site. One loves it and the other guy didn't like the fact it wasn't set up with 240V. I don't need 240v. Anyone else familiar with this one?
If you want reviews...go to Amazon and paste in your description of that unit...there are several choices and all have reviews.
LIFAN Energy Storm 7000-Watt 389cc Gasoline Powered
showing this on Amazon..unfortunately, no reviews on that particular unit..many reviews of LIFANs other units
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #8
Member
 
BrianA.C.E's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 30.2
State: Florida
Posts: 60
THOR #4139
When I bought my 40ft 5er with 50 amp service I bought a Kipor 6000 watt inverter generator that looks very similar to that one but it was yellow. I sold it soon after due to it would not run my trailer with both A/C's on.
__________________
BrianA.C.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,707
THOR #2121
There is also a lot of difference between common air conditioners. Some 15,000 BTU/hr units can pull 2,000 watts or more depending on operating conditions. And some energy efficient 13,500 BTU/hr units supposedly pull just over 10 Amps at rated capacity, or around 1,200 watts.

Air conditioners' starting-current requirements also vary a bunch which affects needed generator size.

For owners who are going to power air conditioners from generators on a regular basis, it may make sense to pay a premium for high efficiency ACs up front to save it later on smaller generator and fuel costs.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,557
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats View Post
Cummins, How long does this run on one of the 40# tanks? I know it depends on the load you have on it, but in general. Looked at a used 2013 MS the other day and it only had 6 hours on the hour meter.
Honestly I don't remember. It is thirsty! But that is with two AC's running along with other things.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #11
Member
 
hardinkr's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: Dallas
State: Texas
Posts: 31
THOR #3440
We had an 09 Elite with a 5500 watt Onan that used two 40lb tanks of propane in 23 hours pulling 2 15K btu Dometic AC's and normal equipment on board like coffee pot, tv's, lights and refrigerator. This was during very hot weather in Alabama so the AC's were operating at full capacity most of the time. We now have 2 of the 2000 watt Honda's we carry in our 2015 Moble Suite.
__________________
hardinkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:04 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,557
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinkr View Post
We had an 09 Elite with a 5500 watt Onan that used two 40lb tanks of propane in 23 hours pulling 2 15K btu Dometic AC's and normal equipment on board like coffee pot, tv's, lights and refrigerator. This was during very hot weather in Alabama so the AC's were operating at full capacity most of the time. We now have 2 of the 2000 watt Honda's we carry in our 2015 Moble Suite.
I assume you will only run one AC at a time with the Honda's?

I can run all three AC's but I need to shut some other things off.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:15 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,707
THOR #2121
I wasn't aware Honda made an inverter generator as large as 7,000 watt max/5,500 watt rated power, which serves as a more direct comparison.

Honda EU7000i Model Info | Super Quiet 7000 Watt Inverter Generator | Honda Generators

The Honda is a lot more expensive at $4,500 MSRP, but has 220-volt capability and larger 5.1-gallon fuel tank. The main advantage I see to this Honda (other than Honda reputation) is that it should run one air conditioner throughout the night without having to refuel.

Honda 2,000/1,600 generators with 0.95-gallon fuel tanks require refueling more often. Even if they could run a small AC they probably wouldn't make it through the night unless Honda makes a 2,000-watt model with a larger fuel tank that I'm not aware of.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
Posts: 187
THOR #1667
Chance,

There are a LOT of tank options available to extend the run time on the Honda generators (or any other for that matter). You can even get a Honda that is modified as a tri-fuel to run gasoline, propane or natural gas for different options depending on your fuel supply.
__________________
2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite
2016 Smart
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:42 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Hittntherooad's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 30.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 326
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I wasn't aware Honda made an inverter generator as large as 7,000 watt max/5,500 watt rated power, which serves as a more direct comparison.

Honda EU7000i Model Info | Super Quiet 7000 Watt Inverter Generator | Honda Generators

The Honda is a lot more expensive at $4,500 MSRP, but has 220-volt capability and larger 5.1-gallon fuel tank. The main advantage I see to this Honda (other than Honda reputation) is that it should run one air conditioner throughout the night without having to refuel.

