Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2022, 12:20 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 2018 MS 38RSSA
State: Alberta
THOR #16726
Onan install (DRV)

Hello We have an Onan 5500 that I took out of a previous 5th wheel that I would like to install in our 2018 38RSSA with the factory generator prep already in it. Does anybody know what is involved in doing it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 01:12 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Golly - not knowing what your prep contains, there is a ton to consider:
-Opening size
-Gen Set fuel connection
-12 volt electrical to start and manage GenSet
-High voltage connection to house (with or without transfer switch)
-Exhaust routing
If you're not mechanically and electrically inclined, better fine folks who are.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:17 PM   #3

THOR #16726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy2 View Post
Golly - not knowing what your prep contains, there is a ton to consider:
-Opening size
-Gen Set fuel connection
-12 volt electrical to start and manage GenSet
-High voltage connection to house (with or without transfer switch)
-Exhaust routing
If you're not mechanically and electrically inclined, better fine folks who are.
I hate to be another one to say this but that is why I said DRV and it is a 5th wheel not a motor home. Yes the box is prepped for an Onan 5500.
Old 04-18-2022, 02:40 PM   #4

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
If possible I would look at another install in a "DRV".
Old 04-18-2022, 02:52 PM   #5

THOR #16726
Would love to but I do not know of any within 1000km. There is not even a dealer in western Canada lol...
Old 04-18-2022, 03:04 PM   #6

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingnut View Post
Hello We have an Onan 5500 that I took out of a previous 5th wheel that I would like to install in our 2018 38RSSA with the factory generator prep already in it. Does anybody know what is involved in doing it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
If you removed it, you should know what is involved with re-installing it... you looking for a "How-to" manual? It being prepped for that model should make it a whole lot easier and Sappy2 was giving you the basics.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:04 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I hate to be another one to say this but that is why I said DRV and it is a 5th wheel not a motor home. Yes the box is prepped for an Onan 5500.
Nothing Sappy said is MH specific. It is generic to any generator install whether in your "generator prepped" 5th wheel or any other RV. I certainly hope Thor's definition of "generator prepped" is more complete that their definition of "solar prepped" but I guess you'll find out as you get deeper into it.

Good luck with your install!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:35 PM   #8

THOR #16471
Without the model number, I guessed, but maybe this "How-to" manual from Onan will help.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:33 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
If you removed it, you should know what is involved with re-installing it... you looking for a "How-to" manual? It being prepped for that model should make it a whole lot easier and Sappy2 was giving you the basics.
The new 5th wheel (DRV) may not be prepped or configured the same as the old 5th wheel from which the generator was removed which leads to the OP’s post.

As everyone is aware all manufacturers prep things differently and the basics has no bearing on the actual installation into a prepped area. And the prep of a generator box on a 5th wheel may be entirely different than the prep on a Motorhome.

Hopefully another DRV owners can provide some insight.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:49 PM   #10

THOR #16726
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
The new 5th wheel (DRV) may not be prepped or configured the same as the old 5th wheel from which the generator was removed which leads to the OP’s post.

As everyone is aware all manufacturers prep things differently and the basics has no bearing on the actual installation into a prepped area. And the prep of a generator box on a 5th wheel may be entirely different than the prep on a Motorhome.

Thanks yes I am looking for an actual drv owner
Old 04-22-2022, 10:08 PM   #11

THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post

The OP said "We have an Onan 5500 that I took out of a previous 5th wheel"
I looked up the brochure for the OPs "DRV" and found in the Options section:
• Generator Prep
• Onan® 5,500 Marquis Gold Generator with Prep

Close enough to being prepped for a 5500 I thought, without actually doing the re-install for the OP, what is it they want, Plug and Play?
Old 04-22-2022, 10:33 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
The OP said "We have an Onan 5500 that I took out of a previous 5th wheel"
I looked up the brochure for the OPs "DRV" and found in the Options section:
• Generator Prep
• Onan® 5,500 Marquis Gold Generator with Prep

Close enough to being prepped for a 5500 I thought, without actually doing the re-install for the OP, what is it they want, Plug and Play?
The OP was very specific in what they are asking. Has anyone done the install in a DRV and if so what was involved in the install.

Please allow DRV owners to respond.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:10 PM   #13

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:

Thanks
Do you have the steel floor with the cutouts in the compartment?
Did you locate the transfer switch yet?
It will be behind the gray sliders, about as far back as possible and most likely crushing the off door side living area heat supply flex hose.

You should have the simple gen plug and play connectors, running the propane supply and the 6/4 wire to the transfer switch will be the hard part after you figure out how to get the genny in the compartment.

There are youtube videos of various methods people have used sliding the gen into place.

Did you save the exhaust pipe off the previous RV?

A side note on the exhaust, I had to lengthen my exhaust so that it would exit between the slides instead of under the bedroom. 2nd note, if you can, make sure it exits in a location that would allow future use of a Gen-turi if you think you have a need for that. Mine is located near the water heater but i hardly ever use the gas mode.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:33 PM   #14

THOR #16726
Thanks Porthole
I have the wood floor and I was not sure if I would have to make a steel floor for it. Yes I have found the transfer switch, they could not have put it any further away.
The floor and the exhaust were my 2 biggest concerns. Also cutting and sealing caroplast underneath. I have the original exhaust but it looks close to being under my bedroom slide.
Still undecided if I want to do it myself or pay someone. But know one within what seems to be a 20 hour drive has ever put one in a DRV.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:38 PM   #15

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
The ‘opening’ at the floor level should be boxed in already. Cut a flap in the corroplast and look.
On my current and previous trailers, both with factory gensets the opening from underneath was boxed in/framed with approximately 2x6 steel framing. The corroplast was cut using that framing as the guide.

My trailer won’t be home for another week or so for pictures. But, mine was a factory order with a diesel genset. So it was essentially a ‘gen prepped’ trailer that was then sent to Onan in Elkhart for the actual install.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote