Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 41RSSB4
State: Wyoming
THOR #2094
Power Control System

Has anyone had any trouble from their factory installed Precision Circuits power management system? My understanding of the way the system is supposed to work is that when not hooked up to 50 amp or genny, the system monitors how much power is being used and instead of allowing you to trip the breaker in the event you draw too much power, it starts turning off other devices. I believe it's supposed to start with the electric water heater, then the bedroom A/C, and then the living A/C if one still needs more juice.

Mine just shuts off all A/C power to the rig. Kills everything. Kind of annoying where we are gonna be on 30 amp for the next two months. We've become skilled in managing the power ourselves, but I want this system I paid for to work!

Does anyone else have any similar experiences?

Old 05-26-2016, 12:34 AM   #2

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
I think the power management system works like you stated. Not sure of the sequence of what gets turned off in what order. But I hooked up to a 30 amp service for a couple of days in my travels and no issues at all.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #3

THOR #2094
Talked with precision circuits today, and they are thinking the issue is with the surge guard unit based on the description of the issue.

Spoke with surge guard, and we started looking at the voltage levels. They ideally want 120v per leg, and at this particular site I have 110. If the voltage drops to 102 per leg or less, the surge guard unit will cut AC power to the rig to protect the electronics. I'm going to pay attention to what the voltage does to see how much variance we're getting.

2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab Longbed. Cummins, Aisin, 4.10
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #4

State: Alabama
THOR #3543
If you plan to be where you are for a while and the voltage is a problem, the use of an autoformer may help.

FS
Old 06-03-2016, 10:29 PM   #5

THOR #2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by frscherock@gmail.com View Post
If you plan to be where you are for a while and the voltage is a problem, the use of an autoformer may help.

FS
Thanks for bringing this up, I had no idea these even existed.

I wonder how difficult it would be to wire it in in the compartment with the cord reel...
Old 06-04-2016, 12:39 AM   #6

THOR #3543
I had one hard wired on my previous 5th wheel. I have looked at the compartment where the power cord comes out on my 2015 41RSSB4 and there does not appear to be room to install. They can be free standing and external.

FS
Old 06-04-2016, 02:39 AM   #7

THOR #2094
Quote:
I had one hard wired on my previous 5th wheel. I have looked at the compartment where the power cord comes out on my 2015 41RSSB4 and there does not appear to be room to install. They can be free standing and external.

FS
Yeah, that 50 amp unit looks pretty big. I went ahead and ordered one for $500 on Amazon. From what I found on the interwebnet it seems low voltage sites are fairly common, and I certainly don't want to fry any of my electronics.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #8

THOR #3543
When you receive the Autoformer, let me know if you were able to hard wire .

You would need an adapter kit to do so. Remember when free standing, they are water resistant not water proof and you may want to secure someway to prevent theft.

FS
Old 06-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #9

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
I removed mine from our 07.5 mS and have it to where I can remove if I so choose.

I was lucky about 6 years ago I bought mine for $300 it was in new condition never used.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #10

THOR #3543
I wonder if you cord compartment is the same size as mine. I measured and did not think I could install< or have installed. Give me some measurements of your area adjacent to the cord reel.

Thanks,

FS
Old 06-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #11

THOR #3543
Another question re: your compartment. Did you remove the large junction box that the reel is connected to before installing the Autoformer? If I did that, I would have room.

FS
Old 06-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #12

THOR #1661
Quote:
Another question re: your compartment. Did you remove the large junction box that the reel is connected to before installing the Autoformer? If I did that, I would have room.

FS
Yes I did, you should be fine. I could have hard wired but I wanted the option to remove if it ever failed.

I also screwed down a small pc of "L" metal in front and the right side to keep the AutoFormer in place.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #13

THOR #3543
Do you have any cover protection around the wires where the junction box was or are the large wire nuts and wires totally exposed?

FS
Old 06-06-2016, 05:33 PM   #14

THOR #1661
Quote:
Do you have any cover protection around the wires where the junction box was or are the large wire nuts and wires totally exposed?

FS
The cord from inside the RV is connected to a Camco 50A cord cap that plugs into the back of the AutoFormer.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:21 AM   #15

THOR #2094
The autoformer is working beautifully. Besides the voltage increase verified by two devices, I can tell that my A/C is working much more efficiently. I'm now able to run both A/C's as well, whereas before I couldn't at this park. I was going to hard wire into the rig, but looking at the owners manual that will void my warranty. So I'll need to do an installation similar to what Cummins has done.

Big thanks again for those that suggested this. I had no idea that low voltage was an issue, especially an issue that could damage my electrical devices.

2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab Longbed. Cummins, Aisin, 4.10
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:39 PM   #16

THOR #1661
I will take a better pic to show all connections better.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #17

THOR #3543
Great. I have a 41RSSB4 also. My concern is the junction box. Hate the thought of the wires no matter how well connected being exposed. With the current junction box, I cannot install in the cord area.

FS
Old 06-10-2016, 02:17 PM   #18

THOR #1661
Quote:
Great. I have a 41RSSB4 also. My concern is the junction box. Hate the thought of the wires no matter how well connected being exposed. With the current junction box, I cannot install in the cord area.

FS
Don't give up!!! You remove the junction box and install a Male 50A cord cap. The feeder wire to the RV panels comes over the top of the frame then into your junction box. I wrapped the cord several times with quality electrical tape. There is no chance of anything chafing the wire.

Shorten the male end of the AutoFormer if needed and install a 50A male cord cap. Install a 50A female cord cap on cord from reel.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:29 PM   #19

THOR #3543
I may appear dense. I am. It would appear that you did not use the optional internal mounting kit. Am I f0llowing you properly that the wires (feeder) that go into the top of the junction box are removed and a male cord cap is installed and that you install a female cord cop on the reel wire.. Plug the new feeder wire male into the open plug on the transformer and the female cordreel plug into the preinstalled male plug on the transformer. Ground wire remains where it is? It would appear that the only parts I need are a 50 amp male and a 50 amp female cord cap

FS
Old 06-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #20

THOR #2094
Quote:
I may appear dense. I am. It would appear that you did not use the optional internal mounting kit. Am I f0llowing you properly that the wires (feeder) that go into the top of the junction box are removed and a male cord cap is installed and that you install a female cord cop on the reel wire.. Plug the new feeder wire male into the open plug on the transformer and the female cordreel plug into the preinstalled male plug on the transformer. Ground wire remains where it is? It would appear that the only parts I need are a 50 amp male and a 50 amp female cord cap

FS
50 amp male and 50 amp female connections are how I plan on doing it.

Thank for all the pictures Cummins. Very helpful.