Honda 2,000/1,600 generators with 0.95-gallon fuel tanks require refueling more often. Even if they could run a small AC they probably wouldn't make it through the night unless Honda makes a 2,000-watt model with a larger fuel tank that I'm not aware of.
2 Honda 2000's ($2000) hooked together equals 4000 watts. They sell a kit to hook up a 6,12,20 gallon tank to run them as long as you want and if not running AC, just run one saving gas. Lightweight too.
__________________
Hittntherooad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:21 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,707
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
2 Honda 2000's ($2000) hooked together equals 4000 watts. They sell a kit to hook up a 6,12,20 gallon tank to run them as long as you want and if not running AC, just run one saving gas. Lightweight too.
Thanks for feedback. I would only need one to run AC on my van, so that would keep it simple and cheap (~$1,000). Unfortunately where I would need it most they don't allow portable generators (at football games).

Hopefully I can replace my van before too long with a motorhome that has built-in generator, so it doesn't make much sense to upgrade anything on my old van.

By the way, these Hondas are only rated at 1,600 watt continuos, so two of them are only 3,200 watts combined. This is also important when estimating fuel burn rate because they are listed based on "rated" capacity, presumably the 1,600-watt capacity.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:48 PM   #17
Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3
State: California
Posts: 37
THOR #2118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinkr View Post
We had an 09 Elite with a 5500 watt Onan that used two 40lb tanks of propane in 23 hours pulling 2 15K btu Dometic AC's and normal equipment on board like coffee pot, tv's, lights and refrigerator. This was during very hot weather in Alabama so the AC's were operating at full capacity most of the time. We now have 2 of the 2000 watt Honda's we carry in our 2015 Moble Suite.

I would be interested if you can run both Hondas and have the trailer accept more than 13 amps. On my 2015 MS the transfer switch will accept only one generator and will cut out the power of the second one. I called Surgeguard and they verified that the parallel hook up will not work with their Transfer switch. How did you do it?
__________________
Tim & Cheryl
2015 MS 39TKSB3
2015 3500 GMC Dually

Now Retired
TahoeShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:23 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
Posts: 187
THOR #1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeShark View Post
I would be interested if you can run both Hondas and have the trailer accept more than 13 amps. On my 2015 MS the transfer switch will accept only one generator and will cut out the power of the second one. I called Surgeguard and they verified that the parallel hook up will not work with their Transfer switch. How did you do it?
Do you have a 50 amp, 240 volt receptacle in the front of your coach? I can run pretty much anything into that plug with the proper adapter.
__________________
2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite
2016 Smart
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:39 AM   #19
Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3
State: California
Posts: 37
THOR #2118
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
Do you have a 50 amp, 240 volt receptacle in the front of your coach? I can run pretty much anything into that plug with the proper adapter.
Yes I do. I plug the paralleled Honda Companion into the front 50 amp and only line one will show current draw on the current meter in the coach.. The transfer switch cuts the other line off. It thinks it is protecting the trailer. I can hook up my non inverter generator with no problems getting the full power.. I can hook up one 2000 or one 3000 and it works great. Before someone asks, yes I have the Honda kit and yes I have the ground bonding plug in the generator. Surgeguard says the only way to get the parallel inverter generators full power is to bypass the transfer switch. I am not going to do that. I might forget to switch it back and really get some bad power
__________________
Tim & Cheryl
2015 MS 39TKSB3
2015 3500 GMC Dually

Now Retired
TahoeShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Tennessee
Posts: 148
THOR #1668
So...back to my question I'm not concerned about the weight. I will be mounting this on my swivel wheel trailer. It has 6500 running watts. No need to parallel. Fuel injected so attitudes won't effect it. And I do not need 240V. Homedepot offers an additional 3 yr. Warranty for $280. This kicks in after the manufacturers warranty is over. All this for the same cost of two Honda 2000's with the kit. Any other comments on this one?
Thanks
__________________

__________________
Tneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×