Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2022, 03:53 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
THOR #4040
Process for Sanitizing fresh water tank

I have looked thru this site and don't see any postings on Sanitizing.

So, what procedure do you use for your DRV to sanitize your fresh water tank? I am sure you by pass the hot water heater. Your help is always appreciated. I do have a transfer pump.

Thanks

Don

DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 04:59 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
I would call Thor they can tell you how to clean and sanitize your system based on your model.

Good luck
Old 04-16-2022, 05:12 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Montana HC 375FL 5th whee
State: Indiana
THOR #25836
Sanitizing any RV, regardless of make, model, or year is done all exactly the same way. By pass the water heater and pump a sanitizing solution into the fresh water tank until full. With the on-board water pump, pump water through all the water lines, both hot and cold until it starts spewing the sanitizing solution. When it does that, turn off the faucet and let everything sit for a few hours.

After a few hours, simply drain the fresh water tank and flush everything out again with fresh water. You are now good to go.

Water heater probably does not need to be sanitized, although, it won't hurt to do it.

Now, you pump the sanitizing solution into the tank using the winterizing process. If that means hooking up a separate hose directly to the water pump and pumping from a bucket, or if you camper has a winterizing port in your wet-bay / service-bay area.

That's all you do. Now, how you winterize (or in this case, sanitize) your specific camper, where the valves are located, which direction you flip them, where the water pump is located, all of that, that's specific to your camper, someone else with a DRV will have to address that. But, if you've ever winterized your camper, you do the sanitizing the same way.
Old 04-16-2022, 05:20 PM   #4

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
2 cups bleach to 100 gallons water.

Drain your tank and close valve. Remove water filter. Turn Andersen Valve to fresh tank fill. Have your hose that comes from domestic supply to RV empty. Hook the male end of the hose to the domestic supply. Now add the two cups bleach to the hose then connect to the RV. Now open domestic supply and fill the tank full. Once full turn the pump on with domestic supply off and run thru all the lines. Allow to stand for a few hours then drain tank then hookup domestic supply and flush out all the lines. You can fill and drain tank again if you want to.
Old 04-16-2022, 05:53 PM   #5

Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
THOR #4040
Sanitizing

Thanks Cummins. Can always depend on a DRV owner to come thru.

Thanks

Don
DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 06:39 PM   #6

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonandPatti View Post
Thanks Cummins. Can always depend on a DRV owner to come thru.

Thanks

Don
You are welcome! Full disclosure I have not done it yet but it should work!!!
Old 04-30-2022, 01:58 PM   #7

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
The recommended bleach mix is 1/4 cup to 15 gallons of water. I always round up to the 2 cups mentioned above by Cummins.

How you get it into the tank depends on how the RV was plumbed. If it has the will leak valve you can add the bleach to a 5 gallon bucket of water use the sanitize feature to pull the water.

Or, your water filter may or may not be plumbed to filter water going into the tank. Put the bleach in the canister and fill the tank.

I always bypass the heater and will drain, flush and check the anode at this time.

I put the filter bypass in the fridge and run the solution through it as well. My water dispenser is on the inside of the fridge so when it comes time to flush I use a 3’ long piece of clear hose from the dispenser to the sink

I let the mixture sit 6-8 hours

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:22 PM   #8

THOR #1661
FYI, 7 years full time use never sanitized anything. Still alive!
Old 04-30-2022, 04:38 PM   #9

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I do it mainly because we travel with dogs and a ‘sensitive system’ human. Last thing I want to deal with on the road is digestive problems !

I sanitize at the beginning of the season and maybe once during the year or anytime I put suspect CG water in our tank.

I’ll add that we carry water (frequently leave home with a full tank) and we drink our stored water.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:51 PM   #10

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Just me. I don’t drink any camp ground water. We only drink bottled water. I only give my dog bottled water when traveling also.

Just call me suspicious of camp ground water.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:52 PM   #11

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthole View Post
I do it mainly because we travel with dogs and a ‘sensitive system’ human. Last thing I want to deal with on the road is digestive problems !

I sanitize at the beginning of the season and maybe once during the year or anytime I put suspect CG water in our tank.

I’ll add that we carry water (frequently leave home with a full tank) and we drink our stored water.

I know I should do it, just been lazy. I have two places I fill the tank and they are good West Coast water. I just need to get it done!
Old 05-01-2022, 09:29 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
I know I should do it, just been lazy. I have two places I fill the tank and they are good West Coast water. I just need to get it done!

I’ve never done it either in many years of RV travel. I’d only do it if I notice a rotten egg smell. I think the problem mostly occurs with well water or water that is left standing for a very long time. If you use good chlorinated city water and empty your tanks after each trip you’ll probably be fine.
Old 05-02-2022, 12:53 AM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I sanitize ours after it has sat for more than a month. We filter the water from the tank before drinking.

On water quality... While out hiking in the woods, our dog Marco often drinks water straight from creeks, and it hasn't affected him one bit. But then... he's a dog - who would drink from a toilet if we let him.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:51 PM   #14

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Same here, but we live in it full time like you.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:55 PM   #15

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grampa View Post
Just me. I don’t drink any camp ground water. We only drink bottled water. I only give my dog bottled water when traveling also.

Just call me suspicious of camp ground water.
That’s why my water runs through a 5 micron sediment filter to a 1 micron carbon block filter and any water that is cooked with or any water we drink goes through our Berky. We did this so we would not need to carry cases of water taking up space and adding weight. Not to mention better for the environment. Plus bottled water is not always good water, Google it.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:33 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Sanitizing any RV, regardless of make, model, or year is done all exactly the same way. By pass the water heater and pump a sanitizing solution into the fresh water tank until full. With the on-board water pump, pump water through all the water lines, both hot and cold until it starts spewing the sanitizing solution. When it does that, turn off the faucet and let everything sit for a few hours.

After a few hours, simply drain the fresh water tank and flush everything out again with fresh water. You are now good to go.

Water heater probably does not need to be sanitized, although, it won't hurt to do it.

Now, you pump the sanitizing solution into the tank using the winterizing process. If that means hooking up a separate hose directly to the water pump and pumping from a bucket, or if you camper has a winterizing port in your wet-bay / service-bay area.

That's all you do. Now, how you winterize (or in this case, sanitize) your specific camper, where the valves are located, which direction you flip them, where the water pump is located, all of that, that's specific to your camper, someone else with a DRV will have to address that. But, if you've ever winterized your camper, you do the sanitizing the same way.
Hot water tank should be flushed and sanitized. I do mine twice a year. 50 gal fresh water. 1 cup of bleach. Exactly as said above. Also sanitize your fresh water hose.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:59 PM   #17

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
That’s why my water runs through a 5 micron sediment filter to a 1 micron carbon block filter and any water that is cooked with or any water we drink goes through our Berky. We did this so we would not need to carry cases of water taking up space and adding weight. Not to mention better for the environment. Plus bottled water is not always good water, Google it.
Activated carbon filters remove chlorine and many organics. They also exhaust and since they remove chlorine they will promote bug growth being a perfect carbon nutrient

The way to minimize that is to change them any time they have been stagnant and no longer than 6 months in most conditions in service

I have carbon filters ahead and following my RO and pay close attention to them

Sanitizing your housings is important as well. Like you we try to minimize the plastic